Mod Idea: The Wild West

A long you doesn't make a money from it, it isn't illegal i think.

I'm not sure about replacing the FF's with technologies. If that gets placed, then that would mean only one faction would know how to use a cotton gin. It just doesn't seem that realistic.

I don't follow your logic. The technologies would look like Civ, but be gained in a similar way to Col.
Each faction can choose what to get as a tech. Its not like I'm making each resource require a tech.
The bonuses would be much the same, with the exception of railroads by tech. The era was full of technological advances i.e. steel plow would give +1 food to plains, steam thresher would improve pioneer build speed, etc.

I guess I could place a name to each technology, but I don't know for sure and I'm still open to suggestions. :)

I just hope it'll work in Colonization, supposedly, Railroads! assets are hard to get into Civ4 engine games. That's probably because Railroads! wasn't built on the Civ 4 engine,(I don't think,)What's the purpose of the locomotive going to be? Transport? Here's it in motion:

Attachments

• screenshot.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 106
Well, its a nif, so it should work, even if it needs a little coaxing. I'm wondering about how high the poly count is though. I'll import into Blender, reduce the count if needed, and export for Civ 4.

I guess we'll have to see how it goes. :p
Edit:
@ Ekmek
I know that someone (I think Jeckel) made a modcomp that did this.

Can you use the animations from Railroads? And maybe train sounds, so it moves and sounds like a train? What's its purpose anyway? Transport?

I'm pretty sure the animations should still work. I will add train sounds, but probably not for the first release. (I don't play with sounds on, so if I can get a team together, I'll get someone else to do that. :p )
The train will be a faster, higher capacity version of the Wagon train, and hopefully I can make railroads a part of the victory conditions.

Wow, this might be my dream mod. Also, I uploaded a file for Railroads! that changes dates and speeds of locomotives. Feel free to incorporate that:http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12110, I learned limited XML from it. Also, would it be possible to rebuild Railroads! on the Colonization engine in this mod?

Flintlock1415, I'm not an artist, but I'd like to offer these textures for your wild west mod.

Hmm, looks interesting. I'm not so sure what you're asking; are you trying to make a railroads mod with Colonization? I've never played Railroads, so I'm not so sure as to the mechanics that you'd need to introduce.

I would guess that it would be possible, but depending on the differences in the game, I'd guess that you'd need to know your way around a C++ file (or find another person who is good at using the SDK). ;)
EDIT: Just saw your new post. I'm assuming your working on getting those up?

Yes, here they are: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=my. I was curious abut Railroads! in Colonization because it sounded like what you were trying to do. Hope the textures wotk well. I made them myself. No, I'm not trying to make one.
I should add that they're under Colonization Downloads.I made them specifically for this mod.

Thanks for the terrain textures, but I think that I'm going to use the railroad terrain from Civ 4. I may need to make a new river terrain, pending on whether I use bridges or not. This won't necessarily be a Railroads! mod, but it will make railroads a major part of the gameplay. Once again, I've never played Railroads! so any similarities are purely coincidental. ;)

FWIW, I've reduced the poly count from 2271 faces down to 1824, so -447 faces. (The wagon train has 1506, so I think the game can handle 1824.) I'll try to add it in to Colonization, and see if it works or not. It has a nice shader, so it might just work right off the bat.

Thanks for your help and interest in this mod, Modeltrainman! :goodjob:

You're welcome, Flintlock! I can't wait to play it!

Once you get the loco in Colonization can you post a screenshot? I want to see how it looks outside of its intended game.

You must've read my mind, I was just coming here to put it up. The unit went in with minimal resistance; I only had to make a few changes to get it to look right.

So here it is, in all of its glory!

I think I'll upload this in one unit pack with my other Wild West units, ie the pistoleer, ranger, and cavalry.

It's awesome, one question though, why is it gray? Shouldn't it be red? Or blue? Do you want me to paint it? That I can do. Is it animated?

Gray was the color of the texture in the file you gave me. It looks better/more realistic than a blue or red train would imo; I don't think that trains were red or blue during those days. I think gray is best, unless you would like to put a little teamcolor on it.
Yes it is animated, but it looks a little funny since it goes even when you don't move the unit. Its not a big deal, though.

Top Bottom