Mod Idea: The Wild West

I think I'm going to use Monterey as the home city, as it seemed to have been Spain's Capital of California until 1821 (Mexican Independence.) I don't think LA was big until it became a US city, so it will be a colony a bit after San Diego.

I'm just concerned that Mexico and Spain will both be mother countries, but it should work out.

Flintock1415. How's the locomotive coming?

Sounds good. I can't wait to use it.

Okay just a small sign of progress here, I've got most of the train texture finished, I just need to color the main body. I've just left GIMP open and done a little texturing here and there. I've been mainly focused on XML and unit graphics, so this isn't all I've been working on. :p (Although school has been quite busy lately.)

I'll do a a quick run down of what I've done thus far + a pict of the Half-done train:

Civs:
All in, with the exception of Native tribes (need leader names!)
I've done the flags for them, but I still need to do some major leaderhead making, but its likely there will be placeholders in the 1st release. (I tried do a Houston LH one night, but I f***ed it up. I've at least got the texture done, though.)

This also reminds me; Ekmek (if you ever read this), could PLEASE put Santa Anna up separately, I really would like him for my mod, but I don't want to have to pillage Wolfshanze's mod to get it.

Units:
Not a whole lot done, just got the Ranger (Soldier), Cavalry (Dragoon) and some animations from SeZereth for a Pistol shooter (for the unarmed Regular and Veteran Soldier.)
I've got all 3 versions of the Ranger and Cavalry (Regular, Veteran, and Colonist), but I'm still a ways off from being done. I need to think of a new name for the Regular; it was originally going to be US Cavalry, until I threw in Mexico, Britain, and Spain.

I will not have every unit made up for the 1st release; it will likely only be a new homesteader (free colonist) and pioneer. I want to get this sucker cranked out so others can help me. (Esp. with the Gamefont file, it is practically impossible for me to figure that out on my Mac!)

Resources/Buildings:
I've basically got all the art for resources (mostly from Vanilla Civ), its just a matter of putting them in properly.
I probably won't be focusing on buildings (aside from names which are already in) for the first release.

I don't know what else I'm forgetting, but I'll post more screenshots once I get more things to show off. :)
Please keep offering suggestions, I really need some! (See post 14 for what I can't think of myself.)

Attachments

• TrainGold.png
    TrainGold.png
    290 KB · Views: 87
Lets see, I need Brigham Young, William B. Ide, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin, John McLouglin, and John C. Fremont.

I'm going to redo Houston this weekend, and Ekmek *might* do Ide and Fremont. So really if you wanted to do Young, Austin, or McLoughlin, that'd be cool. :)

Looks to be a cool mod.

Flintlock:
I would suggest changing the Californian mother country to Mexico; California, New Mexico, Arizona, and Texas were all part of Mexican territory post-independence, until the Mexican-American war.

In a perfect world, I could do that, but unfortunately the game only allows one mother country. I could make another Mexico, but I think it would look worse to have two Mexican civs, rather than Spain and Mexico. California (as well as Mexico itself) was very much a part of New Spain, until 1821. This mod won't exactly make perfect chronology, but to me its close enough. :p

I also just got the routes restricted for the Train. :D I was wondering if there was a way to get units to be able to load into the train (and hopefully have the AI know about it?)

So right now, these are my priorities for the first release:
Get the railroad to look/work properly. I don't know how it will react to being built over the road route; I want it to work like Civ 4. Also I still need to get the art in for the route.

Next, for the XML work I need to get the Indian Civs squared away, esp. the Leader names. I also need to get the resources in properly.

Art is next up; I'd like to finish most(all) of the leaderheads, make unarmed soldiers/regulars, and make a free colonist and Pioneer. I will also do a custom main menu, but I won't have a custom interface, and most of the buttons and City/Euro screen icons will not be in.

If I'm feeling ambitious enough, I may get a rough version of the map script, but that will most likely have to wait for a later release.

I also just got the routes restricted for the Train. :D I was wondering if there was a way to get units to be able to load into the train (and hopefully have the AI know about it?)

So right now, these are my priorities for the first release:
Get the railroad to look/work properly. I don't know how it will react to being built over the road route; I want it to work like Civ 4. Also I still need to get the art in for the route.

Next, for the XML work I need to get the Indian Civs squared away, esp. the Leader names. I also need to get the resources in properly.

Art is next up; I'd like to finish most(all) of the leaderheads, make unarmed soldiers/regulars, and make a free colonist and Pioneer. I will also do a custom main menu, but I won't have a custom interface, and most of the buttons and City/Euro screen icons will not be in.

If I'm feeling ambitious enough, I may get a rough version of the map script, but that will most likely have to wait for a later release.

Find the code that lets rail replace road in Civ IV and copy paste (with editing). This will help significantly.

To get units loading in the train, commandeer some wagon train code and modify it appropriately. If you've set it up as just another unit, then it might be as simple as editing the XML. I haven't checked.

I think it is spread around all three parts to some degree. What a recommend you do, is open every Civ IV C++ file in something like notepad++, and then do a search for "rail". Then do the same for the python and XML.

Top Bottom