1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod Ideas:Civilization 5: Colonies Lost To Time

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Howard Tafty, May 24, 2015.

1. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

2. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

Yet, its very specific and only hurts the player's enemy as opposed to directly benefiting the player himself.

3. DarthStarkiller

DarthStarkiller King

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the Portuguse Africa icon. It looks too complex, the outer shield is kinda hard to make out, the colors are weird/hurt my eyes and it's not sukitractified. Would you be interested in a new one?

4. Uighur_Caesar

Uighur_Caesar Comandante en Jefe

I think that South Africa design could be made more interesting. For starters, perhaps it could be renamed Cape Colony since that's less of a mouth full than British South Africa. The UA should be more interesting and powerful. Perhaps some references to Cecil Rhodes could be included since he was very influential in British South Africa. I think the UU should be replaced with the Lovat Scouts like Hoop suggested because who doesn't love a ghillie suit. The UI should also give some more bonuses cause it's pretty boring right now. Maybe it could be replaced with the Maxim Gun as a second UU since it was pretty important in the British conquest of Africa.

5. Howard Tafty

Howard Tafty Minister-Chairman

Since I haven't been very active lately here is where I've been allocating all of my resources at this time:
    Spoiler :

6. Natan35

Well it looks great, other than his fingers...

7. Howard Tafty

Silly Natan you know fullwell I'm not in charge of art. Go talk to Olav but honestly if you want perfection go see Jan's work. Sadly even though I wanted this released this Christmas it had to be pushed back due to lack of art.

Anyways I have question, do TXT_KEY errors occur if all referenced text is stored in a seperate file? Does it have to be stored in the main XML file at all times?

8. Uighur_Caesar

It doesn't matter where you define the text keys. If you're getting TXT_KEY errors than something isn't defined or one of the definitions is messed up and messes up the whole file as a result. Just fix it and it'll be fine.

9. OrderofOlav

OrderofOlav King of Procrastination

10. Howard Tafty

Not at all. In fact I'm more cranky since mod making is so monotonous and difficult. If something is going right in one part of the code usually something else in some other part of it is dysfunctional. I'll be taking a break real soon probably to spend some cool down time by playing the Nathan Drake Collection.

11. DoctorMcGann

DoctorMcGann Emperor

How much is left of the Congo Free State? I'd be willing to help out with that.

12. Howard Tafty

Well I'd thought I'd give an update saying I'm mostly alive and that things haven't gone good. FA continues to experience TXT_KEY errors, UA isn't functioning (I've traced it down to something within the Traits.xml file but I'm too arsed to fix it), and other small things. Belgian Congo has some more progress with City Names being functional and the UA does... well what its supposed to do considering I ripped and modified it straight from the Scramble for Africa.

I'd also modified the OP to feature desings. Mostly drafts but its a starting point. Also I'm pretty sure you have figured it out at this point but:
    Spoiler :

WIP

Spanish Civil War scenario? Anybody?

13. Uighur_Caesar

If you need any help with the code let me know. Also, have you abandoned Salazar in favor of Portuguese Africa or do you still plan to make him eventually?

14. Howard Tafty

There was a rumor that Tarcisio wanted make Salazar sometime in the future and as a more experienced modder and obvious lusophone he'd be better for the job. If it isn't true I might change it to include Salazar as well change the design completely.

15. DarthStarkiller

DarthStarkiller King

Not a rumor, he said he wanted to do Portugal under Afonso I (or Manuel, one of them at least), and Salazar while teasing João. And also the Lusitianians under Viriatus.

16. Natan35

Wait: Are you planing on making a Spanish civil war scenario?

17. Howard Tafty

Hello everybody is there any chance I can get some feedback on this:

18. DarthStarkiller

DarthStarkiller King

The Lovat scout seems a bit too strong, perhaps keep only the invisibility part. The UA, on the other hand, feels weak. One thing that you could try is making conquered cities connected via railroad yield a significant amount of extra gold from city connection. As for the border expansion, it depends on how much would be expanded. Maybe they could get extra border growth from being connected?

19. Howard Tafty

Hmm okay I can concede to this:

20. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

So... invisible only to non-adjacent units (like the submarine) or - IMO cooler yet - invisible altogether? (Which I'm pretty sure is theoretically possible)