Mod Ideas:Civilization 5: Colonies Lost To Time

Interesting suggestions, in total I'll try to see critiques through and through.

French Indochina:

For the UA I'm assuming you mean when ending their turn in enemy territory as opposed to garrisoned in enemy territory. I'm also not sure what you mean by "converting" civilian units. The units seem to be alright, although I think more synergy should be present in the design. My immediate thought is instead of naval units getting culture when ending in enemy territory would be them getting culture whenever moving in enemy territory because then the ship's +2 movement and
ignoring ZOC would be more useful.
By "converting" I mean capturing and then incorparating it into your own Empire, Although I am confused as what you mean by "moving into" wouldn't it merely be the same thing as ending your turn in enemy territory, just seems a bit confusing

Nyasaland:

The UA looks nice although I don't think the tile purchasing part is possible. King's African Rifles are going to be used in Our World's Kenya btw. For the UB, 5% and 10% look rather low to me. I think there's potential here too though. Just like the other one more synergy would be great.
Hmm, King's African Rifles has existed for extrenous amount time since late World War I to Post World War II so I dont think More Civs would mind that I use it considering its been pretty iconic in use for colonial governments, maybe the UB use a slight buff as well.

Cuba:

15% is pretty low for an XP boost considering that Shaka gets like 50% IIRC. Units costing no maintenance during war is a nice idea, perhaps too strong, but one that I like. Siege units ignoring walls sounds really strong too and weird since our 3 independence wars were pretty much about guerrilla warfare. The Mambi is the perfect unit for a revolutionary Cuba, I was kind of surprised that Leugi's didn't have it. I would suggest making it a Rifleman or Cavalry replacement though. Rifles existed when our wars were going on and some Mambises rode cavalry also. The first machete armed cavalry charge was done by Cubans and I believe there's a Civ 4 model for them. The Mambi honestly is kind of weird since most of them fought with machetes instead of guns though. I like the duplication idea, not sure if it's possible though. I like the idea of the Machete Charge causing additional damage, those things are scary, trust me. Assistente de Campo is weak in my opinion. I also don't like it. It's very generic, any Spanish army had assistentes de campo because it just means Aide-de-Camp in Spanish, and it doesn't feel very Cuban in my opinion. Another unit or building would be better. Of course this is a draft so it needs a lot of work. I'll think of a design and see what you think of it.
I know that part Germany's UA doesn't have maitnence for land units so thats something I know can be easily incorporated and the experience boost could use work, I actually found out a lot about Cuban history from asking the locals and the Mambises were the perfect fit for this Civ (considering I speak fluent Spanish and the influence from my Uncles), Assistentes de Campo were just a last minute idea that I really didn't have time to develop, I do know however that Unit Duplication is possible through Our World's Red Guard however, looking foward to what you have to offer.

EDIT: Here are some Icons finally!!! Try to guess, easiest things in the world!!

By "converting" I mean capturing and then incorparating it into your own Empire, Although I am confused as what you mean by "moving into" wouldn't it merely be the same thing as ending your turn in enemy territory, just seems a bit confusing

That would just be capturing in that case since they go to your empire upon being captured. By "moving in" I meant for every tile moved within their territory, like Mao's UA but only with the navy.

I know that part Germany's UA doesn't have maitnence for land units so thats something I know can be easily incorporated and the experience boost could use work, I actually found out a lot about Cuban history from asking the locals and the Mambises were the perfect fit for this Civ (considering I speak fluent Spanish and the influence from my Uncles), Assistentes de Campo were just a last minute idea that I really didn't have time to develop, I do know however that Unit Duplication is possible through Our World's Red Guard however, looking foward to what you have to offer.

Oye, que clase sorprenda que tu hablas español! I mean it isn't really that surprising given that Spanish is like the second or third most spoken language in the world, but it still catches me off guard when Americans (which I'm assuming that you are) speak Spanish. Are your uncles Cuban out of curiosity? Anyway, as to the actual design I was thinking that a cultural, rather than militaristic one would be better. Leugi's Cuba is already a domination civ and I'm not going to spoil CL's design, but it has some military aspects to it as one would expect from a Communist civ. I think that making culture the primary focus would allow it to be more different from the other Cubas. I'm still trying to finalize that design.

That would just be capturing in that case since they go to your empire upon being captured. By "moving in" I meant for every tile moved within their territory, like Mao's UA but only with the navy.

Oye, que clase sorprenda que tu hablas español! I mean it isn't really that surprising given that Spanish is like the second or third most spoken language in the world, but it still catches me off guard when Americans (which I'm assuming that you are) speak Spanish. Are your uncles Cuban out of curiosity? Anyway, as to the actual design I was thinking that a cultural, rather than militaristic one would be better. Leugi's Cuba is already a domination civ and I'm not going to spoil CL's design, but it has some military aspects to it as one would expect from a Communist civ. I think that making culture the primary focus would allow it to be more different from the other Cubas. I'm still trying to finalize that design.

Es una estoria muy complicada pero a ser lo corto, Español es mi segundo lenguage para approximadamente 13 años, mi tios Cubanos fueron lo que me enseñaron el lenguage Español a lo edad de 3 años, mi pronuncacion i mi etymologia suenan bueno pero todavia tengo problemas con palabras de past tenso, mi mucho de mi relativos son Cubano-Americano (de nascimiento), Americano, o de Nicaragua.

My Great Grandfather from my fathers side was supposedly American and served in the Spanish American War for a brief time, Now after telling you my story in my "good but not great" Spanish I would like to see the Cuba that you designed as a Cultural Cuba sounds like an interesting and unthought of design and I wonder who would lead such a Cuba? Ramon Grau? Carlos Prio?

I have also updated the original post for anyone reading, with icons made by DocktorAppleJuice.

So many Cubans here this is starting to feel like Chile before the Coup'd Etat never expected it. Enough said, your spanish needs... some work, it'd understandable though, and I believe that's what matters the most.

As for the Cuban civ, I agree with UighurCesar in that yet another combat focused Cuba may not be the best idea, partially because there's already 2 Cubas with that focus but more importantly because Cubans weren't all that good when it came to wagin war, I mean, they had loads of revolutions through 19th century, yet they didn't quite manage to become independent.

However, the fight for Freedom I believe could be a nice focus to center on, something like earning extra culture during war or at the end of it would certainly make sense for this civilization. "During Peace Treaties Generate Double Culture" or something like that.

Cuban culture is pretty famous after all, so something tourism related could work too.

Lol. Don't worry Hoop, I eventually plan to do a Chile civ. And yeah it's understandable. My Spanish isn't great either, particularly with tenses. I much prefer to speak as opposed to writing as well.

Anyway, there are a few ideas floating around in my head. One that I particularly like could work for either a UB or the UA. It's "X% of a city's culture gives points toward a random cultural great person each turn." I want it to be primarily about Great People and Great Works since Cuba is known more for it's musicians, writers, baseball players, etc than for our sites like el Malecon or la Plaza de la Revolucion. I also think that this would be good for the UA: "Great Works contribute points towards a free Great Person of your choice." Kind of similar to the Mayans but more reliable since you can make it happen rather than waiting. You wouldn't be able to select the same GP twice until you've picked all of them like the Mayans too. I'm still trying to piece it together for a rough draft.

And for the leader, definitely Jose Marti. Perfect for a culture based Cuba since he's basically our most famous intellectual and independence leader.

Alright, here's a rough draft:

Leader: Jose Marti

UA: Apostles of Independence (placeholder name because I can't think of anything that good. It's one of Marti's titles and it fits the GP focus but there's probably something better): Upon entering the Renaissance, 20% of your cities's :c5culture: Culture is given as points towards a random :c5greatperson: Cultural Great Person every turn. :greatwork: Great Works contribute points towards a free :c5greatperson: Great Person of your choice.

UU: Mambises: Replaces Rifleman or Cavalry (not sure yet). Can build Plantations and build Pastures. When stationed on luxury resources it generates :c5culture: Culture equal to that tile's :c5gold: Gold yield.

UB: Paseo del Prado: Replaces Garden. No freshwater requirement. +1 :c5culture: Culture and provides a random :greatwork: Great Work slot upon completion. :greatwork: Great Works in this city yield +1 :c5happy: Happiness.

It's still a bit all over the place but I like the direction where it's headed. Feedback is very much appreciated.

Hm...

Leader: Jose Marti

UA: Cuba Libre: Generates Twice as much Culture during Peace Treaties if no city was captured. Starting on the Renaissance, 20% of your cities's Culture is given as points towards a random Cultural Great Person every turn.

UU: Mambi: Replaces Cavalry. Is a Melee unit and has a Combat Bonus against Gun units. Costs no Maintenance during war.

UB: Plaza: Replaces Garden. No freshwater requirement. +25% Great Person Generation. Provides a random Great Work slot upon completion which provides +1 Hapiness when filled.

Alright, here's a rough draft:

It's still a bit all over the place but I like the direction where it's headed. Feedback is very much appreciated.

I like your design, Uighur. Though, I dislike UAs focused solely in one thing(GP generation), so I'd go with Hoop's UA. I will do some research myself, because I like going ideas. :D

(Mambi looks great)

I am actually much more in favor Caesars design as the sole GP focus is strong enough to carry most of the Culture through instead of resorting to the much pacifist Throwers, even then "Twice as much of Culture from peace treaties if you have not captured a city" is just to anti-war for me, that's what you get for playing Stalin a lot, intimidation is great :D

The thing I don't like about Hoop's UA is that the first half of the UA looks really situational. I was trying to think of something culture related in the UA but I couldn't think of anything particularly good. The effect I gave the Mambi I had thought of for the UA first but I figured it was too strong as an all game bonus so I gave it to the UU. I was also thinking about giving the Mambi a bonus against Gun units and maintenance during war and leaving the Culture effects only for peace but I thought that meant have been too complicated and I honestly didn't feel like typing at the moment lol. And for the UA name, Cuba Libre was one of the first things I thought of, but for whatever reason I, and quite a few people that I know, don't really take that phrase seriously. You pretty much only hear it when politicians are trying to get Cuban votes or on Bacardi ads. I think maybe "Patria O Muerte, Venceremos" or simply "Patria O Muerte" could be a good fit. It's the official motto of Cuba and it dates back to the independence wars, just like our national anthem, which is really militaristic funny enough. Like this is a verse from it:

"¡Al combate, corred, Bayameses!,
Que la patria os contempla orgullosa;
No temáis una muerte gloriosa,
Que morir por la patria es vivir."

Which basically says "go into combat, your motherland is proud of you, don't fear a glorious death, because dying for your country is living."

The thing I don't like about Hoop's UA is that the first half of the UA looks really situational. I was trying to think of something culture related in the UA but I couldn't think of anything particularly good. The effect I gave the Mambi I had thought of for the UA first but I figured it was too strong as an all game bonus so I gave it to the UU. I was also thinking about giving the Mambi a bonus against Gun units and maintenance during war and leaving the Culture effects only for peace but I thought that meant have been too complicated and I honestly didn't feel like typing at the moment lol. And for the UA name, Cuba Libre was one of the first things I thought of, but for whatever reason I, and quite a few people that I know, don't really take that phrase seriously. You pretty much only hear it when politicians are trying to get Cuban votes or on Bacardi ads. I think maybe "Patria O Muerte, Venceremos" or simply "Patria O Muerte" could be a good fit. It's the official motto of Cuba and it dates back to the independence wars, just like our national anthem, which is really militaristic funny enough. Like this is a verse from it:

"¡Al combate, corred, Bayameses!,
Que la patria os contempla orgullosa;
No temáis una muerte gloriosa,
Que morir por la patria es vivir."

Which basically says "go into combat, your motherland is proud of you, don't fear a glorious death, because dying for your country is living."

How about "Hasta La Victoria Siempre" or "La Independencia Invencible" there have been so many sayings and wordings about our liberation that its almost questionable to just say that "Patria O Muerte" is the only option, we might need to take a look at the big picture.

I refuse to use "Hasta La Victoria Siempra" simply because of it's association with Che. There definitely are a lot of phrases that could work, I just said the first one that I thought of.

Well you were right "Hasta La Victoria Siempre" may not be the best :p.

Yeah, the City Caputure malus is kinda just there to reflect the long, long, long struggle for independence, but truly, I admit there may be better ways to represent that, as it just feels like a penalty for the sake of it.

As for UA's name, what about Dignity of Greatness?

For a UA name I nominate "La Patria Libre" "Batallas de la Paz" or maybe "Revolucion del Fiel" are the things that come to mind when I think Cultural Cuba.

So, from reading, I came up with this UA:

Apostle of Independence
Conquering cities grants :c5culture: culture(doubled from conquered cities*) and increases :c5greatperson: cultural great people generation by 10% until the war ends. Beginning from the renaissance era, courthouses receive a random :greatwork: great work slot that causes them to yield 2 :c5culture: culture and makes them maintenance free.

I think its a very good UA name, actually. Its very unique, and more importantly, its not generic.

Hey, I should ask; which capital are you planning on using for French Indochina? A quick Google search shows me that there were 3 that it switched between. (Important for the map)

Hey, I should ask; which capital are you planning on using for French Indochina? A quick Google search shows me that there were 3 that it switched between. (Important for the map)

Hanoi most likely, you can still take a little bit more time time as I have some other side-projects that I'm tending to right now.

Hey guys what do you happen to think of this map? credit to DocktorAppleJuice for the great art.

Also, I dont know what to think of this design I thought of?

Trapping grounds with no furs? Are you sure about that?

Top Bottom