1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] More Naval AI

Discussion in 'More Naval AI Modmod' started by Tholal, Mar 18, 2010.

1. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I've noticed lately in my modmod that priests no longer seem capable of upgrading to anything, even when I am able to build all their upgrades. I thought this was a bug I introduced myself, but I just used worldbuilder to do a quick test in your mod and it seems to happen there too.

Speaking of upgrades, could you make it so that upgrading a unit that is the avatar of a leader does not leave the player without traits, but instead causes the upgraded unit to be the new avatar? While you are at it, could you do the same for avatars that are converted to other units through xml spells or the python pNewUnit.convert(pOldUnit) call?

2. scutarii

scutarii Chieftain

with revolution mod - as it is now - it is better to raze opponents and build own cities than micromanage constant revolutions.

3. Darkling

Darkling Chieftain

I felt that way after the first game I played with that option on. Revolutions seemed to be happening constantly in the newly conquered areas. In my case, it came down to civic choice. The revolutions and puppet states forced me to think more deeply about which civics I was running and to choose more appropriate ones. I'd always generally wound up using god king (for the hammers and gold bonus) and religion (for the happiness). Once I started using Republic, and either Pacifism or nationhood or liberalism the revolutions began to reduce in number. I very seldom used agrarianism prior but take it as soon as it becomes available now since the default for economy, decentralization increases instability. Courthouses, monuments and dungeons (Tower of Eyes is great here) also help as well.

And if you don't want to keep a city then there's always puppet states. They're not useful initially (I assume they are sometimes), but they increase the size of your empire, even if you don't have direct control over them. Just like puppet cities in CiV, only they produce units as well.

4. Tholal

Tholal Chieftain

Hey all! Apologies for lack of response on my part, but as of last Tuesday, I'm a new father of twin babies! Needless to say, its been pretty hectic.

I still plan on working on this mod, though updates will be less frequent. Hope to get a chance today to respond to the recent posts.

5. Terkhen

Terkhen Chieftain

6. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

7. dot

dot crossing the i's

Congratulations, Tholal.

I'm with you - of sorts. I became a new parent by the end of March this year. To a single baby, though. That being said, I appreciate your checking back on CFC even more.

Thanks. :)

8. jackal1234

jackal1234 Chieftain

Congrats!

9. Bickendan

Bickendan Chieftain

Congratulations!

10. Doug Piranha

Doug Piranha Chieftain

Congratulations, Tholal!

11. doktarr

doktarr Chieftain

Congrats, and welcome to fatherhood (if these are your first).

It's been very gratifying to come to this game 6 years late and discover that it's still being worked on and still getting better. Thank you for all you do for the community.

12. Bannedwagon

Bannedwagon Chieftain

Congratulations and congratulations :)

13. Angrenost

Angrenost Chieftain

Congratulations, and thanks for the modmod!

14. Broken Hawk

Broken Hawk Chieftain

Good news x 2.

15. Broken Hawk

Broken Hawk Chieftain

That's what I do.

16. False Dead

False Dead Chieftain

17. Bickendan

Bickendan Chieftain

I was watching the replay to my Lanun Religion game and saw something quite peculiar, hilarious and probably shouldn't ever happen: The Balseraphs (Perpentach) had been beaten into a vassal state by the Bannor (Capria), and the Balseraphs only had one city left under their control.

They destroyed themselves by culture flipping to the Bannor! From a certain perspective, it makes some sense... but game play mechanic wise, I'm not so sure.

18. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Congratulations Tholal!

I jut checked again, and found that Priests actually can upgrade to High Priests just fine (the last time I tested it I forgot about the prerequisite Incense), but cannot upgrade to Paladins, Druids, or Eidola. I also found that Disciples of the Leaves cannot upgrade to Rangers, and Savants cannot upgrade to Mages. The problem is that the check you added to prevent religious units from upgrading to units of other religions (revision 1007 I believe) also prevents units that have religious prerequisites from upgrading to any unit that does not have any religious prerequisite.

Is there some way to prevent the def onUnitLost(self, argsList): call from being activated when a unit is actually being upgraded rather than destroyed? I recently noticed in my modmod that Adventurers are generating a Sluagh for each upgrade, which allows the Resurrection spell to duplicate Grigori heroes that never actually died. (Oddly, the Sluagh does not seem to be generated when the Adventurer unit upgrades directly, only when an upgraded adventurer upgrades further. I just noticed that the Slaugh code ends early for units with a unitcombat of -1 or civilian. This would prevent unupgraded adventurers from ever being resurrected.)

(Also, in what order are unit upgrades handled? Is the new unit given the info of the old, including its custom name, before or after the old unit is lost? If it is before, I suppose I could deal with the issue by just adding a check to prevent the creation of an Adventurer Sluagh if there is another unit with the adventurer promotion and the same name present in the game already. I might need to increase the number of unique names listed in the xml defines though, or perhaps use the python unique name generator whenever an adventurer is born. Edit: I'm guessing the new unit must be given the info first, as it seems I've managed to fix the issue. I haven't tested enough to see what happens when I run out of unique names though.)

Do we really want all buildings and units to be displayed in the Sevopedia? What is the point of having the bGraphicalOnly tag if it is ignored?

In my last real game I ran into this error:
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "BugEventManager", line 361, in _handleDefaultEvent
      File "Revolution", line 635, in onEndPlayerTurn
      File "Revolution", line 1075, in updatePlayerRevolution
      File "Revolution", line 2118, in checkForBribes
      File "RevUtils", line 1007, in computeBribeCosts
    ZeroDivisionError: integer division or modulo by zero

It should perhaps be noticed that this was just after reducing the stability penalties from civics and increasing the stability bonuses from palaces. Revolutions still seemed too common though.

I also found it quite annoying to repeatedly get revolution events where a city I had conquered from the Calabim asks to be given back to Alexis and says that Alexis may declare war on me if I refuse, when I was already at war with Alexis the entire time.

I don't think that it should be possible to get a revolution a city asked to be made independent under a new leader while it is your only city.

I also tend to think that puppet states should not be so willing to liberate their only cities, as doing so is suicide and makes the event where they ask to give up independence pretty pointless.

The AI (barbarian and otherwise) seems much too willing to raze cities to the ground in my opinion. I recently saw Faeryl Viconia raze her own state religion's holy city (which already had its holy shrine and about 20 population) when she took it from me, even though she could have easily defended it with a stack of units several times larger than my entire army.

In the last game where I summoned Basium I noticed that I was unable to have diplomacy with him until he gained his first city. (I'm pretty sure that was never the case before v2.2.) This meant I was not able to gift him any cities but had to wait a long time to capture one on his own. I disabled Basium's Convert City spell in human owned cities on the grounds that a human would greatly prefer to choose which cities to give him, but this is a problem when I cannot gift him anything.

I really think that we should be able to gift cities to vassals, not only liberate them.

I decided to go ahead and attach (a zip archive containing) an edited version of GameFont.tga that will make your modmod use the obsidian gate icon for which you were hoping. I have not run into any issues with changing the happy face in the second identical row in my version, so I assume you won't have any problems with this either.

19. Terkhen

Terkhen Chieftain

The "Toggle manabar display" text is not using the defined txt. At Assets/python/Screens/CvMainInterface.py:

Code:
    szText = "<font=2>" + localText.getText("[COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT]Toggle Manabar Display[COLOR_REVERT]", ()) + "</font=2>"
    Should be:

Code:
    szText = "<font=2>" + localText.getText("TXT_KEY_MANA_TOGGLE_HELP", ()) + "</font=2>"
    Otherwise, the text will not work with translations.

20. scutarii

scutarii Chieftain

AI -lanun - did not use "tsunami" neither attacking nor defending although conditions were met.Had AI used tsunami correctly, no chance for me.

AI - IMO still overuses mages/adepts. Melee line is used rarely. even ljofo AI rarely uses archers....prefers mages, etc.

AI likes fireballs, haste and summons - atleast that's okay.