[MOD] Origins - Colonization 1 for Colonization 2

Really great mod, I love it... all the good old memories from Col coming back thanks to you :)

I hope you learn Python fast and bring also back interventional forces and the fountain of youth, that would just be awesome. Also the offers from European Kings to deliver Veterans for Cash.

I tried and managed to get both this and the customhouse mod together:

1. Copy the 'CvGameCoreDLL' Folder from Customhousemod (from now on 'CH') into the origins folder.
2. Copy the Python folder and CvGameCore.dll from CH\Assets to Origins\Assets
3. Copy the the folders 'Buildings'*, 'Civilizations' and the 'GlobalDefines.xml' from CH\Assets\XML to Origins\Assets\XML
4. Copy 'Civ4HandicapInfo.xml' from CH\Assets\XML\Gameinfo to Origins\Assets\XML\Gameinfo
5. Copy 'CIV4GameText_Colonization_Strategy.xml' and 'CIV4GameText_Colonization_Pedia.xml' from CH\Assets\XML\Text to Origins\Assets\XML\Text

Thats for the copy part of it... all you have to do now is edit 'CIV4GameText_Colonization_Objects.xml' in Origins\Assets\XML\Text and 'CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml' in Origins\Assets\XML\Art, according to the changes the CH mod did (ie, the custom house entry in these files)

Hope I got it all, worked fine for me :)

* In your Mod, there is a folder named 'Building' in the Origins\Assets\XML\ Folder, containing the CIV4BuildingInfos.xml
Is this a typo, shouldn't it be 'Buildings'? At least in the customhousemod (and the original game files) this xml is in the folder Buildings... I'm no modder so I don't know anything, and it works just fine but still...

Hi, your mod is a nice idea. There are too many aspects of the original that have been lost and could be included while keeping the balance of the game. I haven't played too much yet to see what is really missing and what should be change, although I follow peoples comments in the forum and it appears there is work to do ;)

Anyway, I did a couple of small mods to change the gameplay a bit of Civ4 and was looking forward to to something similar with Colonization. So I can make changes to the C++ files in case you want to make a modification that is not achievable with the XML and Python alone if you need.

I still need to play a bit more to see how to get closer to the original.

Found a couple things that I think are bugs with terrains/bonuses

1)Timber bonus does not add any wood per turn unless the forest it is on is on a grassland or a savannah. If there is a Timber on a Forest on a Plain, Prairie, Tundra, Swamp, or Marsh the wood/turn is the default forest amount (5 I think).

2)Same problem with furs. Furs only add furs per turn on plains. Tundras, grassland etc... don't get the bonus.

3)same type of problem with Deers. Deers only add the 2 food per turn on Tundras and Prairies. All the other terrains stay on the default value of 2 food if there is a forest on it (except for Plain which is 4 by default and stays at 4 if a deer is on it).

I assume this is a bug. Some of these combos are probably not supposed to work, but I am pretty sure some of them should. The furs should work on Tundra's forests, for example.

Hey everyone, got called away for the weekend. IRL issues. Feh.:rolleyes:

I also noted that the Wheat resource (resource of plains) was not present in your mod, Is it intentionnal ?

Eh, no. There should be plenty of wheat in the Great Plains, and one in Bolivia.:confused:

In your Mod, there is a folder named 'Building' in the Origins\Assets\XML\ Folder, containing the CIV4BuildingInfos.xml
Is this a typo, shouldn't it be 'Buildings'? At least in the customhousemod (and the original game files) this xml is in the folder Buildings... I'm no modder so I don't know anything, and it works just fine but still...

Ah ha! You've found the solution to one of my two major bugs, I think. Thank you.

Regarding the Custom House stuff, I'm glad you found a way to put the two together, but I'll need fmiricale's permission before I think about adding it to the mod.

Found a couple things that I think are bugs with terrains/bonuses

1)Timber bonus does not add any wood per turn unless the forest it is on is on a grassland or a savannah. If there is a Timber on a Forest on a Plain, Prairie, Tundra, Swamp, or Marsh the wood/turn is the default forest amount (5 I think).

2)Same problem with furs. Furs only add furs per turn on plains. Tundras, grassland etc... don't get the bonus.

3)same type of problem with Deers. Deers only add the 2 food per turn on Tundras and Prairies. All the other terrains stay on the default value of 2 food if there is a forest on it (except for Plain which is 4 by default and stays at 4 if a deer is on it).

I assume this is a bug. Some of these combos are probably not supposed to work, but I am pretty sure some of them should. The furs should work on Tundra's forests, for example.

It's all deliberate, of sorts. In the original Colonization, these were indeed the only terrains you could get these resources on.

It's like that in my mod because when I finally get the resources randomised (which I'll have done by Wednesday, when I have some free time), it will ensure a distribution similar to the original game's maps. If I can't get results like I want, I'll probably edit it out.

Eh, no. There should be plenty of wheat in the Great Plains, and one in Bolivia.:confused:

Sorry, i think there are no problems in fact. I thought it was corns but maybe it's just a translation problem (I use the french version). Anyway corn or wheat it's not a problem.

Reveilled -

There is still a problem with loading your mod and the unofficial patch (103 or 104 doesn't seem to matter). The global define XML file that you said you added seems to be present. But the patch also has a globaldefines XML file.

So I still get the same error message. Are we supposed to install your mod and then copy the patch OVER it? Or should we go the other way around? Or are there some files that we need to overwrite and some we should not?

If both mods have a GlobalDefinesAlt.xml file then you need to combine the contents of both files into one file.

Awesome mod dude, I'm downloading it now and going to play a game. :band:

Reveilled -

There is still a problem with loading your mod and the unofficial patch (103 or 104 doesn't seem to matter). The global define XML file that you said you added seems to be present. But the patch also has a globaldefines XML file.

So I still get the same error message. Are we supposed to install your mod and then copy the patch OVER it? Or should we go the other way around? Or are there some files that we need to overwrite and some we should not?

I'd like to keep the mod and the patch completely compatible without the requirement to merge for as long as possible.

There's another way to fix the problem without the globaldefines XML, so I'll make that change along with the rest of the update I'm working on.

Played a game and must say I love this mod. I changed the name of BuildingInfos to BuildingsInfos and, as near as I can tell, the building cost seem to be different then the default.

I must say I'm loving the mod overall, and the Prime Timber in peticular. :goodjob:

Just realized something. If the error message says:

Tag: GAMESPEED_NORMAL in Info class was incorrect
Current XML file is :xml\Gameinfo/CIV4ForceControlInfos.xml

Could that be coming from the fact that you renamed the "normal" speed to "classic"?

Patch 1.04 has NORMAL in the global defines. I feel it cannot be so simple but I must ask : can I just go ahead and rename the NORMAL to CLASSIC to fix the problem?

When I overwrite the patch with your mod it is all good. The error only happens when I put your mod first and overwrite it with the patch (which is the way we are supposed to do it I think).

Im an idiot but I cant seem to make them work together .....

A bit more info about what you mean would help troubleshooting I think. Some tips that might help:

1)You cannot load 2 different mods. To have Origins and the Patchmod work together you must combine the files into one folder, making it technically 1 mod. This works fine as long as the 2 mods that you "merge" do not modify the same files in different ways. This is different from the "merging" they are discussing above. They are talking about combining the code of all the files that both mods modified.

2)Install origins normally. You get an Origins folder under your MODS folder. Then unrar the patchmod files on your desktop. You get a PAtchmod folder. Inside that Patchmod folder you have an Assets folder, a DLL file etc... Take those and copy them into the ORIGINS folder. You will be asked if you want to overwrite. Do so.

Be warned that when you do it this way you will get an error message when you go and LOAD the origins mod. I believe the mod will work just fine except at the marathon speed. I don't understand much but I think the error simply is about how some variables were declared in the two mods. Since they are declared with different names, the game does not know how to handle it.

If you just decompress the patchmod folder directly it in the origins folder, it won't do anything. If you put your patchmod folder in your MODS folder, then you get a Patchmod mod.

Awesome Mod ! Is there a mapscript out there for this already ?

I've just terminated to add the new terrains from origins mod in the mapscript FaireWheather by cephalo (FaireWheather.py for Colonization).

It's a first attempt, so it's far from perfect, but at least you should have all the terrains.

Here it is in attachment (copy it in PublicMaps folder)

Attachments

• FaireWeather_origins.rar
    26.1 KB · Views: 143
I'm having a great time playing this mod but I do miss the Portugesse from the AOEII mod. Perhaps if you have time a larger map including North America, Central American and the top part of South America with Natives in their historical locations would be the icing on the cake!

A bit more info about what you mean would help troubleshooting I think. Some tips that might help:

1)You cannot load 2 different mods. To have Origins and the Patchmod work together you must combine the files into one folder, making it technically 1 mod. This works fine as long as the 2 mods that you "merge" do not modify the same files in different ways. This is different from the "merging" they are discussing above. They are talking about combining the code of all the files that both mods modified.

2)Install origins normally. You get an Origins folder under your MODS folder. Then unrar the patchmod files on your desktop. You get a PAtchmod folder. Inside that Patchmod folder you have an Assets folder, a DLL file etc... Take those and copy them into the ORIGINS folder. You will be asked if you want to overwrite. Do so.

Sorry, but what is "unrar"?

unrar as oppossed to unzip. In other words extracting files from a program that has an .rar extention because that was the program used to compress it. Many people use rar because you get better compression rates.

Top Bottom