[MOD] Planet Roanoke, a/k/a all SMAC'ed up

Padmewan said:
@ woodelf, let me send you some concept pictures for Lattice. My basic starting-point for them is with stalagmites, but stalagmites where energy plays the same role as water. I guess there are different ways then to think about this -- like maybe frozen lightening? What I'd sketched earlier was more like literal stalagmites.

@Gerikes -- thanks for coming by! Your mod is so hugely ambitious I can only stand back and admire :)

Re: Sea colonies, I don't know that we've conceptually figured out what the fibersea really is, yet. In my mind, the "ocean" is ripped-up crust that exposes the "wires" of the planet underneath the surface. So it's not actually liquid or "sea" -- instead, it's a dangerously high-energy field. A colony that formed there would probably be either like a data center (a section of "wire" that is controlled by a faction) or a physical presence that somehow survives on or in the wires.

One victory condition I've kicked around is the idea of controlling the planet. Maybe we can meld that with your idea of the sea-colony; establishing "bases" right in the "brain" of the planet would give you a shot at then "mind-controlling" the planet...

Please, if you have more ideas, keep them coming! I'll kick around more what super-colonies might mean in this game. (One idea I had earlier was the idea of a mobile city).

Very cool idea abou the sea being exposed wiring. So, how will sea units work, if there will be any? Well, I'm sure you have some description for that. Perhaps they use the magentic fields of the exposed wire to stay afloat or something :p

And about mind-controlling the planet, if you could theoretically "control" the planet, then could you not control what terrains / etc there are? You could enter into a whole new gaming system where one you gain "control" fo the planet, perhaps you lose control over your cities / units / etc (your "mind meld" takes so much energy you have none left over to control those). The rest of your city goes into chaos (controlled by AI) and to win the game you must destroy everyone else off the planet using the abilities that you've gained now that you've mind-melded (spawning planet units, destroying improvements from tiles, causing destructive storms, etc).

Meanwhile, once one player has attained a mind-meld, the other players now have to decide whether to join forces to defeat the player (I'm not sure exactly how, since the mind-melded player doesn't have cities or units), or to create a super-weapon that will destroy the planet, as well as everything that resides on it, ending the game as a loss for everyone. Obviously, the apocalyptic ending will mean a loss for every player, while the band-together ending will either be a loss for the mind-melder and a win for the rest, or a loss for the mind-melder and the rest continue playing.

As for the moving cities, it's something that I will eventually be doing with Civcraft, so I'll probably have something fun to work with by the time Planet Roanoke is in it's later stages.

Gerikes said:
Very cool idea abou the sea being exposed wiring. So, how will sea units work, if there will be any? Well, I'm sure you have some description for that. Perhaps they use the magentic fields of the exposed wire to stay afloat or something :p

Don't be so literal! :D Units can be "software" code that run around on the "Net"... bases can be data farms rather than physical presences. We can use the ocean as an alternative realm, really, a non-physical "reality" on the planet.

I haven't thought this through fully, but it's the general sense I'm running on right now.

Gerikes said:
And about mind-controlling the planet, if you could theoretically "control" the planet, then could you not control what terrains / etc there are? You could enter into a whole new gaming system where one you gain "control" fo the planet, perhaps you lose control over your cities / units / etc (your "mind meld" takes so much energy you have none left over to control those). The rest of your city goes into chaos (controlled by AI) and to win the game you must destroy everyone else off the planet using the abilities that you've gained now that you've mind-melded (spawning planet units, destroying improvements from tiles, causing destructive storms, etc).

Interesting ideas... I hadn't really taken it down the path of a violent showdown myself, but it's possible. Actually, I was thinking of going the opposite direction: some kind of galactic calamity is about to befall the planet, and the only way to save yourself (and everyone else) is to cooperate with this supermind to, e.g., erect a shield against an impending neighboring cyclical supernova.

I did have other All vs. All scenarios in mind, namely something involving Earth trying to reassert power over the planet, but you bring up an interesting option as well. I wonder how many different victory conditions we can enable and how each can work?

Even without the mind-meld I'm curious if we can do what you suggest, but with the Planet itself waging the war without the intervention of the humans... good ideas to chew on, Gerikes...

awesome. i've been looking for something like this, i'll be downloading for sure.

Looking forward to your feedback, Zenemij -- I should warn you that we've significantly changed the mod since the original description, including pruning back to only Era 1, which we should be wrapping up shortly so we can move to Era 2.

Welcome back Jenks! How was London? :)

jenks said:
:) thx was kewl ...

sadly the missus has tailed along for the trip home so still won't be hardcore Roanok-ing ... for a little bit anyway :p hehe

What, is our entire team married??

@erik - Did you skin any of those resources?

@jenks - Are those resources what you wanted?

@Padmewan - If you send me any concept art, send it home. No work for me next week. :D

yeah the 'circle' graphic was pretty much exact to the picture :) all looked very kewl !
also liking the work on the space units in ur sig ... sure we'll find a way of getting those in Roanoke ! :p

@Pad - nah not married, just sorely under the thumb :p

Here's a screenie of a Colony Pod I just finished. I skinned it almost completely white, but it doesn't appear white in game. :confused: I'm not sure how important that is to you guys though.

I'll through the files in a thread in the units section.

It also looks like he needs to be bumped up in size from the crawler that was being used. To test it out I didn't edit that number.

tdb said:
Looks great. Maybe the non-whiteness is due to lighting?

Crap. I haven't messed with any lighting in 3ds max yet. I'll feel really foolish if that's the case. :blush:

Well, if you don't have any lighting in 3ds max, but the game has lighting (I suppose it has), that would explain the different look.

jenks said:
white or off white it looks good to me pal,
ur almost prolific in unit design now :p

:) Thanks.

I'm waiting for Pad to send me some pics of the terraformer and supply crawler to work on next. Any other SMAC related units you guys have on a wishlist?

Here's a quick something I whipped up for use as a Pulse Dampener. Let me know what you guys think.

This time an improvement. It's supposed to be a Lattice Sea Harness, but the below the surface of the "sea" part isn't showing. It's really there! The rest involves three wind turbines and 6 solar panels.

Nevermind the one that got dropped on land. :p

Top Bottom