1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Religion and Revolution

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by raystuttgart, Aug 26, 2012.

1. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

Release 2.0 is available now. :)

For list of changes see here.
    For download see here.

----

Savegames of old releases will not be comptabile.

2. fox456

fox456 Chieftain

This is a nice surprise! Thank you.

3. raystuttgart

Release 2.1 is now finally available for Download. :)

All further information (e.g. changelog) here.

4. Lajbi

Lajbi Chieftain

What does Schmiddies_Edition_V2.1.7z exactly do? Is it needed to complete the patch?

5. Schmiddie

Schmiddie Chieftain

No, it is not a "patch" it is a mod-mod. Please read the description: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=505323

The one and only reason why I created this mod-mod is to remove the Train and railstation from the mod and replace it with carriage and waystation.

6. Lajbi

Lajbi Chieftain

Thank you

7. Lajbi

Lajbi Chieftain

What bothers me the most it's the simplicity of the land warfare in Col in general and the mods don't seem to fix it either. It relies so heavly on the cannons, that it leaves a loophole that a unit can be defeated three times easily within a city than outside of it. I could crush in any of my games the whole competition on the continent with just five trained units. All you need is one or more "against settlement" promotions and you can wipe out a whole army who's just waiting there "fortified". By fortified I mean it takes like two turns to get the city defense to zero with the cannons. Attach a cuirassier and an indian mercenary to them and the enemy won't even try a breakout attempt not even on the highest difficulty level. And when they attack you it's the same. Just let them occupy one of your minor cities, they'll stop there and you eliminate them with a counter-attack "against a settlement".

The other thing is that a player can outmanoever the trade system as well. Just buy something that is cheaper to buy in Europe and sell it in Africa in a higher price (e.g. trade goods has usually a +2 gap, so a stock of 100 will give you +200 extra) and vice versa. You can even have a galleon, which only sails between the two and you don't need to produce anything in the new world and cash will flow. It works well in the early stages when taxes are low but also when the financial advantage will give a huge boost compared to your opponents (more ships, more cannons).

8. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

Unfortunately, you are completely right. :(
    The combat system is completely out of whack and the economic system (although to a lesser degree), too.

The problem is that you have to change so many routines in the DLL to heal the combat system. It is not only the combat values, it is pathfinding, combat calculation and finally, the AI.

9. Lajbi

Lajbi Chieftain

Maybe reduce the value of the promotions and the settlement bombard advantage that cannons have? I'm just guessing here.

The economic system is glitchy from the start. I guess fixing the startup prices to not have these gaps will do. Still the economy would remain easy as the domestic demand in the later games yields much more than it should be. E.g. in one of my games I had six-figure sum of money constantly while the others had around a thousand.
    And it's also funny that an opponent when it asks for a ransom to not attack you it's always a couple of hundred cash, which is illogically low.

10. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

Unfortunately not.
    The combat system and its internal logics are kind of weak, if you're asking me.

Unfortunately, I am comparatively weak in programming skills, otherwise I would have changed it already (it's on my agenda, though).

The economic system can at least be improved just by maintaining the respective XML values. :)
    I am currently working on the internal logics here to make it more reasonable, but this will take some time as the interdependencies are just countless.

11. raystuttgart

Release 2.3 is now available. :)
    (see here)

12. FlashXAron

FlashXAron Chieftain

Hi there and thank you for your hard and great mod, it is a lot better as the original and WELL DONE !

Maybe as I see this mod is still beeing taken care od you, I dare to give some Feedback after around 90 hours playing with Version 2.3 and going to the end !

1.) Most annoying is the STORAGE CAP .. think it is because that it is possible to build cities with 2 hex radius ... most of the time I was battling where to put that wares ... THAT IS REALLY BORING ...
    my Solution to it was that I changed every storage to DOUBLE VALUE !
    Now it is acceptable , as you could still not fill everything into the city but when you built the last upgrade it is NOW possible to fill the storage in the city with some small amount of reserve items !
    PLEASE CHANGE THAT in your MOD

2.) TOO FAST GROWING , maybe also because of the 2 hex cities ... should be reduced to 50% ... so double of food should be needed for a new colonist
    ... it is very annoying in the late stage of the game, when every turn 2-3 colonists pop up somewhere ! More isn't better in any game

3.) STACK MAX for HUMAN PLAYERS , if possible as the AI has one with 32 , I have seen in the files ... that for the human should be 16

4.) POLITIC POINTS ... too few , AI and humans only have 2-3 colonial fathers, even close to the end ... some buildings should generate automatic points !

Think that is what could be easy changed to release the FINAL Version :)

So we could wait for CIV VI as BE was BS :) and the TW Series is still terrible, even it has fantastic graphics and sound !

THANK YOU TO ALL
    GREAT WORK

13. raystuttgart

Release 2.4 is available for download.
    (for change log see here)

Thanks again to everybody who participated or supported in the creation of this release. :)

Spoiler :

Release 2.4 may be considered our final release.
    Thus the base mod project RaR has now ended.

We do wish all players a lot of fun with the mod.
    And of course we hope that other modders might use RaR as a base for a new big modding project.

14. JanusTalaiini

JanusTalaiini Chieftain

Just a note - the download link in in the original post is listed as "release 2.2" which is a bit confusing since the most up to date version appears to be 2.4. The link still takes you to 2.4, but it might be worthwhile to make the label accurate.

15. raystuttgart

Thanks for mentioning. :)
    (It's corrected now.)

16. JanusTalaiini

JanusTalaiini Chieftain

I may be totally missing something, but I don't seem to be able to produce cattle. I have a tile next to my city with the cattle bonus; I cleared the forest, but producing cattle is still not one of the options. The only choices it gives me are food, barley, hemp, tobacco, and horses. Is there a prerequisite I'm not seeing?

17. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

I believe you need a rancher, and then a building inside your city (corral, ranch?) to go with it. Been awhile since I've played.

18. raystuttgart

With cattle, sheep and horses we have programmed a new features:
    Livestock Breeding

1. They are breed on plots.
    2. You first need to bring some of them to a city to be able to breed them there.

Breeding output also depends on amount already stored.
    (Ideal amount is 100 on GameSpeed Normal, 300 on Marathon. More does not increase breeding output.)

By the way:
    Things like that are explained in Colopedia. :)

19. JanusTalaiini

JanusTalaiini Chieftain

Oho! I hadn't read that, that's a clever way of doing it. Thanks, I'll have to give that a try!

20. Naive Gamer

Naive Gamer Chieftain

Hi, I'm new here. I have read so many good things about the RaR mod that I would love to be able to play it. I have downloaded ver 2.4 and extracted it to its own folder under Mods as set out in the Readme.

When I try to run it (either from vanilla Col menu or from TAC ... first I get my Desktop back for about 60 seconds, then a 'Colonization has stopped working' message with the following details.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Colonization.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.0.1
    Application Timestamp: 49a88196
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.19346
    Fault Module Timestamp: 55024174
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00066439
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 35e3
    Additional Information 2: 37f4ec5d58068873a21f2805e6aa528f
    Additional Information 3: 4f85
    Additional Information 4: 20abe835967c4126a1ea4eef143cab78

Since both Vanilla Civ4Col and the TAC mod run fine on my ancient setup I am assuming there is something in RaR ver 2.4 that is corrupted or is incompatible with the installation. As far as I can see from the forums, no one else is having this kind of problem. If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful, otherwise it is back to TAC for me.

If it is of any interest I've played various versions of Colonization from the earliest incarnation (on the Amiga !) through Freecol, and Sid Meiers second version. I've enjoyed all of them in their time so Its great to see that this wonderful game concept is still moving forward. So I am very grateful for all the effort and imagination that all you Modders have given over the years.

Naive Gamer