[MOD] The Authentic Colonization (TAC)

Just enjoying this mod first game myself, Amrod.

#1 Yeah Silver resource is not very useful. But honestly if it was very useful I'd just dedicate the early game to silver mining... boring.
#2 I don't use those hotkeys. I believe it's an oversight in the original game. Maybe a file you can edit...
#3 Transactions ledger is a tab at left edge of screen. It'll remember if you leave it expanded.

---

Mighty thanks to the TAC team!

At first the trade routes system appeared complicated. But I just did what seemed intuitive to me, and it worked! Then I discovered there are actually multiple ways to set them up. Well that's a remarkably fine interface: that, whatever works for the user personally, works.

I have a question about distribution though. Say I want a Wagon Train to equally distribute Lumber between A, B, and C; which are all in a line. I can set it in series: A->B, B->C, C->B, B->A. In this case I think the Wagon Train doesn't consider C when it's on the A leg...? Alternately I can set it in parallel: A->B, A->C, B->A, B->C, C->A, C->B. But in this case I think the Wagon Train does a lot of wasted movement..? I'm trying to understand how Wagon Trains decide their next move on long chains. Sometimes they seem stuck at one side of the chain.

haha don't know if anyone is still looking at thread.

first wanted to say thanks to those who put this mod together. you took a game that was just a shell and turned it into something really worth playing. awesome job.

second, was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the game minimising during play. not a big deal, once in an hour or so the screen will minimise and i need to wait a few seconds before i can expand it again and continue playing. otherwise it just minimises again. i'm guessing it's something on my pc but have no idea what. any clues?

Ah great, thanks a lot!! The fix works and my game continues! I can read a bit of German but wont embarrass myself by trying to write it. ;) Please thank Ramkhamhaengs for me!!!

I actually noticed in the source of RaR that the same bug exists there...

: [URL='http://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?56991-TAC-Bugdokumentation-amp-Allgemeines-Brainstorming&p=5924746&viewfull=1#post5924746' said:

Should we be using that CORE found in the above website replacing the core currently TAC 203 found on the first message of this thread?

The date of the fixed CORE from the link is 24 Feb, 2014 (3940kb)
the date of the TACOPs final 203 is 3 August, 2012 (3944kb)

Last edited:
Quick questions guys, if anyone is still around on this forum...

Can converted natives learn by doing? Or only free colonists?

Where can I customize my personal game files to allow converted natives to LbD?

I have always been confused on what constitutes a river tile so you can build a Great Tool Factory. I've always played it safe and settled on either side of a river. But are the three tiles at the end of a river also considered adjacent?

Quick questions guys, if anyone is still around on this forum...

Can converted natives learn by doing? Or only free colonists?

Yes, they learn by doing but they take much longer than free colonists even on things like tobacco and fur.

Having trouble installing it. The desktop icon says that the file it's supposed to link to isn't found, and I can't seem to find where on my hard drive it installed to to try and fix it myself.

Having trouble installing it. The desktop icon says that the file it's supposed to link to isn't found, and I can't seem to find where on my hard drive it installed to to try and fix it myself.

The normal game of Colonization starts fine and only starting the game with the TAC icon does not work?

Then try starting a normal game of Colonization, go "advanced" in the menu and try to "load a mod" and select TAC there to see if the mod is installed in the correct folder. Both ways to start a mod should work.

The files for TAC should be located in the mods folder of Colonization.
Mine for example is located
E:\User1\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS\TAC 2.03_final
The name of the harddisk and user obviously will be different for anyone else.

Since the RaR mod forum is closed I will ask it here. There's a way to remove the city radius expansion feature? It initally looks cool but I think it's a OP feature.

Since the RaR mod forum is closed I will ask it here. There's a way to remove the city radius expansion feature? It initally looks cool but I think it's a OP feature.
What happened to RaR is actually that one person retired and decided to retire the mod and the name of the mod as well. Rather than fighting this decision, we decided to start a new mod called We the People. This means it's a new name and (mostly) new people, but essentially it's still the same mod and it's even savegame compatible.

When installing WTP you have to manually pick a DLL file, which you add to the assets folder. They are the same except for the colony catchment radius. One is 1 plot and the other is 2 plot reach. I think you are asking for the 1 plot radius DLL file.

Yes we do know that moving a DLL file manually is not ideal and we plan to make it a map option, meaning no DLL movement and the player is asked each time a new game is started. However that will take a while to code and in the meantime we have something I wrote within a few hours.

Nice, I'll install your mod them. It's nice to know that there's a modding team that still active, I came from Freecol after getting tired of the stupid AI and I thought that everyone already got tired of modding stuff.

hi, can you tell me which jobs are LbD ( learn by doing) ?
Also, when a ship returnsnew world from Europe, how can I change its arrival location to somewhere away from my towns? I have settled north and I want my privateers in south to disturb southern colonies, but most of their time is spent traveling from north to south.
(in vanilla I think it arrives where it left, and in this mod if you don't specify town it arrives in your initial or near first town?)

Is that a feature in We the People? Because I know of no such job in TAC. I also can't believe there are still mod projects going on. TAC is pretty awesome to being with, I can't wait to try that one.

To answer the question above, I've noticed that, whenever you don't specify a destination settlement, the ship will return to your starting location (where your initial caravel first spawns at turn zero).

Is that a feature in We the People? Because I know of no such job in TAC.
There seems to be some confusion because the quote wasn't accurate.

All jobs other than Slaves and Converted Natives should be LbD.
There are two concepts in Colonization: units and professions, but there are no "jobs". What LbD does is that a profession can convert a unit to another unit if said unit has worked in that profession for enough turns. Changing profession resets the counter (known issue).

LbD only apply to some units. You can't overwrite an expert with another expert. Once a unit becomes expert in something, you need to use clear specialty for it to be able to use LbD. Being able to lose types of experts this way would be bad. While it can be modded in xml, the settings are currently:
Free Colonist and Converted Natives can become experts.
Indentured Servants and Petty Criminals can become free colonists.
Slaves are stuck being slaves as they can't use LbD or the education system.

Slaves are stuck being slaves as they can't use LbD or the education system.

You must have spent too long playing the new mods, because no such concept, whether unit or job, exists in TAC. You can choose whether slavery is allowed when declaring independence, but I believe that effect is unchanged from vanilla. It offers either a bonus to raw goods production or free population per settlement.

However, this misunderstanding was a great plug for getting me interested in your mod. I'm scrolling the features list right now and definitely going to try it.

I'm hoping someone still reads this thread. I like this mod a lot, but when I try to play it, at least on more temperate maps, the injuns invariably declare war on me and knock me out of being able to win. WordBuilder has an option to change tribes' attitude toward you and force peace, but it doesn't seem to last more than two or three turns. Startup options include "always peace", but this seems to apply only to your European competitors. Do I have to develop a military force early and make war with the tribes, to stay till the endgame? Or what?

Trading right off the bat is key with Natives. Especially those tribes which are in close proximity to you. Use trade goods and blankets from Europe, gift a few to close tribes, then diplo to improve relations. Keeping an eye on their respective requests for goods is also helpful ( although, I personally won't trade weps to them)

Top Bottom