1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[mod] TOTAL REALISM 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Houman, Jun 6, 2006.

1. shlomitan

shlomitan Chieftain

is there somewhere a tutorial of how to play with the new stuff in "Total Realism" and with all the new units??!!??!!??!!??!!
    how about adding more civs?

2. Mexico

Mexico TR senior programmer

not yet, we are preparing this for new TR for Warlords (expected at X-mas)

3. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Yeah thats true. :) We have actually released in time, but it wasn't the Gold version but Beta 3. We plan to release Beta 4 on 25/26th Nov 2006. Gold is planned for Dec 9/10th. Anyway even if we are a week or 2 late, we will still have it 1000% for Christmans.

The Situation right is that we have killed many little annoying bugs that would be an immense improvement. We have also managed to tune many of the existing features, in other words to "cook" them more throughly. In many of them we have reached the perfect balance.

Right now we are working on one more last feature that would make the beggining of the game more interesting (some said there was a lack of buildings? you get a new one)

Its looking really good.

regarding a manual;

Yes a complete manual of all features is in work and will be published as a website (looks quite cool actually)

regarding new Civs:

simple answer and I won't lie to you. This is not going happen. I don't understand the whole excitement about new civs. There is plain no room on the map anymore (We had even to put the Celts in Ireland!!) and if we would get the 256*256 maps all of you under 2 gig Ram won't be able to play the game at all. A new civ means loads of work and takes time. It requires unique units, unique Great people (Scientist, merchants, Enginner, Artists) and unique generals (do you have the slightest idea how much time it took us to make GPs for each single civ?) Too much work for not much outcome.

Because at the end this new civ would take room away that could be used for other civs to expand. So you have less powerful neighbors therefore less challenging game. I rather use this time to enhance existing features and put in more exciting features such as adding more ethnical diverse units, diverse buildings and ideas.

Regards
    Houman

4. jamesluck

jamesluck Chieftain

wtf?
    this mod looks really nice!

but put this "indo-aryan" term from indian settlers away. most important race of india is/was dravidian race (harappa, mohenjodaro <- biggest civilization in ancient world) .. biggest hindu-empire ever was the Chola Empire (non-aryan). The one and only CLASSICAL indian language accepted by the indian government is "Tamil".

so please change the term "indo-aryan" settlers to "indian" settlers. this is less ideological and more realistic...

thanks for reading this. jamesluck

5. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Thanks for your comments James. With all respect the Hindus didn't exit when the Aryans came. There were other inhabitants in India, but I wouldn't call them Hindus. Rig Veda is written about 1700 BC not by the Hindus but by the known as Vedic Aryans, a subgroup of the Indo-Aryans. Hindus evolved from Vedas into Hinduism. The whole Caste System is coming from the Aryans.

The another subgroup of Aryans migrated into Iran and Persia was the outcome. Before their migration, it were the Elamites and Assyrian who rules and inhabited Iran. The early languages were very close to each other and evolved through the centries differently.

In West Aryans have a bad meaning because of Hitler's abuse of the term. But scientifically you cannot deny the existence of this most ancient culture that not only migrated but also changed enormously the environment in Middle East and South West Asia.

Regards
    Houman

6. Vitez

Vitez Chieftain

Is there a chance Ramessess will be available to choose for Egyptians in beta4 scenario/custom scenario?
    I had to cope with Hatshe for so many games and Ramessess is much more interesting for conquering Africa and then the rest :> (my general strategy bases on production/science and wonders, but my skill level is exactly the one I have on this forum - chieftain as I play for fun, exploring various paths of history, not for competition).

One more question - how about some option like Giant Earth map? Played it (untill my savegame crashed and lost the invention) and liked it a lot - lots of room, lot of civs... only demands lot s of RAM which I fortunately possess (2gb Kingston hyperx pc400) :> .

7. jamesluck

jamesluck Chieftain

Dear mr. Houman,

As i told you, the only language which has classical status in india is Tamil, not Sanskrit. The Vedas actually were not written 1500 BC or so.
    Actually there were written just 500 AD(!) . Yes, that's fact :goodjob: Therefore the written Sanskrit texts are not ancient, and the stories themselves were evolved in india and not somewhere else. for instance: The Hitler's swastika symbol is not of aryan origin. This symbol was discovered at the archealogical harappa site (non-aryan).
    Those 1500 BC numbers are just interpretions of scholars about the age of the written stories in 500 AD. Please note, that the ancient Tamil literature also contains stories from 12000 BC and earlier like the story of "Kumari Kandam", which some scholars interpret as the story of Atlantis.

Sanskrit itself is not just an indo-aryan language. 30 % of this language was highly influenced by Dravidian and Munda languages.
    Even the female inventor of Sanskrit "paanini" was non-aryan (dravidian).

Indian culture has a extremley vast culture. But please take a look at this paper:
    http://tamil.berkeley.edu/Tamil Chair/TamilClassicalLanguage/TamilClassicalLgeLtr.html

maybe this will change your "only-indo-aryan-culture" views. just put those strings to "indian" :)

Yours, jamesluck

8. Melchizel

Melchizel Chieftain

Quick question.... will this mod work on after the new warlords patch is installed?

Thanks in advance for answering!!

9. Hian the Frog

Hian the Frog TR Designer and XML

Hello man,

Yeap ! We had upgraded it to 2.08
    So, you can play.
    Enjoy.

Hian the Frog.

10. Melchizel

Melchizel Chieftain

Thanks for the quick reply!

11. Flasch186

Flasch186 Chieftain

Pardon me, im a bit confused. I thought that this was not Warlords compatible at all, yet....am I wrong? I certainly hope so.

12. Spartan117

Spartan117 Immortal

Yes, there has been three beta versions released from at least 2 months ago.;)

Just in case you havent noticed though. The discussion has moved here http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202

where it is still very much active

enjoy.

13. Anaztazioch

Anaztazioch Hit in the head too much

For those that can find difficulties in finding downloads for beta3

click on a link in my sig.

If you still have problems, wait for X-mas ;)

14. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Beta 4 will be out hopefully next weekend (Sunday).

Loads of new things are coming again (Gosh we should stop doing that!) Every Nation gets a new unique building (!), some new units, 2 new wonders. More balancing, a bit more finetuning in promotions.

Improved SDK AI (even better than Worlords Beta 3), a new religion feature, and all reported bugs have been fixed + improved world map.

15. Vitez

Vitez Chieftain

And hopefully - Ramessess for Egyptians :rolleyes:

16. thh

thh Chieftain

guys, i'm impressed :worship:

17. Oettinger77

Oettinger77 Chieftain

how do i stop an assassin?
    i already have one on my city and can see the enemys one - but i cant attack :/

Regards

18. LeandroVillela

LeandroVillela Chieftain

Total Realism is the best Mod ever created for Civ 4. It Creates an entire new game concept, It uses the great potencial of the game.

I made some modifications on Total Realism Mod Patch II for personal use. But I think it worked so well, I want to make some contribuitions for this great project. ( I have the files, but I don't know who contact or were send it )

Some Mods:
    Woodmill is more eficient after the invention of Electicity. ( Eletrical Circular Saw )
    Mines produces more after the combustion ( Industrial Revolution )
    Towns produces more after the industrialism ( It's not quit realistic a mine produces many "hammers" and the towns don't produce any in our ages )
    Gold resource produces more Gold ( A mine of Gold was the most important resource at the medieval and modern ages, but in the game it's not quite important )
    I did the same with silver mines, but at a minor rate

New constructions:
    Arena ( military experience and Happy Faces - I would be possible just to modify the Coloseum )
    Wodden Wall, just a bit eficiency, but you can build it without stone
    Stone Wall, replaces "wall", mode eficiency, but it's imperative you have stone
    Agora - Like que greeck ones, it improves the great people generation by 30% and reduce mantain costs
    Arsenal - It increases a bit the production of military units
    and some other

If you are interest in this modifications, please contatc me at leandrovillela@terra.com.br

19. Anaztazioch

Ok so you made Fantasy mod...

But maiing gold give more coin it will make game unballanced, as its not the resource that gives bonus, but having a mine on that resource. More army, more mercenaries, faster resarch + combustion in 560bc...

Besides, spices and "not european" resources such as silk were far much more expansive than gold. Untill trade routes grow larger and more safer.

Towns allready produce extra hammer with Universal Sufrage.
    Woodmill, i heared watermill, windmill, slavemill, but WOODMILL ?
    Mines produce more after industrialism... Well since Wealth and Resarch turns 100% hammers into gold/resarch It will once again hasten the resarch (Combustion in 800bc).

As for new buildings.
    Arena, we are actually making an arena/stadiium and changing Coliseum to a wonder (dont know if it has been allready aproved/in progress, but also didnt saw any "declined" idea)

Wooden Wall - like there is no stone... Stone resource it means its high quality stone/lots of stone, so dont see any good thing about its. Also unballancing... civs with no stone wall are "doomed".
    Japan for instance. They dont have any bigger quarries, but their walls/castles are made very solidly of stone.
    This also puts off Sone Wall
    Besides what if you build a wood wall and than get access tos tone ? Wasted production.

Agore, Greeks allready have philosophical trait. You may heared about greek great people, thats why you add it, but have ytou heared about Chinese great people ?

Arsenal - So hurrying production will become pointless, and AI will have more units therefore lower performance etc. etc.
    like 5% ? Pointless. There is military academy that gives 50% and its not unballancing unless you cheat it to put one in every city of your own.

This is not a mod made to "Spam it all", but to make game as close to its name as possible not draining the gameplay from it.

20. Anaztazioch

In Beta 3 assassins are like 8195197963745 times weaker than before. Now all you need is 3 defanders to make assassin almost impossible to "work". Besides you cant attack them when not at war.