1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[mod] TOTAL REALISM 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Houman, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Do you mean 3 Assassins as defenders or any defenders?

2. Anaztazioch

Anaztazioch Hit in the head too much

Defenders in meaning of fighting units, assassin is "special".
    I can successfully use assassins on cities with 2 defenders (fighting units, not workers or assassins or informants etc.) with a high chance (19 out of 21 assassing succeded)
    But when there are 3 defenders (fighting units) 1 out of 16 tried were successfull

3. Harrier

Harrier Deity

Why are you being so insulting to a first time poster. If you have had a bad day at work/school or home - keep it to yourself. Thumbs down to you.

The poster at least presented ideas and did not critisize the mod.

In my eyes his post was very reasonable overall (I am not saying that I agree with his comments - though I may - but I am now afraid to say so, incase I am also attacked.) - the fact that you personally did not like his suggestions gives you no right to insult him.

I just hope that Houman ignores your comments and reads his post in an unbiased manner.

4. Oettinger77

Oettinger77 Chieftain

hm tell this the french dude who causes unrest every ~10 rounds in my capital - and there are 8 units and 1 assassin :/

but i must admit that he stopped spaming me with assassins a few rounds ago - dont know why

i am not really complaining - because when i am "strong" i do this too ;)

Regards

5. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Hello LeandroVillela,

Thank you so much. :)

I like the idea with Woodmill and Mines. However we have to be very careful, since more production means player can build everything faster the game ends sooner. It could affect the game if we dont balance out the techs again.

Regarding towns, well, how do we specify a town? Usually towns are suburbans. A place for people who can afford to buy a house to live peacefully outside the chaotic town. There is a flow of money and also food (agriculture) but usually no industry. Thats why I think it is ok the way it is. And in Game Town improvements are in first place meant to be for making money. Minces are primarily for production.

I agree on Gold and silver resources. They are a bit underrated in game. We could fix that. How much did you increase them?

Have a good day,
    Houman

6. Anaztazioch

I did not have a bad day or anything, why do you think of it anyway ? To make me "avoid" such "easy" and "cheap" excuse ?

1) I just played a lot of mod withc had so many addons like richer goldmines, stronger civics improvements that makes no sense etc. etc. etc. It really made the mod into something that is of no fun for me at all and i want to avoid such components in this mod.
    Another thing is that in WTR beta3 Feudalism is resarched about 500bc! So it has too fast resarch allready, thats why i pointer combustion in 560bc.
    I really this that they may lead to inballancing.

2) I didn not insult the poster, but his idea. I haventinsuled HIM, but what he DID with the mod. And i also said as well WHY I declined his ideas. If i were to insult him, i would not describe why i dont like it.
    Maybe asking about Chinese GP You took as an insult. But i didnt know That Persians had "any" GP.

3) Houman is a kind of person that reads all the forums each day, rarelly reflects to "friends" or "veterans" of TR forums (all my post was posted in TR field). I mean he responds, but even if All TR team members will "thumb down" someones idea, he will look at it,a nd even reply towards it.

4) I am not a "soft" person in English language and often sounds rought and mean, mostly it comes from misunderstanding.

Instead for directly (instantly) declining LeandroVillela's ideas, I should have told him that this "might" lead to unbalancing/faster game end etc. As Houman did.

5) This is a forum after all, as long as we dont go offtopic (like i do here) and in the eyes of moderators we do not insult or break rules, it is OK.

@ LeandroVillela

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202
    Forum page designed to improve this mod. Many ideas posted here, some that brought up to you (arena and colliseum) and some that havent been even tought of.
    Many people did "miss" this one so a (before)X-Mas reminder ;)

@ Oettinger77

8 units and 1 assassin. Do you have Beta3 ? I belive that this was still in beta2, so im a bit confused (am i out of luck that my assassins dont work ?)

7. Vertico

Vertico Prince

One question regarding civs.
    Why there is American civ in TR?
    Country is not the same as civilization.
    Maybe to replace them with Sioux?

8. Anaztazioch

Teturkhan was "brave" enough to eraze America and replace them with existing Iroquis (on worldmap).

I put that idea several times, but well, America has big influence in world so thats why t is still there.

9. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Inside team we are having some plans to actually do something we said we would never do. ;)

We would add at least the Iroques as another civ to North America. There is just enough space left.

Another idea would be creating a second worldmap for those real Realism players and replace America with Sioux.
    This plan is not for the gold version. When I just think about the amount of work that needs to be done for adding another civ, I start to faint. Right now we are 3 in the team and everyone is pretty busy and if there was time there is still so much stuff to improve. We would need in this case someone professional from outside who likes to join the team and knows exactly how this is done.

10. Raider62

Raider62 Warlord

Does this mod work on multiplayer Lan?

11. Kaiser Franz

Kaiser Franz ViSa Team & War Monger

This is truely a fantastic mod -- it has all the best features - great buttons - great civ specific units - thanks for all the hard work you have done in developing this mod, the map, the units -- all of it !!!

One quick question - might have been answered elsewhere and I overlooked it -- the far right button - with the hand -- what does it do ?? -- oh - one more -- I keep getting messages that the AI has employed a mercenary - how is that done??

Once again -- thanks for all your hard work..---

12. JakeCourtney

JakeCourtney Villain

I'm just checking in on things. How is the progress on the mod? Has there been anything done to Diplomacy and U.N? Nukes?

*EDIT* Holy crap, I stopped being lazy and read some of the new features for the release. This mod is looking really good. I might have to reinstall Civ4.

13. Vertico

Vertico Prince

Houman

I would you gladly help You as I always did scenarios and mods for Civ2 and Civ3. This time to change anything, I must know programming :(, python etc.
    If there is anything how can I help except changing the code, I can help.

14. Anaztazioch

@ Kaiser Franz

There is no far right button with a hand... or at least i dont know what you mean by "far right" (lol).
    If you mean the one in unit action buttons its "set this unit as mercenary". This unit dissapears, you pay lower maintanace for it, and it can be called back at your wish (takes 6 turns), or can be hired by AI. This gives you money bust for hireing fee and aslo +gold/turn.

as for mercenaries.
    A button in the top left corner, next to resarch +/- puts you to mercenary screen. In there you can hire, set up units to mercenary shop and call 'em back.

Thanks man. lol i feel like im part of this mod :)

@ JakeCourtney

Progress is faster than you can imagine, but slower than your(our) patiance ;)

@ Vertico

Same here.
    But so far im just giving them more job to do, by finding bugs and in-ballances ;)

15. Kaiser Franz

Anaztazioch -- Thanks for your response -- and yes - the button I was talking about is on the far right - it is a hand holding a rolled document and another hand reaching to receive it - as if it is a "contract" . It is the only button that doesn't have a "highlight description" over the left unit box.

I did figure out what it was - through tiral and error -- mostly error :) some of my guys just dissapeared :( -- now I know what it does and that won't happen again.

My next question is going to regard artillery -- can't figure out how to send artillery rounds against ships that are hugging my coast - and I can't fire - from a safe distance - against enemy armies that are outside a city. the moment I hit the bombard button the artillery automatically assumes I want to fire at the city rather than the massed armies just outside the city -- is there a solution to this as there is in VISA ?

Thanks for all your help -- I know how much work you all must have done.

16. Anaztazioch

Dale's ranged bombardment mod is not present in Warlords convention of Total Realism 2.0 becouse it was cousing CTD. So artillery works like in Vanilla or Warlords (if theres a change).
    So you can only couse collateral damage by "normal" attack, and bombard city defances.

Untill Dale's mod seace cousing Crashes, it will not be implanted. Of course there is a slight chance that Mexico (team code/programming) will try and fix this, but so far he has lots of work on bugs, beta5 and/or gold + reallife.

17. Kaiser Franz

Anaztazioch -- once again, thanks for such a fast answer - you have excellent English, by the way - I am from Vienna, Austria so I understand the language challanges. Living in Arizona is far different from my homeland :)

Anyway - I hope the ranged bombing can be implimented some time soon -- Total Realism is a great mod - and just a few tweaks here and there will make it the very best of the great ones.

Thanks again

18. Kaiser Franz

I seem to be having a problem with the Military Advisor -- is there a way to go back to the standard Warlords Military Adviser screen? - This new one is very slow and, in fact, has a tendancy to lock up my computer. I can assure you it isn't my machine -- I have the new Velocity Micro -- Intel Core 2 Duo processor E6600 with 2 processing cores, 1066MHz system bus, 2MB x 2MB L2 cache and 2.4GHz processor speed per core - I've doubled the on board memory and now run 4GB PC5300 DDR2 memory -I also have the new NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT graphics with 512MB video memory -- I'm pretty sure it isn't my machine that's causing the problem -- any advice?

19. Kaiser Franz

OK - I'm sorry about all the posts but I have beginners questions regarding this mod -- the assasin has me confused - how does it work - are there instructions somewhere that I havn't found? I've sent one to an opposing city - he indicated he wanted to go on "sentry duty" - I left him there for about 30 turns - nothing happened -- no options to make him do anything other than sit there were available. I woke him and hit "skip" -- he did just that - for several turns -- still no other options were present. Placed him on "sentry" and still no other options showed up. -- I did notice that in the upper left of the screen a message came up saying he would activate in one turn -- again, nothing happened and I found no options to make him do anything. I re-clicked on him and one of the opposing units had a blue outline on his button -- I thought that might mean I need to clik on that button to have the assasin active - that didn't happen -- the screen went blank and Civ closed and I found myself looking at the Windows Screen -- Game closed <sigh> -- I'm sure it's something very simple that I havn't zeroed in on -- any suggestions will be appreciated :)

20. Anaztazioch

Military Advisor Cant help you with that, sorry.
    The slow downs are prolly made becouse of mods that tweak python files, like mercenary does. Also there are stacked promotions, i remember that in TR 2.0 or before they were cousing Major slowdowns in game. Pc was checking every possible title for teh stacked promotions.
    Also i dont use military advisor. Im the one that playes, not the guy that says we need to build swordsman ;)

As for assassins. If i understand it, thats new...
    This units recurie you to fortify them for 2 turns in foreign city to activate. No action button is required, it is automated. I havent seen any problem with it, exept in early Warlords conventions that Ninja was not working.

Could setting Assassins as mercenaries couse CTD ? Got to check this

Btw there is a FAQ threat for WTR http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=185703
    and an Official Civilization IV Warlords Total Realism home page http://www.houmie.com/civ4/
    as whole page in civfanatics http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202