[mod] TOTAL REALISM 2.0

Nightravn said:
@rumbold and Los Tirano - Having multiple holy cites is something we are trying to actively curb with this mod. Not saying that it can't be done but so that is isn't what usually happens unlike in Vanilla where you have Issy founding 2 or 3 of the first few religions. It just isn't very realistic.....
I'm actually fine with the holy city moving, it's the destruction of the shrine that concerns me. The one religion I'm sort of an expert on (and don't make fun of me for it :p, I don't practice any more) is Mormonism. The place it was founded, up-state New York, while not quiet a shrine, is still considered pretty close to it and will always be so as long as there is a Mormon church. But the actual ‘Holy City’ – where the church leaders were located - changed from there to Kirtland to Nauvoo to Salt Lake City.

Letting the holy city move is fine – and there should be some sort of benefit for having the holy city, just something other than the shrine (increased culture?). The shrine should stay in the city it was founded.

And I don’t think it is unrealistic that one culture/city should be home to a number of different religious shrines – Jerusalem.

But it is annoying when they are all always going to Issy, I like that it isn’t always happening now. But it’s also eerie when you go through a whole game and she doesn’t ‘found’ a single religion.
Nightravn said:
Lastly if you don't like the moving of the Holy Cities that can always be turned off in the Religious Mod ini file located in the Total Realism folder.
I appreciate the easy customization. I’ll check it out - maybe try a game with it off and see how it plays.

Pisces said:
Actually the sound of the first 4 religieons being local sounds good however there's one issue I'm sure you've already forseen: someone founding more than one religion leaving fewer and fewer for the rest. A player might go for 3 religions on noble setting leaving only a 4th option open. Making the religions cost more tech-wise might slow a player down from doing thing but would make the AI less likely to go for those techs. Making them cheaper might make a player go for a grand slam and get them all hoping the AI doesn't kill him off while he's researching (think Britain's safety).

i like being able to found(find?) multiple religions

first of all it's realistic, since it seems that all our major religions tend to come from just a few nations. judaism/christianity/islam from the semetics, taoism/cunfucianism(i still think it should be in there) from chinese, budhism/hinduism(as far as i know it was of indian origin) from the indians.

plus it seems like it makes sense to have the option to monopolize the holy cities, it makes it more urgent that those WITHOUT an early religion make a be-line for one to call their own. it also makes it more likely to have a serious religious war at some point if you can have one civ shut out most of the other religions leaving only two or three civs that get effective "pope" powers over the rest. it's not like there are a lot of civs to deal with anyways so .....well i'm pretty much rambling by now, but you get the point.

one thing i'd suggest though is that the spiral minaret get toned down a bit. if you do happen to get in a zoroastrian or budhist world and have the holy city AND the minaret, the cash bonus gets pretty rediculous. the only question left is when to go for free religion (probably once you get over $150/turn with 100% research.........)

re: the over abundance of warriors.........

ravenone said:
I've had the same boring limited build issue before on this mod also. Its attributable to not having the right balance and what you research.

hear, hear!

one of the best things about this mod is that it almost forces you to apply new strategies from the vanilla game as well as making significantly "civ-custom" research paths since each has a predefined startpoint and no starting tech. if there are no barbarian cities around to take over early on and you get stuck with nothing but warriors to build and nothing for workers to do, welllllllll..........you should probably quit and start over with either a different strategy or a civ that fits yours better. the sooner you realize your economy is crippled the sooner you can abandon a lame civ!

Los Tirano said:
""Pharoah looked upon the Regiment of Ra and was pleased. He said to them woe upon the asiatic (i.e. those who live northeast of the Sinai) , may he be ground to dust beneath our heel; may his member wither; may his wives be barren; may his sons be enslaved; and may his daughters become our concubines; and may his cities be despoiled for the greater glory of your Pharoah, the Son of Ra, and the Father of the Two Lands of Khemet (land of the black earth)"

Well said Ankenaton. Its good to hear there is another Pharaoh here.
Thanks Los Tirano; Civ IV brings back the pleasure of pillaging and laying waste the lands of the enemy!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nightravn said:
Ok everyone take a DEEP breath......... now let it out..... do it again.......

Feel Better? Good.

First let me start by saying please keep in mind that English is not Houman's and Mexico's first or even second language so what is written is sometime abit off not to mention that the written word doesn't convey the appropriate gist of the message all of the time. SO please do not take anything written here personally.

@Soviet - Actually you writing this out for us does help very much. Now with us knowing what you have done, and if everyone who had a problem would please gives us these type of details too, it makes it allot easier for us to help especially when we are not having the same problem.

@Calavente - The Aggressive trait's name has been changed to Militaristic and though it no longer gives the free combat 1 promotion to melee and gun units alone it does give 3 XP to Melee, Mounted, Gun and Armor (might be missing 1 or 2.) We felt that it wasn't the combat one that was the problem but it was that it was a free promotion so you only need a barracks and one kill to get to level which was overpowering if we gave it to all the units we wanted to. So we gave them enough XP to get the first promotion which can be anyone you want and with a barracks you get just enough to get that second promotion but you shall have to work for that third.

@Register - Yes the Redcoats and Minute replace the Musketmen unit as we felt them much better suited for those units and the Musketeers were lonely. Don't not count on anything in the Civopedia has we have not updated it to reflect all of our changes, just don't have the time for it and yes we are taking applications :).

BTW we have made Longbowmen and Crossbowmen upgradeable to musketmen now while keeping most of the melee units still upgrading to Riflemen so you won't have to start from scratch with musketmen and it actually give people a reason to make archers now. ;)

@Bosh and Crismac - Thanks Crismac for answering Bosh and we also find it it much more balanced ;) Bosh, this is all apart of the Open Tech trading mod that we have implemented. No more swapping techs around wholesale, When you have open borders with other Civ's you get a bonuses when researching techs they all ready have and they do so likewise with techs you know. This is a more realistic way of how people actually learn a technology. Though there are still those few gems you get from the oracle and liberalism, at least for now. ;)

@Zoo - Yeah starting a religion can be very prosperous just look at the Roman Catholic Church ;) though I wouldn't say it is a must do as I usually just go out an conquer one instead. You are right that part of the problem is that no body switches away from that first religion but we are looking into modifying the + Diplomacy Cap you get with the same religion. Another part of the problem is that it doesn't seem that the AI are Beelining for those Religious Techs now that they don't start with Mysticism so hopefully we will be able to adjust the AI's personalities to compensate for that though it it not easy teaching a stone to roll over.

@Lupito41 - Those are some nice Idea though I am not sure how much of that is actually doable... you can always go post them in the sourceforge Feature Tracker and we will see what we can do as long it stays on target with our goals.
I agree with you it is too easy for many of us to get bent out of shape over miscommunications/misunderstandings; these often lead to minor flame wars that detract from the native camradirie that is generally present. You will often find one or two lurkers (I am not talking about anyone here) who sit back and pounce on anything that does not fit with their personal karma/world view/mind set/personality etc. Let's have fun!:goodjob:

Sovietof17 said:
Yeah, I'm still not clear on the tech tree. Do Knights come on Guilds or Civil Service?

Other then that, my game has pretty accurately followed history, to the point of being a little spooky. I befriended the greeks, joined them in their war against the Egyptians, eradicated the Egyptians with hyspaists [not an easy task, because they were settled pretty far down the Nile]. Then I joined France in their war on England and clobbered that place with legions. After that I sided with France against Germany, and started my own war against Mali and got Greece to join me, because Mali was busy founding tons of religions [although I spread Zoro all over the place.. its in Tokyo & 1 city in the new world!].

Also the wierdest thing that happened was, when my caravel met the Aztecs, the same turn, the Incan civilization [whom I never met] died. Talk about really strange. South america looks like it it full of barbarians.

Well, I'm playing at Monarch level, and the only real civs that look like they could disrupt my power are Persia [who is camping with a GIGA-HUGE stack of death, like maybe 20-30 units on my border] and Mali, who may be ahead of me scientifically... Tech trade is off and raving barbs is on, making for a far more balanced game, once you enable tech trade the computer becomes god almighty..

Oh yeah, and Genghis Khan started out weak and somehow got to 3rd plaze, I heard messages of him razing Chinese cities, I couldn't help but laugh when I saw him going nuts... [PS, he wanted me to gang up on China :p ]
That Pharoah must have been my namesake; too busy worshipping the Aten and not tending to his empire. Woe upon him who does not protect the birthright of the Two Lands of Khemet.:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK....

After loading the patch the game plays great. At a certain point (somewhere just after Theology is discovered) if I save game and try to reload it locks up whole computer. No problem saving and loading before that, just after that general time. I even removed Civ 4, re-installed everything and still happens. This has happened with three different games and three different civs. Anyone else experience this issue. It is not hardware related (ie memory related as I have 4gb memory.) It only happens about 1/2 through medevil times.

jeffdawgfan said:
OK....

After loading the patch the game plays great. At a certain point (somewhere just after Theology is discovered) if I save game and try to reload it locks up whole computer. No problem saving and loading before that, just after that general time. I even removed Civ 4, re-installed everything and still happens. This has happened with three different games and three different civs. Anyone else experience this issue. It is not hardware related (ie memory related as I have 4gb memory.) It only happens about 1/2 through medevil times.

Yeah, I don't think it's just you. I think someone else earlier mentioned the same problem and I had a game of mine do the same thing. But mine was still BC when it happened. Tech wise, I was in or near medevil (can't remember, it was a few days and games ago - just been play FfH and Sevo since I didn't want to experience it again).

I just thought it was my computer because it isn't a power house. I'll add something to their bug forum on their sourceforge web site. Maybe they can figure out if there is something in the mod causing it.

Edit: I tried to load my last autosave for the game that kept freezing in the bug report thing you guys have on sourceforge, but am not sure if it worked. If not, let me know and I'll try to post it here.

ok, this crash is continue to get in my nerves, I cannot play this mod cause everytime it loads, it stops at XML (uncaches) and give me a crash error. How do i get rid of this error before i go insane and remove this mod.

jeffdawgfan said:
OK....

I have been having the same problem, but it has happened to me before I discovered Theology (maybe the AI discovered it ... who knows? It happened before the patch and after. Only during a load game and it seems to be random since I can load the game after rebooting and restarting. At first I thought it might be my hard drive or that my computer is overheating. I'm not sure what the problem is though.
:confused:

rumbold said:
Letting the holy city move is fine – and there should be some sort of benefit for having the holy city, just something other than the shrine (increased culture?). The shrine should stay in the city it was founded.

And I don’t think it is unrealistic that one culture/city should be home to a number of different religious shrines – Jerusalem.

and judaism has also exception in this mod: when you have judaism (as dominant rel.), you can have other holy cities in judaism holy city too

and destroying shrine: imagine situation, that civ has ie hinduism state religion. then also found islam. both are spreadin in other countries too and someone other make islam his state religion. then holy city of islam moves from first civ to other. and if we keep city as is, then all benefits from islam go into first civ (which do "not support" islam), and civ, which adopt islam as state religion ("support" him) got nothing

and if yopu have free religion, then holy city stop moving

so no one is going to help me? this crash error i'm getting is not letting me play this mod, it's pissing me off! Civ 4 always crash when i load the mod and give me the crash error everytime it loads to xml (uncache), need help.

darkedone02 said:
so no one is going to help me? this crash error i'm getting is not letting me play this mod, it's pissing me off! Civ 4 always crash when i load the mod and give me the crash error everytime it loads to xml (uncache), need help.
just for confirmation: you load mod directly with desktop icon? if yes, try this (this always work for me):
1. clear cache
2. start vanilla civ
3. load mod (under advanced submenu) - sometimes crash may occure. in this case, do not clear cache and start mod from desktop

and when crash occure if you start saved game directly (double-clik on them):
start mod and then load saved game (i alwasy use this method and i never get crash in last week - and i have so underpowered comp - 512MB RAM, 1.6GHZ mobile pentium)

edit:my friend has always problem (not only with civ game), when he overclocking his athlon cpu ...

When playing as the romans on a random map, at the end of the turn I set the science rate to where my money is barely positive. By the next turn I am loosing money. I had a lot of mercs out for sale between wars then brought them home when I was suprised attacked by catherine who was pleased with me on Emperor so the money calculations may need examining. I had an extra general out for merc rental still.

Ok...i built my first demolition worker and sent him to this city i wanted razed.

It's a city i conquered from barbarians who didn't get the raze option so i was stuck with it (it's poorly placed).

Anyway:
1) if i scroll over the raze city button it states that it will take 1 turn (and -1 hammers, whatever that means)
2) I cliked on the raze city button
3) the worker vanished and under city buildings of that city, a "raze city" building appears
4) i ended the turn, hoping for something to happen but nothing (i just get that hinduism has spread to that city, which i figured just to be a coincidence)

is this some bug?

how do i fix it?

zenithilos said:
Ok...i built my first demolition worker and sent him to this city i wanted razed.

It's a city i conquered from barbarians who didn't get the raze option so i was stuck with it (it's poorly placed).

Anyway:
1) if i scroll over the raze city button it states that it will take 1 turn (and -1 hammers, whatever that means)
2) I cliked on the raze city button
3) the worker vanished and under city buildings of that city, a "raze city" building appears
4) i ended the turn, hoping for something to happen but nothing (i just get that hinduism has spread to that city, which i figured just to be a coincidence)

is this some bug?

how do i fix it?
confirmed, it is a bug :(
and this -1 :hammers: it is not minus, it is dash

EDIT: will be resolved in incoming 2.0.2 patch

Is there a way to disable the raze city mod? I like the idea, but since it is not working correctly I'd like to disable it. It's annoying trying to kill barbarian cities and not being able to destroy them.

Thanks guys.

Cham

Top Bottom