[mod] TOTAL REALISM 2.0

Spartan117 said:
cant begin to imagine. i think obviously seige units strengths should be lowered. :D, they would be overpowered if there strength if lowered.

but seriously what would be difference between trebuchet and catapult, will seige weapons retain ability to attack? or will they be like machine gunner, and only be able to defend and of course bombard? in warlords the trebuchet is meant to be city raider where catapult is momeant to be field artillery.

good luck with the rest of mod.:goodjob:
all land siege-units is defend-only, and can only bombard (for this reason machinegunner is no more siege, but gun unit)
bombardment is not bound to city only, you can bombard any unit anywhere, but when unit is in city, you also lowered city defense (as in vanilla)

will their strength be the same?

edit: i meant, i think if they were allowed to attack and bombard then they would have been overpowered while having the same strength:lol:

bit of grammatical errors

and what would be difference between trebuchet and catapult? what would be benefits of having a trebuchet( which requires more production) instead of catapult?:)

Spartan117 said:
will their strength be the same?

edit: i meant, i think if they were allowed to attack and bombard then they would have been overpowered while having the same strength:lol:

bit of grammatical errors

and what would be difference between trebuchet and catapult? what would be benefits of having a trebuchet( which requires more production) instead of catapult?:)

strength remain same, but unit can not attack, only bombard. and bombard damage calculation is slightly different from normal combat calculation, so i think (based on my tests) that this unit will not be overpowered

trebuchet vs catapult: different strength, more collateral damage...

Some 25 pages back, which was a few weeks ago, I posted a few ideas on how to make assasins simultaneously more useful and less powerful, as they are far too overpowered right now- Witness cynical magician's 6 step civ destruction strategy.

Simply think why these tactics do not work in real life? Why have terrorist attacks not destroyed America? Because people adapt. After a terrorist attack, security is drastically increased, making it much harder to do the same thing again. Assasin spam is ridiculous and needs changing.

I believe these ideas are still relevant an I am reposting them (slightly updated) so that those who were not around before can see and comment on them. I know it's too late for changes to this patch, but maybe next time?

Allow them to be built anywhere. Still restrict production to one city, but allow the player to choose which by building a national wonder. something like 'Assassin School'

Make seperate buttons for missions, instead of having them fortify in a city.

Have a price for each mission, like with spies.

Assasins should have a (initially small) chance to fail their mission.

When assasins fail, they should be interrogated, which would result in a negative modifier on relations with the target civ.

Have a city's security tighten up after an attack, so that the chance of success for subsequent attacks is reduced

Have lots of different missions, like:

Assassinate local leader- Causes Riots
Assassinate young prodigy- Resets target city's great person meter
Assassinate prominent researcher- Causes target Civ to lose research data
Steal research- Steals some research data
Bomb Public Areas- Causes more severe riots. (requires chemistry)
Destroy Cultural Icon- Damages culture in target city
Poison Water Supply- Increases unhealthiness in target city
Assassinate Merchants- Temporarily (10 turns) shuts down a trade route to target city

Thank you for your time.

WarKirby

WarKirby said:
Some 25 pages back, which was a few weeks ago, I posted a few ideas on how to make assasins simultaneously more useful and less powerful, as they are far too overpowered right now- Witness cynical magician's 6 step civ destruction strategy.

Simply think why these tactics do not work in real life? Why have terrorist attacks not destroyed America? Because people adapt. After a terrorist attack, security is drastically increased, making it much harder to do the same thing again. Assasin spam is ridiculous and needs changing.

I believe these ideas are still relevant an I am reposting them (slightly updated) so that those who were not around before can see and comment on them. I know it's too late for changes to this patch, but maybe next time?

Thank you for your time.

WarKirby

Hi,

Yeap. You are right. Assassins are too powerfull. I had used Cynical Magician's tactics for a long time and i still feel disapointed by this" kind of cheat". It's too easy....
So, as you say, something must be done. I also purpose an anti-assassins unit, like a counter-spy in fact. You should built this unit in a city and fortify it: the bonus of fortification could be the value used to lower the chance of success. This would lower the chance of a succesfull assassin's attack.

The Frog

Computer wouldnt build the counter spy, i suspect. So problems there. As for the claim that terrorists havent destroyed america, well to that i say it is a different situation.

Now for it to be like civ, all of the mayors in every city would have to have been assassinated, some of the dominant administration would have to have been killed by assassins, multiple stories fabricated by the assassins as to who was responsible would be spreading amongst the populace causing them to riot against those responsible, with general chaos ensuing. Not only that, but if all six steps are followed then military forces tied to the assassins would be moving into position and only attacking when the government had collapsed and every city was in disorder. So im sure you can see that the few attacks against the u.s is quite different to the 6 steps. There is no army in mexico and canada waiting to swoop in, and not every city has experienced terror attacks. So its quite different. If all of the above steps had occured against the u.s i would give it a very good chance of collapsing. So the six steps is not unrealistic. Its just very sly and pulls no punches.

Los Tirano said:
Computer wouldnt build the counter spy, i suspect. So problems there. As for the claim that terrorists havent destroyed america, well to that i say it is a different situation.

Now for it to be like civ, all of the mayors in every city would have to have been assassinated, some of the dominant administration would have to have been killed by assassins, multiple stories fabricated by the assassins as to who was responsible would be spreading amongst the populace causing them to riot against those responsible, with general chaos ensuing. Not only that, but if all six steps are followed then military forces tied to the assassins would be moving into position and only attacking when the government had collapsed and every city was in disorder. So im sure you can see that the few attacks against the u.s is quite different to the 6 steps. There is no army in mexico and canada waiting to swoop in, and not every city has experienced terror attacks. So its quite different. If all of the above steps had occured against the u.s i would give it a very good chance of collapsing. So the six steps is not unrealistic. Its just very sly and pulls no punches.

When you describe just how far-fetched the idea of what would have to happen to cause such dire consequences as a result of mass-assassinations, it goes to show just how overpowered the assassin unit is in this game.

I was thinking that one way to fix this would be to not change the cultural borders because of a successful assassin attack. The main problem with cynical magicians formula is that by using assassins you can move troops into positions right next to enemy cities. I would propose that the area of land "lost" during an uprising should be made impassable (if possible) to ANY civ.

This is realistic in that there are rebellious areas of many countries where even their own countries troops can't go, much less foreign troops. Rebellious cities should be dangerous places to be near, not an invitation for stacks of troops to come in.

Having mission costs also seems reasonable, as well as a diplomacy penalty for failed missions, maybe even for successful missions, in the real world, leaders don't get assassinated without the country finding out or at least having a very strong idea about who was behind it.

I used to use spies to bother and provoke other civs, with TR I don't even bother with spies, way too expensive and underpowered vs. assassins. Spies only come up now when I have a defensive pact I don't want to break but I want a certian civ to declare war on me.

All in all I should say this is a great mod, the greatest mod, IMO. I have no use for warlords, but will only buy it when I need it to keep up with advancements in this mod.

Thanks for all the hard work everyone puts in on this, you guys are doing the work that Fraxis pays programmers big $$ to do, for free, and you've put out a better product.

Is it possible to have certain buildings lower the chance of assassination?

ie. temple -5% courthouse -10% police station -10% cathedral-10%and so on-

showing how- law and order and shared info in the govt/religious sector could thwart attempts.

THARN said:
Is it possible to have certain buildings lower the chance of assassination?

ie. temple -5% courthouse -10% police station -10% cathedral-10%and so on-

showing how- law and order and shared info in the govt/religious sector could thwart attempts.

The police station/jail could lower the chance of attack.

Courthouse and religious buildings could shorten the length of rebellion.

JatheIII said:
Thanks for all the hard work everyone puts in on this, you guys are doing the work that Fraxis pays programmers big $$ to do, for free, and you've put out a better product.

Very true!!!!!!! I hope Firaxis is preparing big consulting fees for you guys on Civ V.

Hi,

THARN's idea is quite good. Some buildings can lower the chance of a successfull attack. Some civics could also do this job. A police state is more adapted to remove the risk of successfull attack than a democraty. ( Just remember then in our world, terrorist attacks were made against USA, UK, Spain and in the past France, Italy and Germany which are among the oldest and true democraty...)

I also agree with JahtheIII. Maybie, not removing the cultural borders is the solution. It's always painfull to see one of its cities under unrest for 10+ turns but if you add the lost of cultural borders.... pff ! life becomes impossible.

@ Los Tirano: I don't agree with you. Even if all the 6 steps were successfull in US, i think that an important part of Americains would try to do something (fighting, rescuing their brothers, helping the rest of their administration,...). Destroying a dictature is easy, only a small part of the pop share the bonuses of this kind of government, whereas in democraty most of the pop share these bonuses (freedom, free speech, religious freedom,...). Furthemore, if this problem would happened, i think that US still have friends in Europe (for exemple) who would tried to help them, even if we sometimes don't agree about global politics.... France has helped USA during their War of Independance, USA has helped France and UK (and more countries) during WWI, WWII and Cold War. Sometimes we don't agree but we share the same common way of life (freedom, democraty, free speech, religious freedom, liberal economy,....)

The Frog.

This is a fantastic mod ! but i cant seem to be able to use ICBM'S at all. I have all the correct resources and buildings but still i cant create them.

When next patch will be released?

Please make it tomorrow. I cant wait to play yours mode this weekend.

Houman said:
Wasn't patience a virtue? ;)

Hi Houman,

Yes it is....
Did you read posts about assassins ?
What do you think of some changes in a future release ?

About lists: do you progress ? Do you need more ? if yes which civs ?

The Frog.

Hian the Frog said:
Hi Houman,

Yes it is....
Did you read posts about assassins ?
What do you think of some changes in a future release ?

About lists: do you progress ? Do you need more ? if yes which civs ?

The Frog.

i read your post and i agree (and i must say that i have some similar ideas - but no so precise defined as yours). but all this take long time - if we want assassin, which will be balanced for both side (AI and human player), we need to write AI part of code - and this is most problematic area: how to determine, which action must be done , which city/unit will be targeted etc..

CynicalMagician said:
What about assassin/spy unit specific promotions? So that more experienced spies have better odds at succeeding.
That sounds like a good idea. How often do assasination attempts against real-world leaders; mid-level gov't officials; corporate leaders actually succeed. I would say that is orders of magnitudes less than what occurs in the game. Therefore in order for a leader/sabotage event to succeed against a high profile target, the assasin should be very experienced.

Ok Quick:

Defense bonus/attack bonus vs certain unit class, such as knights is possible. combat bonus vs certain type, melee, mounted is also possible. So i guess 10% vs only Knights for English longbowman is doable.

Regarding Assassin, Warkirbies ideas are good, but need time to develop. Mexico has a way to take the SPY AI apart and write a new code for assassin's AI. We have in the new version only 3-5 Assassins allowed to be built for each nation. So it won't be that bad.

The progress is very good.

Warkirby, I will send you the FAQ.
Frog, thanks for last email, if you have more warlords of any civ that is not that complete please go on. I think the Persians, Egyptions and Zulus are complete.

Houmie

Well i disagree with you guys in regards to assassins. But probably because i dont use assassins every time in my games. The dropping of cultural borders makes sense, because the city and government in that area is in chaos. Dont forget if a civ is moving its armies up, you can still start a war and fight in the contested territory. I also like the dropping of borders because in a map that is dense with civs and borders, bringing a neighbour to their knees and moving through their territory to get to someone else and strike from a nice position is possible. If borders dont go down, then this option will no longer be available.

@Hian. The militias would put up a fight thats for sure. Given Americas location and the countries around it, that their armies are not a threat to it, and couldnt take all their cities, the six steps cannot be pulled off. But if somehow all six steps did go ahead, a modern hostile army materialised out of thin air :lol:, assassins struck in most cities and killed leaders and sowed confusion, any nation would be in trouble. But, america does have allies and they would step in to do what they could. Its entirely unrealistic, a more dense theatre of war like europe would be better suited for the six steps. My last thought is that in america, many (militia, marxist, anarchist type) groups would like to bring down the government, what would they do in a crisis like this?

Top Bottom