1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modding Q&A

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Oni Ryuu, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

Thank you tom2050

I needed “auto place victory locations”, “allow anyone to capture any flag”, and “reverse capture the flag” to make it work.

Excellent work guys, all of the supply goods work, the gold flag unit and the player only buildings work well. Thank you all. I can’t say for sure when the game will be ready but I’m going to give it every spare minute I’ve got. That doesn’t mean I’m closed to last minute suggestions though.

2. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

This isn’t important but does anyone know if it’s possible to have a naval flag unit? I’d like to plunder enemy ships. I was going to use tom2050’s flotsam unit as a towed disbandable unit only accessible with preindustrial ships using enslave. The problem with that is the AI will be lumbered with units it doesn’t understand. If it was a flag unit I imagine some complications but the AI may use the same logic for normal flag units. Again, this isn’t important.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  3. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Age of Imperialism is the player-made scenario/mod I've played that uses gold units which function effectively. Take a look at it to see how El Justo made it work.

EDIT: didn't read down far enough before replying :D Looks like you got it working.

4. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

Thanks Blue Monkey. It’s still appreciated.

5. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

There are two methods for caravans or supplyshipments in C3C.

Both need "victory point scoring" and "allow anyone to capture any flag" activated.

a) Reverse capture the flag and victory locations activated: This methode was introduced by El Justo and his great scenario AoI and is better suited for fixed maps.
    b) Capture the unit (princess) and palace: This methode was introduced with CCM (as far as I know) and is better suited for games with random maps.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  6. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

Thank you once again Civinator.
    We can now plunder enemy ships too. This is going far better than I expected. The game usually throws something horrible in my way so I’m really pleased with how this is working out.

7. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

Just to inform everyone, if you have an immobile unit on a ship and try to unload it at a coastline the game will crash. The easiest thing to do would be to write a note warning players in the units civilopedia page. Although, i'm sure that a number of people play these mods without reading the civilopedia entries.

8. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

The problem starts more early: When the AI tries to load the immobile land-unit on board of a ship this will result in freezes or at least in delays. So you should never give the load-flag to an immobile land-unit.

9. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

That’s the backbone of my latest mod.
    I’m so glad that you guys helped me make the tradable goods units’ player only.:cheers:
    I’ve made a note on all of the necessary units and the reference in game concepts so only daft players should mess things up.:old:

10. Blue Monkey

Anytime new or improved techniques are discovered it's a good idea to post them here, so we can continue to build on each other's work. Maybe you can post a thread with what you did to get it all to work?

11. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

12. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

See how Vuldacon implements this in the last age of his Escape from Zombie Island scenarios. Each of the five factions has some unique buildings and units which they get with 4th-age techs.
    I believe this is what happened in our recent failed PBEM Pirates game.

13. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

Is there a way for a none-nuclear weapon unit to still cause international opinion to turn against you?
    I have flame and chemical units and I want them to have a “war crime” marker if it’s possible.

14. Blue Monkey

Bluemofia summarizes all the unit flags here. Be aware that there is a "nuclear" AI strategy flag as well as a "nuclear" unit ability flag. These can be selected (or not) separately from each other - and doing so will change the unit capabilities and how the AI uses them in different ways. People have experimented with various combinations of these and other flags. These threads are good, easy to follow discussions by members with a lot of experience:
    There are good discussions in other threads, but these are relatively short and cover the main issues. Be sure to read the whole thread though - even the experts disagree from time to time.

15. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

Hi Blue Monkey.
    I’ve read through all of the material you provided. No one seems to know of a way to do it without an unacceptable compromise. I suppose it’s for the best: it may have meant that using a single flamethrower unit would cause “world war me” or messed with how the AI views a nation’s power. After reading the threads I may have to change some of the AI Strategies attached to my naval vessel enhancement units.
    Thanks Blue Monkey.

16. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

I keep hearing about "better use of AI Carriers and Artillery", can anyone tell me what this is about? All I've been able to do is to activate extra AI strategies in Quintilis’ editor.

17. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

I'm not sure about Carriers, but the Artillery involves flagging the Artillery as "Naval Power" AI Strategy, and not as an Artillery. The AI will actively use it as it uses its battleships/frigates in game, and bombard land targets, and retreat out of range if it has extra moves. Naturally, you can't do this with the default editor, and you'll need one of the special editors that people have created.

For more information about the artillery, please see this.

18. chickenx4

chickenx4 Prince

I'm new in this topic is requests and suggestions allowed here

19. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

20. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

Hi Bluemofia.

From what was said, it looks like it doesn’t necessarily improve the AI’s use of artillery. The fact that they rarely (or never) build them is also discouraging. I’ll have to do some tests to see if it’ll add anything to the game or just swap one chunk of barely functional logic for another.

Thanks for the info, Oni.