Modding Q&A

Ah that setting doesnt work? I was going to be using that.... May not affect me too much however. Been trying new things in a mod im working on.

Ah that setting doesnt work? I was going to be using that.... May not affect me too much however. Been trying new things in a mod im working on.
Sucks, I was pretty pumped about it. Got some flavors set tho, will run some tests over the next few see how much that gets the AI pumped about law and order.

And here's one I'm pretty sure there's an answer for: After extending with Stephs or Maptweaker, the added sections of the map are automatically revealed from the start of the game (like a verticle line on the map edge where 4 tiles were added, and everything else black fog of war as usual until explored).
I figured this one out years ago but can't remember what the solution was. Anyone know?

Sucks, I was pretty pumped about it. Got some flavors set tho, will run some tests over the next few see how much that gets the AI pumped about law and order.

And here's one I'm pretty sure there's an answer for: After extending with Stephs or Maptweaker, the added sections of the map are automatically revealed from the start of the game (like a verticle line on the map edge where 4 tiles were added, and everything else black fog of war as usual until explored).
I figured this one out years ago but can't remember what the solution was. Anyone know?

Did you check the fog of war overlay button in the editor? Maybe you can just refog it.

Did you check the fog of war overlay button in the editor? Maybe you can just refog it.
Where's that under? Maps?
To clarify, its not that you can see through the grey fog of war that obscures units in that expanded strip, but the black 'fog of war' that obscures unexplored the terrain.

Where's that under? Maps?
To clarify, its not that you can see through the grey fog of war that obscures units in that expanded strip, but the black 'fog of war' that obscures unexplored the terrain.

The button right next to the overlay button that contains rivers, and the choose resource button and the place city button. In the toolbar. This allows certain portions of the map to be visible in the map box bottom left, but you wouldnt see units or activity there, only the terrain tiles itself.

hOT DOG.

Yeup, I can just put down new fog'0. Something about map resizing takes parts of it away, apparently.
Thanks

upload_2019-10-31_19-22-17.png

Anyone ever get this before? It's occuring during East West combat animation between two identical units Supra's 'GojiFinal'' (Godzilla).

Can place the unit fine, no errors with the other animation. In fact, I ran through its combat animations in game, too, and no issues in execpt in the west facing direction. Thinking about it now there is a defend animation, but I don't know why that would cause issue only in certain directions

Flicster got some special debugging that Civ3FlcEdit don't? It runs through the animations fine in Civ3FlcEdit, and I just extracted it to .pcx and took a look at them in gimp, and they look normal.. Tho I don't know what I'm looking for. They west facing is the same size as the rest and nothing funky looking.

EDIT, ok, nevermind, it's the whole damn Fortify FLC

Last edited:
I had such error messages during the tests of CCM2: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ccm1-epic-mod.352057/page-94#post-14820055

If remembering well, in the case of the error message in the linked post, one frame of that animation was missing. Wotan49 solved this problem very well :thumbsup: by mirroring the working animation of the opposite direction of the unit and replacing the 'bad' animation with the new one. Until now nobody noticed, that in the death animation of the Japanese swordsman in CCM2, in the replaced direction the swordsman now holds his sword and shield in different hands as it is in the combat animation of that unit. :D

Mirroring the working opposite animation of the Godzilla unit could be more easily.

Yeah thats what I was thinking.

Some of the other Godzilla animations from Supa's same pack got errors too. Some even crash CivFlcEdit

Edit: Screw that. I'd have to reverse the animation frame by frame. That's like 50 frames. Guess old zilla doesn't get a west facing attacka
EDIT, MY EDIT: Tis the fortify animation so I just cut that out

Last edited:
Bungus... is the problem the Fortify or Attack?

Civ3FlicEdit will remove the 1st Frame of an animation and duplicate the 2nd Frame, causing a big hesitation in the animation as it is not only missing the 1st frame but also adding a duplicate 2nd frame.
This happens when making a Flc from a new storyboard. IF you already have an existing Flc, Civ3FlcEdit will open it and keep all of the existing Frames.

Flicster is best to use when making a new Flc although you can use Civ3FlicEdit with Flicster to keep the animations as they are suppose to be.

Bungus... is the problem the Fortify or Attack?

Civ3FlicEdit will remove the 1st Frame of an animation and duplicate the 2nd Frame, causing a big hesitation in the animation as it is not only missing the 1st frame but also adding a duplicate 2nd frame.
This happens when making a Flc from a new storyboard. IF you already have an existing Flc, Civ3FlcEdit will open it and keep all of the existing Frames.

Flicster is best to use when making a new Flc although you can use Civ3FlicEdit with Flicster to keep the animations as they are suppose to be.
Aha. Thanks, good to know. Flcster 1.01 is the latest, right?

Yeah sorry bot the confusion is the fortify. I removed it from the ini and it runs fine. Theres no animation gap between default and the start of attacka so I dont know what purpose the fortify served anyway

Bungus... Yes, Flicster 1.0.1 The main thing to note about Flicster is to keep animations at least 2 pixels away from the Right Frame Line or it causes streaks through the animation. All other Frames can be touched by animations with no problem.

The Fortify is used when you want to Fortify the Unit on the map and used as a transition from the Default to the Attack.

IF you want a simple Fortify, you could make a 1 frame Fortify for all directions that shows the Unit in a fortified position... simply would not be animated and would immediately go from the Default to that position.

I am still wondering what was wrong with the Fortify... can you post that Fortify.flc?

Hope you don't mind a .Raaaaaaaaar file... Whatever zip program I have says I'm all out of free zippers and wants cash

Anyway its not a big deal because it doesn't look like there's any animation 'gap' between the fort and attacka. So if he does anything in the fortify animation, it ends with him in the same place as the default, so I just used the default animation as a fortify as well, added a growl sound effect and bam.

BTW if anyone wants sound files for ol Zilla I mixed some up

Attachments

• fortify.rar
    473.5 KB · Views: 169
Bungus... Yes, Flicster 1.0.1 The main thing to note about Flicster is to keep animations at least 2 pixels away from the Right Frame Line or it causes streaks through the animation. All other Frames can be touched by animations with no problem.

Vuldacon, this is a great information I have not known yet! :)

Bungus... the .rar file is not a valid .rar file and cannot be opened.

Civinator... Flicster does not streak the animation every time when the animation is not at least 2 pixels away from the Right Frame Line but does most of the time.

Civ3FlicEdit has the problem of removing the 1st Frame of a new Animation and replacing it with a duplicated 2nd Frame. This is Only for New Animations... if you Open an existing Animation then create a Storyboard then Flc, Civ3FlicEdit has no problems. You can Use an existing FXM file with the same Number of Frames and same Size Frames with a new Storyboard and that works as well. Some members tend to make Units with the same Number and Size Frames and keep using the saved FXM file and have no problem. You could also Use Flicster to generate the FXM file then use it with Civ3FlicEdit.

Both Flicster and Civ3FlicEdit have their little "Glitches" but both are Good to use if you understand how to avoid their "Glitches". Personally, I prefer Flicster and only use Civ3FlicEdit to make Offsets.

Alrighty, Let me try that again

Attachments

• GojiFinalfortify.zip
    485.8 KB · Views: 176
Bungus... The West Direction is the problem and no good way to obtain a Storyboard from it... and you are correct that you would not have to have this Fortify as it does not show much animation.
IF you do want a Fortify for the Map, you could just make a single Frame in all Directions of the 1st Frame of the Attack, although I have not seen it.

I just used the default. It's very long so theres not more than a short delay before starting the attack. Alternatively there's a victory that comes standard which is just a big leanback roar, which kinda works too tho longer. But I'm content with just using the default and a sound effect growl.

Those are great quirks to know about flcster and civ3edit, btw. I have grown accustomed to civ3flcedit because of the ease in adjusting offsets and every unit creations penchant for unoffset units.

Top Bottom