1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modding Q&A

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Oni Ryuu, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Theov

Theov Deity

I was wondering if there was any way to 'turn off' culture in a scenario?
    What I want is that every town has a culture as their BFC (so they can work tiles) and that's it.
    Is that possible?

2. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

Yes, but only in a scenario with pre-placed towns. Check out the Rise of Rome conquest's .biq as an example.

You'd need to set each pre-placed town's Cultural value under the "Tile Properties: City" tab (Culture >10 gets you a full BFC, >100 gets you a 3-tile radius), and check the Scenario Property box "Retain Culture on Capture" so that borders don't collapse if/when towns change hands. If you don't want the borders expanding further, you'd also need to remove the Culture-points from all buildings. And to reduce AI confusion, turn off the city-governor option 'Build Culture' for all tribes.

For an epic-type game where you build new towns I don't think it's possible to give each town a set Cultural value on founding (not with the Firaxis Editor, anyway).

You could maybe fudge it by things like Culture-producing buildings which go obsolete within a certain deadline after they become buildable, and/or tribe-specific Wonders that place a Cultural building in each town (but that will also go obsolete, so that towns stop amassing Culture when the Wonder-provided building disappears), or by using the Sacrifice mechanic, but all of those methods are much more unpredictable.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  3. Theov

Theov Deity

That's what I was afraid of.
    Yeah, I've been thinking of buildings ... or just culture expansion in general but I don't see many options in the editor.

I want to make it a game mode. Like a civ1 clone, but in civ3.
    Civ1 doesn't have culture, but worked tiles / BFC are out of bounds for other units.

Or I make a Civ1 with culture. Hm.

4. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

Yeah you'd have to have negative culture buildings if in an epic mod. So after building culture, you'd then lose it gradually but maintain the border expand? Only way it would work if your city required different tiers of buildings as it grows. The upper tiers would reduce culture but it would be necessary to make the city build the upper tiers in order to progress in the game. It wouldnt be a complete restriction on culture with any method I think though.

5. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

I've never added that many units, but Civ tends to have limits that are powers of 2.
    You don't need culture to work tiles. You can just remove culture from all improvements and wonders.

6. Fortis1

Fortis1 Prince

How to make a location more appealing for AI to attack? I mean, in my scenario AI faction simply refuses to a certaion city group. It has exactly the same units/resources/buildings as other similar groups, but utterly ignored. Anything I can do to fix that?

7. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

I guess it is found wanting yet. Maybe have it have different resources?

8. Fortis1

Fortis1 Prince

Thank you for the reply!

I have only two resource types in the mod, unfortunately, and AI has one of them from the start, The second is already in the city. Does the quantity matter here? Will it be attracted by more of the same resource? Or maybe create some kind of ghost resourse which only AI has access to?

I could lower defences further, but I am afraid, that the cities will be overrun to easy. They already have just single defensive unit per city.

9. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

They like to pillage either way. Do you have an AI only faction?

Fortis1 likes this.
  10. Fortis1

Fortis1 Prince

Yes, it is AI only.

I decreased defences and they seem to be interested in a location a bit more now. I will try experimenting with it.

I also disabled pillage for most of the units, because roads are very important.

EDIT: Found an interesting solution. I made a copy of my defensive unit and made it invisible and put in the location I want to be attacked. But now AI is TOO dedicate to take over it and kills weaker units in attempts to take over it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  11. Fortis1

Fortis1 Prince

Another question. I've heard about a bug, which forces AI to spam air units, but have encountered it only now. Is there a fix for this one?

12. Snodmaulvenn

Snodmaulvenn Chieftain

Hi

Is it possible to add more eras to tech tree ?

I was trying to add a fifth era, by copy pasting a line in pediaicons and adding an extra picture but it didn't appear in editor, there is also a picture for era buttons with predetermined four ages.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  13. Takhisis

No, the amount of eras is hard-coded. But you can crowd more techs in and edit the background images to fit.
    You can also have tech trees specific to one faction or group of factions.
    Give the target location phantom resources that require an unobtainable tech and, preferably, those resources could allow that AI to build something that also requires an unobtainable tech. The AI can ‘see’ any resources that are already placed (hence why in the epic game they just happen to have taken all the oil on your continent) so it will try to attack the place to secure the resources because it cannot reason that it will never get them.

Fortis1 likes this.
  14. Snodmaulvenn

Snodmaulvenn Chieftain

15. Takhisis

^For an example of faction-specific techs, imagine Escape from Zombie Island but with four eras instead of one.

16. Snodmaulvenn

Snodmaulvenn Chieftain

What a about the number of techs ? I didn't yet try to add more than 89.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  17. Fortis1

Fortis1 Prince

Thank you, Takhisis! I managed to direct AI where I need with combination of weaker defensive units and invisible units. But I will try phantom resources next time. I happen to have a block tech in my scenario, which AI don't have enough time to research before the game ends. I will assign some kind of phantom resource to it and make it a requirement for some kind of super-unit or building. Should work.

18. Fortis1

Fortis1 Prince

Can someone, please, share a template for non-civcolored unit? One of my units have sections of blueish color, which overlaps with civ-color. Or, even if unit is non-civcolored, I can't have these colors? Thanks!

19. Takhisis

Do you know how to open .flc files using Flicster or similar software, Fortis1?

20. Fortis1

Fortis1 Prince

Sure, but I never knew one could edit palette with it.