Modding Q&A

there are scenarios where people have made the two colours to be exactly same . Finding them and starting new with importing all the other stuff from different scenarios could work . Though a lot of manual work to replace all the stats and stuff in the fixed colour edition .

edit : seems possible that you might already be using some .

Took some serious digging, but I found that editing ntp##.pcx files was the only way (that I'm aware of). Figures I would ignore units art folder when looking for team colors, heh.

any chance of explaining how to a completely computer illiterate / wannabe scenario maker ?

thanks .

The game supports 32 civ-colours exactly, so the easiest way of doing this is to make sure that each of the 31 civs and the barbarians are all matched up to exactly one of these colours for their two colour options.

should have saved one of those scenarios already but not sure where .

Hi, my short question: is there some thread about "phantom cities", that you only use as a strategic position, but where is imposible to build units?. I want a harbour city for my ww2 mod, where naval unit can heal and where resources can be traded by to. Also, i want cities with a strategical position (like road cross) that can be protected, and taken.

Hi, my short question: is there some thread about "phantom cities", that you only use as a strategic position, but where is imposible to build units?. I want a harbour city for my ww2 mod, where naval unit can heal and where resources can be traded by to. Also, i want cities with a strategical position (like road cross) that can be protected, and taken.

Tricky scenario but I see its use. However, what you describe I dont think is possible as you want a harbor city. Harbors provide a trade network. The only way to restrict unit building like you desire is by resources or auto-production. If you dont want to utilize auto-production, then it has to be unable to access that resource. Its possible to cut off cities from land network, but more difficult with a naval city. You also said that you want it to be able to trade resources so I doubt its possible.

Does anyone know why residue from previous frames appear in flc.? Here are two examples, it happens on E, W and NE frames.
The Quick answer is that your Animations are far too long. Try to keep the Attacks below 2 seconds and preferably 1 second.

I do not know what plane flc you are talking about but if it is a CIV Game Plane Flc...it seems that may be caused by something concerning your Computer.

The Rockets are touching the Right Frame in the East direction and that causes the streaking. Keep at least 2 pixels away from the Right Frame Line.
You can erase 2 pixels before the Right Frame line by painting out 2 pixels with Magenta.
The animations are long and that will cause sound problems.

What animation Flickers for the Fighter? I do not see any flickering in Flicster.

The Aircraft in the Original CIV 3/Conquests game use 5 Frames and faster Flc Speeds... take a look at them.

It might be because you are using 10 Frames and 80 Flc Speed, otherwise I do not see anything else that is causing the problem.

Try 5 Frames and 66.

I have three questions to which I could not find an answer.

1. Is it possible to create an Unit that uses the option in the editor below the Special Actions tab "Finish Improvements", that AI knows how to use it?

2. If the editor specifies that normal Improvement type B needs 3 Improvements type A, and this condition is satisfied through 3 cities that have improvement A. Does this mean that the next city (number 4) can immediately build Improvement B without having to build first Improvement A. (For reference, I’m not talking about GW and SW)

3. If marked for Aqueduct Allows City Size 2 and Must be Near River. Does this mean that cities on the river cannot achieve size 2 without Aqueduct? If not, is there any other workaround to achieve that?

1. Is it possible to create an Unit that uses the option in the editor below the Special Actions tab "Finish Improvements", that AI knows how to use it?
In the unpatched epic-game*, on the rare occasion that an AI actually gets an MGL (and successfully evacuates it to the nearest town, if acquired on the battlefield) or SGL, this is exactly what it already does, although the project it will rush may not always be optimal.

*In the @Flintlock'd .exe, the AI's MGL-routine has been vastly improved. It will now correctly evacuate a new MGL to the nearest town, and then evaluate the best usage for it, prioritising rushing a large/expensive build such as a G/S Wonder, or Factory (if such a build is in progress but still a long way from completion, and/or its Army-limit has already been reached), otherwise it will create an Army. And then it will load (and use!) that Army reasonably effectively.
2. If the editor specifies that normal Improvement type B needs 3 Improvements type A, and this condition is satisfied through 3 cities that have improvement A. Does this mean that the next city (number 4) can immediately build Improvement B without having to build first Improvement A. (For reference, I’m not talking about GW and SW)
Yes, (AFAIK) that is correct.
3. If marked for Aqueduct Allows City Size 2 and Must be Near River. Does this mean that cities on the river cannot achieve size 2 without Aqueduct?
No! Cities which are already directly adjacent to a river (or lake) have always been able to grow to Size2 (i.e. Pop7–12 in the epic-game) without an "Allows Size 2"-building!

The "Must be near a river [/freshwater]" flags are actually a little too brief for full clarity (IMHO).

They should be understood to mean "Requires at least one FatCross-tile with a river [/freshwater source; i.e. the latter flag is a less specific requirement] along at least one edge": i.e. if you set the Aqueduct to require a river (or freshwater source), it should be available to build in any town which is up to 2 tiles away from any river (or freshwater source)*. But any town beyond that distance will be stuck at Size1 forever — or until a building becomes available later which has the "Allows Size 2" flag but does not require a river (e.g. in the epic-game, you could give the Hospital both the "Allows Size 2" and the "Allows Size 3" flags, which would ensure that towns 3 or more tiles from rivers would stay small until Sanitation is learned during the Industrial Age).

*Caveat: I'm not sure whether that extended definition also includes the outer edges of the 'corner-tiles' (the 4 tiles which are subtracted from the 5*5 block around a city, to make the 21-tile FatCross).

Last edited:
@tjs282

Related to the first question. As far as I can see inside the editor under the tab "Special Actions" Finish Improvement and Build Army are two different options.

I'm interested in making a new Unit that would be autoproduced and enabling the "Finish Improvement" option, but I'm wondering if AI will know how to use it?

Regarding other previous questions, everything is clear to me now. Thank you.

2. If the editor specifies that normal Improvement type B needs 3 Improvements type A, and this condition is satisfied through 3 cities that have improvement A. Does this mean that the next city (number 4) can immediately build Improvement B without having to build first Improvement A.

And one important addition to the answer of tjs282:

This is also correct, when the prerequisite building (that in your example must be produced in three cities) meantime went obsolete. I tested this in the CCM mod, where three temples in combination with era none techs are needed to produce different religious communities, those again are needed for different religious wonders (p.e. world religions), and the temples later went obsolete by a certain tech. When those at least three cities of a civ had the temples built before that building was going obsolete, the religious communities can been built even after the obsolescence of that building (temple).

@tjs282

Related to the first question. As far as I can see inside the editor under the tab "Special Actions" Finish Improvement and Build Army are two different options.

I'm interested in making a new Unit that would be autoproduced and enabling the "Finish Improvement" option, but I'm wondering if AI will know how to use it?

Regarding other previous questions, everything is clear to me now. Thank you.

My tests long ago to that question were negative. The AI leader strategy worked for battle-created leaders, not for autoproduced leaders.

Yes, that's true — but secondary to my (intended) main point, which was that the epic-game AI already knows what to do with a unit (flagged with the AI-Strategy "Leader" and) that has the "Finish Improvement" ability.

Should also be noted that the AI, unlike the human, can use MGLs (at least, those generated by a winning city-defender, per Civinator's post) to also rush GWonders. I can't remember offhand if Flintlock fixed that.

(I know he fixed the broken Science Age, but with most of my recent games having been started — and lost! — at Demigod level, my tech-ing has been lagging a lot further behind the leading AI-Civs, so I haven't won enough excess SGLs to test that yet — only one to date, as Sumeria, which I used for the United Nations, to forestall a Diplo-loss)

Top Bottom