1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Infantry Collection

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by NavyDawg, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Spacer One

Spacer One Avatar subject to change

modern Native American would be awesome...and easy, since they are "fictitious" and can have and gun and gear...since you seem to be covering North America :)

2. NavyDawg

NavyDawg Audentes Fortuna Iuvat

I've always thought about making a few alternate reality units a la Kinboat's modern legion. But how much traditional Native American garb/texturing would need to be included to make it not look like any other dude in a helmet with a modern rifle?

3. Spacer One

Its more about the skin tone I think...

By the Modern Era, you would assume that "Tribal" garb would be mostly gone (Maybe still some war paint on the helmet? but not feathers sticking out the back)

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Civ3 Modding Archivist

You could probably just emulate the - was it the 101st or 82nd? - who parachuted into Normandy with their hair cut into Mohawks.

-Oz

5. The Tuna Bomber

The Tuna Bomber Shocking Beyond Belief

And have a tomahawk attack!:lol:

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Civ3 Modding Archivist

They carry cruise missiles? :confused: :)joke: )

7. Spacer One

I would think that war paint on the helmet would be cool...Also, the possibility of ceremonial ornaments is not out of the question...There are Native Americans who still wear the full dress occasionally, so why not when going off to war??

8. SoAB

SoAB Chieftain

Nah, the regulars in the native American army would probably dress like any other. Aside from skin tone. I guess if you really want some distinction you can give them a leaf and brush covered helment or gear. Almost guille suit like but not that thick and elaborate.

They might use a AK-74 rifle (you'd think Indians would put up with the M-16's problems?), G3 or FN rifle. Heck they may even keep the good ol' M-14 because of it's accuracy... or a totally fictional gun. It's allready a fictional unit.

9. BadKharma

BadKharma Deity

That was the 101 "Screaming Eagles" also some of them painted warpaint on their faces in addition to the mohawks.

10. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

That is frickin' awesome hardcore. I love it.

11. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Before you all get involved too much with these Native Americans, don't you think we need a Soviet/Russian ;)?

12. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

I just realized what I like about these guys they have eyes/

13. Spacer One

Oh Come on...there are TONS of Russian, US, Euro troops...all Im asking is for something with some skin tone...even a tan...

Ya need a Russian?? use one of the 4 Spetznaz units out there...Show me a Columbian?? American Indian??

I am a Big fan of the Russian units, but it IS possible to complete the Russian unit line from begining to end...it is not possible to do the same for the American continent(Natives), or the Polynesians...

14. NavyDawg

NavyDawg Audentes Fortuna Iuvat

@ Spacer, I'll probably make a tan unit down the road that can be used as a Native American, South American, etc... Without anything over the top (e.g. feathers) it should be fairly generic.

15. Spacer One

16. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

When the Russian army uses any of those guns NavyGun, you can give me a PM, because I need an AK.

Those don't look remotely like Russian soldiers, they look like specialized soldiers. Actually, Swoggy made a Colombian Infantry for me a while back with jungle camo.

Maybe in an epic mod, but some people need more specialized units for more specialized mods.

17. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

Even for an epic mod.

I've like to have proper Russian infantry unit, proper paratrooper, and proper naval infantry.

Not the Spetsnaz recolored again and again. The Spetsnaz is the special force.

18. Exoticpollution

Exoticpollution Chieftain

These are all great units. Thanks for making these Navy Dawg.

As for the Polynesians and South Americans, you should just imagine that by the modern age they simply have some of their disadvantaged light-skinned minorities fighting for them. That sort of thing isn't uncommon in the real world. I imagine that it would be in the Civ world which sees modern empires much larger than anything that exists in our world.

19. Spacer One

Look, Im not saying I dont want proper Russian infantry, but Im putting together a MOD and Ive noticed serious holes in the CFC unit base...I make requests based on what I see missing...I find it irritating that there are SO many European infantry, American infantry, and generally "White" skinned infantry...NavyDawg has been good enough to make "African" or dark skinned units, but there are very few that can pass for MesoAmerican, or Latino/Hispanic...

If you mean the FARC infantry, Im using it...if there are more South American infantry please point me that way...

Sorry if I in some way hurt someones feelings...

20. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

We'll agree with you that there are few African, Indian,, or Latin modern infantry units.
    There are also few Asian ones.

But it doesn't change the fact that there are not so many European / American or Russian.

Simply because in the late game, if you want to differentiate between marines, infantry, paratrooper, you would need at least 3 units for each civilization.
    Or you hav eto use the same animation for all .