• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Modern warfare

RedRover57

Emperor
I'm trying to figure out how to set up a game to try out modern warfare. I guess I need to start the game at a later date? When I start on the default time setting the games rarely last long enough to get to modern units. This is with difficulties up to Immortal. Domination victories and science victories are usually completed before turn 250 (standard setting), with some domination victories occurring much quicker (turn 150-170) when using a powerful civ like Mongolia, Songhai, etc. Culture victories are a bit longer, usually between turns 250-300, but still rarely reach modern units.

Maybe this is because I almost always play pangaea? I guess a domination game on continents would last a bit longer. My last continents game was only 260ish turns, but that was a science win. I have never built stealth bombers or GDRs, and can count on one hand the number of games that had significant battles with aircraft, helicopter gunships, tanks, etc.

Maybe someone can suggest a good starting setting to try some modern warfare?

Bigger maps same speed?

Or just aim for late conquest. Sit back, gain tech advantage via RA's up to the point it feels modern enough for you, get Autocracy and conquer the world. Whether it's gonna be a real enjoyment is another question. Personally I feel like AI is really bad at modern wars (more than usual), besides, they are short. If you think artillery is OP'd in human hands, you should try stealth bombers with logistics. :crazyeye:

Starting in later era makes the game ridiculously easier and kill all difficulty level related challenges.

That being said, I have little experience myself, maybe people who practice modern warfare often will offer a more optimistic forecast.

The problem with purposefully delaying a victory in order to reach modern units is that you then have to contend with the AI getting nukes. I guess the main issue is that nukes are too early in the tech tree and probably should be "last resort' techs at the end of the tree.

Turn off the other victory conditions! It's quite fun starting a modern era (or industrial) game and going for conquest. It is very easy in comparison to a normal game, though, but does give you a game entirely focused on modern warfare.

The problem with purposefully delaying a victory in order to reach modern units is that you then have to contend with the AI getting nukes. I guess the main issue is that nukes are too early in the tech tree and probably should be "last resort' techs at the end of the tree.
Not necessarily. People win science/diplo after all.
Good scouting and destroying uranium mines also help. Anyway, nukes are one of the aspects of modern warfare. :) I'm sure there are mods to alter their use in some way. Moving them further in the tree would be wrong from historical point of view.

There is a mod that disables nukes. I use it because I like the modern warfare with all the tactics. Nukes are just stupidly decimating enemies. Until there a good defenses for nukes, I disable them.

This is kinda nice seeing as you RedRover my man helped me a lot with my Songhai conquest game.....I have a save. I shied away from another Babylon science victory because of precisely what you described. the save is even called modern warfare. i originally kept it for my little bro who mostly plays TF2 and gets bored with civ cos of the lack of explosions

I won't say anything more and Ill let you work out strats yourself.
Settings: immortal, fractal, standard time, standard size

As for modern warfare being more relevant, I agree with whats been said. Make the map bigger and don't play on a pangaea

Attachments

• modern warfare.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
agreed, the potential for nuclear weapons was known prior to WW II.

The Manhattan Project National Wonder represents the hard work getting the first one.

Not necessarily. People win science/diplo after all.
Good scouting and destroying uranium mines also help. Anyway, nukes are one of the aspects of modern warfare. :) I'm sure there are mods to alter their use in some way. Moving them further in the tree would be wrong from historical point of view.

Top Bottom