Modified Scenarios Workshop

Did I get this right? You are not quiting now, are you?
People don't turn out scenarios a dime a dozen these days, you know.
Without your amazing effort to bring these old marvels back to life methinks this old hull will go belly up!
We need you, you have work to do.

Jim Panse's "Gotterdammerung", John Petroski's "Up the deadly boot" and Case's "The Cruel sea" for example
And don't forget Exodus.

Thanks Tanelorn for your words, but I think I have already contributed many scenarios (as Catfish said, I was very busy). There are many more, but I finish my performance. I will be able to focus on some change or modification, but after the problems in some conversion, with a monotonous and long recovery, I think I deserve to play more and complicate myself less. I look forward to the next and new projects of people with the talent of Patine, Techumseh or McMonkey or the ever better units of Tanelorn (or a surprise appearance of Fairline).
If someone is encouraged to convert new scenarios do not hesitate to ask me any questions or problems. Although with the excellent information of the page of Catfish, I think that it is not necessary: http://users.tpg.com.au/jpwbeest/jp_conversion.htm
Thanks to everyone and especially to you, Tanelorn, for such good units that forced me to convert more and more scenarios :lol: :lol: :lol:
Saludos

Oh man, Gotterdemung and The Cruel Sea are particular classics for me. Though Gotterdemung never worked right IIRC.

Also the Second Front conversion was never finished was it? There's 11 rules, game and event files for it. I DLd the version posted way back when but it was non-functional.

Hi Gapetit,

Thank you for all the wonderful conversions you've done over the years. I'm certain they will continue to be enjoyed and played by our community for many years to come.

Enjoy your 'Civilization' retirement ! :)

Hi Gapetit,

Thank you for all the wonderful conversions you've done over the years. I'm certain they will continue to be enjoyed and played by our community for many years to come.

Enjoy your 'Civilization' retirement ! :)

Many thanks to you Tootall for your kind words. And I hope to continue enjoying your amazing and entertaining scenarios.

Saludos

Oh man, Gotterdemung and The Cruel Sea are particular classics for me. Though Gotterdemung never worked right IIRC.

Also the Second Front conversion was never finished was it? There's 11 rules, game and event files for it. I DLd the version posted way back when but it was non-functional.

Hello Voltar,
I think I remember that there was already a ToT version of The Cruel Sea. Not made by me, but with a lot of quality. I'll look for it.
I have never played Gotterdemung, so it's not a classic for me :mischief:.
The last one, Second Front, that is a classic for me, although it is not very clear that they finished it originally ... the case is that I seemed very complex his conversion taking into account that for example Tootall had made a scenario in the same period set, and which can be played without further ado (What I have to try again now that I am young, because I remember that I had failed to land ... :mad:).

:cheers:

Hello friends, to finish I have seen that I had forgotten to fix the scenarios of the old time. I have modified the faults and disappearance of the units in Alex The Magnificent's Peloponnesian War Sparta and the errors of conversion to ToT of Hellenis by Gabriele Quaglia. And taking advantage of this I have included some retouching in Artaxerxes by Stefan Härtel.
I also included visual retouching in The 30 Years War by Jesús Muñoz Fernández.
Saludos

Hi all,

I recently played a series of wonderful scenario’s which were converted to ToT by Gapetit, including Alejandro Spinelli`s "South Atlantic Conflict" and Markus Eklund’s "The Mongols - Timur Khan" and had a great time playing them.

As such, inspired by Gapetit's efforts over the years, I decided to make a contribution of my own to the Modified Scenarios Workshop thread.

Therefore, you can download DarthVeda’s classic World War II scenario “Operation Herbstnebel” converted for ToT from the CivFanatics download section located here.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I recently played a series of wonderful scenario’s which were converted to ToT by Gapetit, including Alejandro Spinelli`s "South Atlantic Conflict" and Markus Eklund’s "The Mongols - Timur Khan" and had a great time playing them.

As such, inspired by Gapetit's efforts over the years, I decided to make a contribution of my own to the Modified Scenarios Workshop thread.

Therefore, you can download DarthVeda’s classic World War II scenario “Operation Herbstnebel” converted for ToT from the CivFanatics download section located here.

Wow! :wow: That's something I've wanted for a long time. I've thought about doing it myself, but it looked to be so much work with all the multiple files. Lots of manual work was required, I'm sure. Thanks tootall. :clap:

Hi Tech,

Like you I'd been looking forward someday to play a ToT version of DarthVeda's scenario but when Gapetit announced his retirement earlier this year I didn't believe that would be possible anymore. Therefore I decided to have a go at it myself.

To be honest, it took a little bit of time to get familiar with the conversion process and in that regard Catfish's conversion guide proved to be indispensable (it can be found here).

In the end, creating the night graphics is what proved to be the most time consuming on this conversion project but it was well worth the effort.

Of course, I've already played this updated version and I strongly recommend it to any player who hasn't already tried it. I believe this scenario, along with Captain Nemo and Alex Mor's Second Front and Red Front scenarios, are classics that should be played at least once by all players. These masterpieces may have been created many years ago but these designers were way ahead of their time.

That said, I've caught the conversion bug and already started working on a couple of other projects that are of interest to me.

Hi Gapetit,

As I said, your conversion of so many wonderful scenarios is what inspired me to have a go at DarthVeda’s scenario. Thank you.

That said, I was wondering if you were familiar with a problem I’m experiencing with my next conversion project. I started working on Captian Nemo and Alex Mor’s Second Front scenario. As you may recall, the game was designed to play in Hotseat mode and therefore uses a HOT rather than a SCN file.

Having already completed all the graphics I proceeded to convert the scenario’s HOT file with the civconverter program, but when I try to run the scenario I get the following two system errors (see attachments), the first when I try to load the scenario and the second when I click on the ignore button of the first error.

I tried a whole series of tests to try and find the cause of the errors but with no success. I suspect it might be because the converter program is only designed to handle SCN and not HOT files. Have you ever encountered this problem before? If you have any insight on what may be the nature of the errors please let me know.

Attachments

• Error_SF.png
    Error_SF.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Error_SF_2.png
    Error_SF_2.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 112
Hi Tech,

Like you I'd been looking forward someday to play a ToT version of DarthVeda's scenario but when Gapetit announced his retirement earlier this year I didn't believe that would be possible anymore. Therefore I decided to have a go at it myself.

To be honest, it took a little bit of time to get familiar with the conversion process and in that regard Catfish's conversion guide proved to be indispensable (it can be found here).

In the end, creating the night graphics is what proved to be the most time consuming on this conversion project but it was well worth the effort.

Of course, I've already played this updated version and I strongly recommend it to any player who hasn't already tried it. I believe this scenario, along with Captain Nemo and Alex Mor's Second Front and Red Front scenarios, are classics that should be played at least once by all players. These masterpieces may have been created many years ago but these designers were way ahead of their time.

That said, I've caught the conversion bug and already started working on a couple of other projects that are of interest to me.
I remember that I had converted my Korea, Empire of the Rising Sun, and Modern Middle East scenarios (the latter two I have a full intention of finishing to quality products in their own) from their original MGE starting points to ToT scenarios with the converter YEARS ago - but I don't think I have seriously tried using it since.

Hi Gapetit,

As I said, your conversion of so many wonderful scenarios is what inspired me to have a go at DarthVeda’s scenario. Thank you.

That said, I was wondering if you were familiar with a problem I’m experiencing with my next conversion project. I started working on Captian Nemo and Alex Mor’s Second Front scenario. As you may recall, the game was designed to play in Hotseat mode and therefore uses a HOT rather than a SCN file.

Having already completed all the graphics I proceeded to convert the scenario’s HOT file with the civconverter program, but when I try to run the scenario I get the following two system errors (see attachments), the first when I try to load the scenario and the second when I click on the ignore button of the first error.

I tried a whole series of tests to try and find the cause of the errors but with no success. I suspect it might be because the converter program is only designed to handle SCN and not HOT files. Have you ever encountered this problem before? If you have any insight on what may be the nature of the errors please let me know.

Hello tootall
The conversion of that scenario that I started years ago, I made it from a .sav, and I do not remember why I left it, or what problems I found. I saw that I had focused a lot on the graphics. I have not converted a .hot, and I did not know that the original was in that format. In case you can use something of what I had done, I add the file with what I had done.
Saludos

Attachments

• Second_Front.rar
    1.5 MB · Views: 201
Hi Gapetit,

Thank you so much for the files.

I know that Captain Nemo and Alex Mor had originally created the scenario under Civilization MGE and used the HotSeat method to play whereby AI moves were not shown on screen (this version used the HOT file).

Later, it appears they converted the scenario to be able to play under Civilisation Fantastic World whereby the human player could have control of multiple Civilizations in a "normal" game (this version used a SAV file).

Looking at your files I see you were able to produce a SCN, which I did a quick test on and the scenario WORKED! I still need to test to see if I control both the Allied Ground and Allied Air Force powers but this is quite encouraging.

Thank you again!

Last edited:
Hi Tanelorn,

I'm working on a parrallel conversion project, Eivind IV "Norwegian Campaign". I completed all the graphics except for two bicycle units which I'm not happy with. I checked Fairline's Panzer General thread (located here) but couldn't find comparable quality units.

Would it be possible for you to take a look and see if you could give them a fresh look?

Attachments

• Bicycles.png
    Bicycles.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 120
Hello Tootall, I have verified that in the scenario you must act as indicated by Catfish in the conversion conversion:

"5. The Converted Scenario Crashes the Game
With CivConverter 1.4 beta, the conversion process is far from perfect and on occasions you may find yourself with a converted scenario that crashes the game. I am aware of two causes that are directly attributable to CivConverter:
(...)
Technical Info: The table in question contains entries for up to 64 map locations. Its function is a bit of a mystery, but I believe it is associated with AI goals. In FW and MGE, these tables are located at offsets 3322-3705 + 1428N, where N is the tribe number (0 to 7, starting with Barbarians). Each table is 64 x 6 (384) bytes. The first 4 bytes of each 6-byte entry contain the map coordinates; the function of the last 2 bytes is currently unknown. In ToT, these tables are located at offsets 5778-6289 + 3348N. That's 64 x 8 (512) bytes; ToT has an additional coordinate (2 bytes) for map number.

Instead of expanding the original table to include the 2 extra map bytes, CivConverter, inserts 98 zero bytes at 5753-5850 + 3348N, then takes the 25 bytes that preceded the table in the original file and dumps these at 5851-5875 + 3348N. The first 49 x 6 (294) bytes of the original table are copied unaltered to 5876-6179 + 3348N, but the last 15 entries are expanded from 6 bytes to 8, with 2 zero bytes inserted at the beginning of each entry. Net result: corrupt tables.

Solution: That's right, it's a hex-editing job. You need to edit the 8 tables located at offsets 5778-6289 + 3348N, where N is the tribe number (0 to 7, starting with Barbarians). If you're nuts, you could carefully recreate the tables using the data from the original scenario. A more practical solution is to simply zero all values in each table until you reach entries of 0x000000000000FF00. This essentially restores the tables to the same state you'd find for a completely new game."

The structure is the siguients in Hex:

Tabla.PNG

Your conversion (civilization 5 USA):
block-1.PNG

And Catfish base:
block-2.PNG

You can copy and replace one with the other to avoid a possible error on scenario.

Un saludo

Hi Tanelorn,

I'm working on a parrallel conversion project, Eivind IV "Norwegian Campaign". I completed all the graphics except for two bicycle units which I'm not happy with. I checked Fairline's Panzer General thread (located here) but couldn't find comparable quality units.

Would it be possible for you to take a look and see if you could give them a fresh look?

I have the total conversion of that scenario ... I raised it a few years ago at the request of Techumseh ... because for reasons that only concern me, I will never include a scenario where the protagonists are the Nazis ... If you ask me I will include it for a while in Modified Scenarios and then I will erase it. If you want to modify it and add it in downloads permanently, I do not mind. I do not consider myself responsible for the decisions of others.

Top Bottom