[modmodmod] The Sword of Islam Reborn

Oh I wish there were a 'technique' I knew to use. I'm pretty sure this was all done by me tabbing back and forth between the world builder and a collection of historical, topographical, and climate maps I was using for reference. I'm largely happy with how it turned out although I think I probably could/should have squeezed in another tile in between the Caucasus and the Volga. Most of my personal tweaks were done on and off over the course of years but the big expansion north happened over a few weeks when I basically found myself obsessed with the Golden Horde, and wanting to get at least part of them into the game.

Hopefully, some of this stuff can be brought to GregFred's mod if he's interested, otherwise/regardless I may just dump my edits on here and let people do with them what they want. There's so many subjective changes to the core of embryodead's mod that I'm not sure how many people would really enjoy it, but I know individual aspects like a larger map and more civs would probably work well in just about anyone's game.
If it were up to me (and it's not), I'd combine your map and GregFred187's map, and maybe add more tiles in the south to fit in Ethiopia and some Somalian states/entities. Maybe like 6 tiles in the South to get to a nice round number of 90 tiles tall.

Just a quick question, but will you add positive features for running the Paganism civic in the future to enable a Pagan playstyle? RFC: Europe has some exclusive wonders and effects for running the civic so I was wondering if something like that'd be possible. Maybe something like +1:culture: and :c5happy: from monuments to start?

@GregFred187 I like a lot about your map expansion, especially in Europe, but I'm not a big fan of your Aral or Caspian Seas. I like the way they look on @DrLoboto's map.

Also, I know this isn't your doing, but Greece is one row too short. Smyrna and Athens are not on the same latitude. Athens should be 1S of Smyrna.

I mean I think the new map looks good, my only real suggestion would be rivers rivers rivers. I didn't realize it until I started modding SOI, but not only was the Aral Sea once much bigger than the dried up little prune it is today, there were also a bunch of now dried-up branches of the Amu Darya and Syr Darya that supported cities and caravan stops during the middle ages. Also, while Mangyshlak has always been desert as hell, there were towns and forts there - "the Oghuz town of Mankashlaq" for instance, which I believe is (or is near) modern Kyzylkala. I threw up an oasis nearby. Of course, adding more cities could obviously unbalance things.

Attachments

• Map-of-Amu-darya-delta-with-ancient-branches-of-the-river.jpg
    Map-of-Amu-darya-delta-with-ancient-branches-of-the-river.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
To be honest we didn't get very far. Just discussed a few things and Nizou did a little modding. The only modding I have done is for RFCGW, and that is coded quite differently from SOI. Plus I am not very good at modding, so I wouldn't likely be much help.

I do very much support the idea behind this mod though. AtlantaMarty actually probably did the hardest part (the expansion of the map) and then he just left. An additional shame was that the most recent version of his mod seems to have disapeared as well.
Anyway I hope your revival of this goes well, it is worth doing in my humble opinion. :thumbsup:
Oh wow wanted to play SoI a little after a big Civ4 pause and I find this thread xD
Yes with AtlantaMarty we didn't get very far, I worked on revamping the map (including Greece & Balkans, Lybia, Causasus, Caspian Sea, Chorasmia and Transoxiana), enlarging core and historic regions for different civs, dynamic city lists and French translation
Sadly I lost most of my work but I'm up for working on SoI again (I still remember some of my ideas so I can get them back to life)

EDIT : wrote down also some ideas for Balkans civs : Serbs, Bulgars and Venetians/Latins to spice up Byzantine games (since in SoIX extending Greece was just making Byzantines OP without counterpart)

EDIT 2 : all what I could recover were drafts for Byzantine city lists (the two txt and the calc in the zip) and map changes (tho i don't remember what each do)

Attachments

• Middle East and Greece 750 AD (1).CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    763.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Middle East and Greece 750 AD (2).CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    771.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Middle East and Greece 750 AD (3).CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    771.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Middle East and Greece 750 AD.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    731.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Middle East.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    732.7 KB · Views: 1
  • NewMM.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    677.1 KB · Views: 2
  • byzance.7z
    16.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
:lol:Must be very rare! It has not happened to me yet.

I guess you still had some ships left in Yemen, though would be a quite impossible game.

But what defence ships should I place? The Carrack (6:strength:) is already 50% stronger than Great Galley (4:strength:). Frigates (8:strength:) would be to strong 1500 AD.
IIRC only the Portuguese can build Carracks, maybe increase Carrack to 7:strength:
Also, I'm happy to help you with this mod if you would like. I have essentially no modding ability or experience, but I can try to learn as I go, if you are interested

@DrLoboto - what is the light blue civ that you added to the East of the Aral Sea?
Hey, sorry for the delay. That's the Oghuz Yabgu State up there, a few years before they inevitably piss off the Karakhanids or the Kypchaks move in.

It would be cool if a few of us could get to working on this together, or separately, or anything, really. I've been waiting to see where GregFred187 is at once he's less busy. My schedule is temporarily all over the place and my modding capacity is kinda mediocre, but I do have a lot of (often super subjective) changes/additions already made, as well as a bunch of ideas for others. Hopefully something can be made to work.

Hey, sorry for the delay. That's the Oghuz Yabgu State up there, a few years before they inevitably piss off the Karakhanids or the Kypchaks move in.

It would be cool if a few of us could get to working on this together, or separately, or anything, really. I've been waiting to see where GregFred187 is at once he's less busy. My schedule is temporarily all over the place and my modding capacity is kinda mediocre, but I do have a lot of (often super subjective) changes/additions already made, as well as a bunch of ideas for others. Hopefully something can be made to work.
I would like to try to combine the two maps, that is one of the few modding tasks that I think I could pull off successfully.

I would like to try to combine the two maps, that is one of the few modding tasks that I think I could pull off successfully.
Well, you can certainly give it a shot. I think this may be all the files you'll need. You need to either delete all of the FEATURE_TERRACE lines in the map file (custom food terrain feature I added to some hills) or keep them and add the corresponding info into CIV4FeatureInfos.xml and CIV4ArtDefines_Feature.xml. Also in the map file you need to delete the references to civilizations not found in Sword of Islam Reborn, as well as renumber the teams and plots (which I'm sure you know).

I've also attached maps.py and CIV4GameText_MEM_Regions (only set up properly for the English entries) in case you want to set up the python component. If you do, overrite the iNumRegions part of Consts.py with the following:
Spoiler Regions :

iNumRegions = 150
(rNoRegion, rBlackSea, rMediterraneanSea, rRedSea, rPersianGulf, rCaspianSea, rAralSea, rArabianSea, rThrace, rBulgaria,
rAsia, rBithynia, rLycia, rPontus, rGalatia, rPaphlagonia, rCilicia, rCappadocia, rLesserArmenia, rRhodes,
rCyprus, rLowerEgypt, rUpperEgypt, rSinai, rNobatia, rMakuria, rAlodia, rAksum, rMerebMellash, rYemen,
rOman, rBahrain, rMahra, rSuqutra, rHadhramaut, rHejaz, rArabia, rSahara, rKhuzestan, rMesopotamia,
rVaspurakan, rGreaterArmenia, rKars, rGeorgia, rShirvan, rAzerbaijan, rNorthernCaucasus, rPalestine, rJordan, rSyria,
rNorthernSyria, rTrebizond, rFars, rKerman, rHormuz, rLuristan, rKurdistan, rDashteKavir, rDashteLut, rYazd,
rHindukush, rWesternKhorasan, rKhwarezm, rSogd, rKyzylKum, rBactria, rSistan, rBalochistan, rSindh, rJazira,
rMakran, rGujarat, rFarghana, rPunjab, rGhazni, rGandhar, rKandahar, rEdessa, rMaharashtra, rKarnataka,
rMalwa, rRajputana, rUttarBharat, rGird, rDuggar, rHimalaya, rKaraKum, rJibal, rMazandaran, rPamir,
rTienShan, rTaklaMakan, rAsuristan, rGoa, rEasternKhorasan, rLakeVan, rLakeUrmia, rDeadSea, rLakeSevan,
rSeaOfGalilee, rNamakLake, rLakeTuz, rLakeEgirdir, rPushkarLake, rBadaTalaab, rLakeTharthar, rLakeRazazah,
rLakeHamun, rLakeMoeris, rSeaOfMarmara, rLebanon, rConstantinople, rEastb, rSouthk, rPonticSteppe, rCaspian, rEZhetysu,
rWZhetysu, rLakeBalkhash, rJejakabhukti, rGondwana, rTelangana, rAndhra, rCrimea, rAlania, rDag, rZichia, rIspidjab, rCaspianStep,
rOudh, rSiahkuh, rRuthenia, rMoldavia, rPodolia, rSeveria, rPorosia, rPolesia, rVolhynia, rCumania, rVoronozh, rScarlet, rAbkhazia,
rYaik, rMordovia, rBashkyrd, rMisrian, rBuja, rIssyk, rSarygam, rAlakol) = range(iNumRegions)

Bear in mind that my map (as well as all my other changes, really) will totally unbalance/change the mod for you/everyone. There are more resources, more city sites, more space for existing civs, etc. I've also made a bunch of changes to the core map. And, this was all meant to work with my other changes, which essentially add up to a modmod that I'm not entirely sure what I want to (publicly) do with yet. Good luck.

Oh and for some reason the uploader doesn't like .py files so I renamed Maps.py

Attachments

• Maps.py.xml
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • CIV4GameText_MEM_Regions.xml
    91.8 KB · Views: 5
  • CIV4FeatureInfos.xml
    28.8 KB · Views: 5
  • CIV4ArtDefines_Feature.xml
    26.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Middle East 750 CE.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    892.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Well, you can certainly give it a shot. I think this may be all the files you'll need. You need to either delete all of the FEATURE_TERRACE lines in the map file (custom food terrain feature I added to some hills) or keep them and add the corresponding info into CIV4FeatureInfos.xml and CIV4ArtDefines_Feature.xml. Also in the map file you need to delete the references to civilizations not found in Sword of Islam Reborn, as well as renumber the teams and plots (which I'm sure you know).

I've also attached maps.py and CIV4GameText_MEM_Regions (only set up properly for the English entries) in case you want to set up the python component. If you do, overrite the iNumRegions part of Consts.py with the following:
Spoiler Regions :

iNumRegions = 150
(rNoRegion, rBlackSea, rMediterraneanSea, rRedSea, rPersianGulf, rCaspianSea, rAralSea, rArabianSea, rThrace, rBulgaria,
rAsia, rBithynia, rLycia, rPontus, rGalatia, rPaphlagonia, rCilicia, rCappadocia, rLesserArmenia, rRhodes,
rCyprus, rLowerEgypt, rUpperEgypt, rSinai, rNobatia, rMakuria, rAlodia, rAksum, rMerebMellash, rYemen,
rOman, rBahrain, rMahra, rSuqutra, rHadhramaut, rHejaz, rArabia, rSahara, rKhuzestan, rMesopotamia,
rVaspurakan, rGreaterArmenia, rKars, rGeorgia, rShirvan, rAzerbaijan, rNorthernCaucasus, rPalestine, rJordan, rSyria,
rNorthernSyria, rTrebizond, rFars, rKerman, rHormuz, rLuristan, rKurdistan, rDashteKavir, rDashteLut, rYazd,
rHindukush, rWesternKhorasan, rKhwarezm, rSogd, rKyzylKum, rBactria, rSistan, rBalochistan, rSindh, rJazira,
rMakran, rGujarat, rFarghana, rPunjab, rGhazni, rGandhar, rKandahar, rEdessa, rMaharashtra, rKarnataka,
rMalwa, rRajputana, rUttarBharat, rGird, rDuggar, rHimalaya, rKaraKum, rJibal, rMazandaran, rPamir,
rTienShan, rTaklaMakan, rAsuristan, rGoa, rEasternKhorasan, rLakeVan, rLakeUrmia, rDeadSea, rLakeSevan,
rSeaOfGalilee, rNamakLake, rLakeTuz, rLakeEgirdir, rPushkarLake, rBadaTalaab, rLakeTharthar, rLakeRazazah,
rLakeHamun, rLakeMoeris, rSeaOfMarmara, rLebanon, rConstantinople, rEastb, rSouthk, rPonticSteppe, rCaspian, rEZhetysu,
rWZhetysu, rLakeBalkhash, rJejakabhukti, rGondwana, rTelangana, rAndhra, rCrimea, rAlania, rDag, rZichia, rIspidjab, rCaspianStep,
rOudh, rSiahkuh, rRuthenia, rMoldavia, rPodolia, rSeveria, rPorosia, rPolesia, rVolhynia, rCumania, rVoronozh, rScarlet, rAbkhazia,
rYaik, rMordovia, rBashkyrd, rMisrian, rBuja, rIssyk, rSarygam, rAlakol) = range(iNumRegions)

Bear in mind that my map (as well as all my other changes, really) will totally unbalance/change the mod for you/everyone. There are more resources, more city sites, more space for existing civs, etc. I've also made a bunch of changes to the core map. And, this was all meant to work with my other changes, which essentially add up to a modmod that I'm not entirely sure what I want to (publicly) do with yet. Good luck.

Oh and for some reason the uploader doesn't like .py files so I renamed Maps.py
Thanks! I hope that even if you don't release your version publicly, that I could try it. I wouldn't leak it, I'm a man of my word :)

The one suggestion I do have for your map is to add some ocean to Eastern India, as far as I can tell, given where the new eastern edge of your map is, there should be some of India's east coast and not just land there

Do you have the CityNameManager for your bigger map?

Thank you DrLoboto for sharing your map!

@HNation I would be grateful if you could combine the two maps.

I will now start XML mod the balkan civs.

@DrLoboto, I (and I think many others too) would appreciate it if we could combine our two mods. You have several great civs added to the north and a very historical detailed map.
You already uploaded the map. But to make this complete you may upload your whole mod. We already have support from HNation who seems to make the map. I think I won't have that much time (also interest) in the very north-east, but that would be covered to completion by your expansion. I will now focus on the balkan civs, but if you would share your work, I also would be ready to make our mods compatible.

I also read some times about "GregFreds mod". I would not say that this is my mod. It was embryodeads mod, then AtlantaMartys. Meanwhile there have many people worked on this before I started.
Anybody who has something to contribute is welcome!

Maybe making a GitHub project could make working together easier ?

Thanks! I hope that even if you don't release your version publicly, that I could try it. I wouldn't leak it, I'm a man of my word :)

The one suggestion I do have for your map is to add some ocean to Eastern India, as far as I can tell, given where the new eastern edge of your map is, there should be some of India's east coast and not just land there

Do you have the CityNameManager for your bigger map?
Gotcha right here. It's mostly the same as vanilla in the non-expanded parts of the map, but I redid Makuria's to feature cities mentioned in the texts of medieval travelers as well as archaeology. I can't blame embryodead for the anachronisms - this stuff was not easy to learn about, and so much of it is still speculation, and we're probably not getting much more to work with given the current situation in Sudan.

I'll address some of the other stuff when I log back on in a few hours.

Attachments

• CityNameManager.py.xml
    129.3 KB · Views: 6
I'm also considering creating a new name dictionary for the cities in the southern Rus principalities during the late game, once I can figure out what the heck the language situation was like there circa 500 yrs ago (Ukrainian? Polish? Lithuanian????)

I tihnk we could use Simeon from RFC Europe for at least 1st Bulgarian Empire, maybe add a second LH starting from ~1200 (2nd Bulgaria Empire) but idk which one could fit the best
For Serbia Stefan Nemanjic would be cool, and looking at his Wikipedia's portrait, Michael the Brave would be the most similar I think ?

And here are the changes I suggested when working on AtlantaMarty's project (since I focused only on Byzantium and its neighbors), i adjusted some rivers, islands and coasts (and city placements if needed) but did not pay much attention on hills, mountains, terrain type, vegetation and resources (except for Melitene placement), I think there are still things to improve !

Attachments

• greece balkan provinces.png
    greece balkan provinces.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 29
  • greece balkan spawns.png
    greece balkan spawns.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
  • greece balkan.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    835.7 KB · Views: 3
I tihnk we could use Simeon from RFC Europe for at least 1st Bulgarian Empire, maybe add a second LH starting from ~1200 (2nd Bulgaria Empire) but idk which one could fit the best
For Serbia Stefan Nemanjic would be cool, and looking at his Wikipedia's portrait, Michael the Brave would be the most similar I think ?

And here are the changes I suggested when working on AtlantaMarty's project (since I focused only on Byzantium and its neighbors), i adjusted some rivers, islands and coasts (and city placements if needed) but did not pay much attention on hills, mountains, terrain type, vegetation and resources (except for Melitene placement), I think there are still things to improve !
Merging the maps means there will be a lot more room in the Balkans. Budapest will probably even fit in, using the Western border of GregFred's map and the Northern border of DrLoboto's.

I also plan to shift Greece 1S, because Smyrna and Athens are not supposed to be on the same latitude. I'm also going to add in more islands in the Aegean.

I would recommend keeping embryodead's original provinces for Asia Minor. I would also recommend removing the two cities AtlantaMarty added (Halicarnassus and Sampsounta). I prefer to build Tralleis than place Halicarnassus, and preplacing Sampsounta takes away the choice from the player of whether to build it next to the river for the health boost or a tile away to reduce BFC overlap.

@GregFred187 - I would also recommend removing the extra corporations AtlantaMarty added, they just make things unbalanced and don't really add anything to the game.

SOI only has one leaderhead per civ

Top Bottom