Mohammed overtakes George in list of most popular names

EdwardTking

Deity
Mohammed overtakes George in list of most popular names

for 2006 in England and Wales

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/12/21/nnames21.xml

Mohammed, and its most common alternative spelling Muhammad, are now more popular babies' names in England and Wales than George, reflecting the diverse ethnic mix of the population.

The Office for National Statistics said there were 2,833 baby boys called Mohammed in 2006.

The name is 22nd in the list of most popular boys' names, moving up a place from last year.

Spelled Muhammad, it is the 44th most popular name and enters the top 50 for the first time along with Noah, Oscar, Lucas and Rhys.

There were 2,833 babies called Mohammed born in 2006 and 1,422 called Muhammad. The total exceeds the number of Georges (3,386) or Josephs (3,755).

Anthony (long for Tony) was 94th in 2002,
98th in 2003, relegated from the top 100.

It's still not in the top ten of boy's names. I mean George? Who calls a baby George anymore anyway?

Katheryn was right, oh no!!!;) :lol:

George is more of a 1940s "lashings and lashings of ginger beer" type name.

When every other muslim gives his/her son the same name, you'd expect Muhammed to be up there.

My great-great-great grandpa's name was Isiah. Don't see that much anymore. Or Ezekiel for that matter, which is really a pity since those Old Testament names are quite cool.

Ok... there are plenty of "Christian" names in the top 50 to. And Mohammed is only the 44th most popular name. This isn't a news story.

I agree this isn't a news story. But you're not quite correct, and there are at least 3 different ways of spelling the name.

MOHAMMED is 22nd
MUHAMMAD is 44th
MOHAMMAD is 69th

My great-great-great grandpa's name was Isiah. Don't see that much anymore. Or Ezekiel for that matter, which is really a pity since those Old Testament names are quite cool.

Plenty of those over here, come by for a visit. :)

Meh, if jesus whould become half as prolific with christians as mohammed is with muslims it would reach 1st within a couple of years.

I agree this isn't a news story. But you're not quite correct, and there are at least 3 different ways of spelling the name.

MOHAMMED is 22nd
MUHAMMAD is 44th
MOHAMMAD is 69th

i prefer Mehmet myself. the chinese have Ma for Muhammad.

MOHAMMED is 22nd
MUHAMMAD is 44th
MOHAMMAD is 69th

You can pretty much spell it as you wish. There's no official translation system between the arabic alphabet and the roman alphabet, so it's completely open to interpretation. Chinese for example has the pinyin translation system to translate their stuff, but arabic has nothing of the sort.

Alawishious still didn't make the top 100 :(

The evil muslims and their invasion of Europe and subversion of European culture takes another step forward.

Top Bottom