Monarch Student^ VIII - Bismarck

As a deity player, I've learned to live with very little scouting, maybe like 5 tiles each direction. However, I also try to think which way should I be scouting. Rivers are very important, not only for the extra :commerce: but for connection. Thus, I would've checked the river location before settling 2nd city.

I also would definitely settle cap 1S for extra :hammers: and settle the fish-city so that :food: is on 1st ring.

Capital should have been 1S.
The copper/fish city should have had either copper or fish in first ring, rather than to share clams.
Munich should have had food in first ring. Even with lack of knowledge about the second wheat it was wrong to settle there with food in second ring.
(Check my fredrich game for a rare situation where not settling with food in first ring is ok.)
Almost everything with Munich is wrong. Even the grassland farm is wrong. If the purpose by settling there was to help capital with cottages, that tile should have been cottaged instead.

A good spot that isn't settled is SE of northern cows, that can share the corn.

I also would definitely settle cap 1S for extra :hammers: and settle the fish-city so that :food: is on 1st ring.

I did think a lot about this, (the cap settle 1S), but I was thinking I might need those forests to the north to chop out wonders (I'm thinking right now of switching the settler in cap to mids, and chop it out, I think I still have time with Stone + Ind.

With the 2nd city, if I had not decided to go for SH, I would have gone 1S to get early fish, but my thinking was, I could put 2nd City on Clam, while Cap was on Irrigated corn + stone (I mined the stone early before I quarried it when I got Masonry), and once I had SH, the 2nd city would be able to use clams + copper, while I worked on a 2nd WB, and waited for the culture pop from the SH generated Monument.

So thinking on the 2nd city spot was predicated on building Stonehenge this game (something I've not done before tbh)

Oh yes Munich is all wrong... this I pretty much realised the turn after I built it. The grassland farm is a direct result of this, as it will be switched to cottage, once the border pops and I can farm wheat...

I did have a long ponder to reload the game pretty much the turn after I settled the city, but if I keep doing that I'll never learn from my mistakes (if I'd been on Emperor I would have reloaded)

Last edited:
I also was expecting this feedback on that city :).... please keep pointing out my mishaps :).... this is how we learn.....

For sure!
And I'm not at all suprised that all the decisions you make, that I (or others) see as mistakes, did in fact have clear and thought out reasoning behind them.
And alot of times, the reasoning behind a decision can be sound, but the decision is still bad.

I did play quickly to T50.

Spoiler :
It's monarch so I see GW is of very low value (it's valuable only on deity IMO). Mids is great though, especially on lower levels as there is no risk of losing it. Expand quickly to 5 cities, starting from the strongest ones, then work cottages. It's a pretty fast start thanks to plains hill cc, forests and two powerful tiles in capital. Very strong 2nd city also with double wheat. Note that with zero built roads every city still has +1:commerce: trade route since cities 2 and 4 are connected to each other via river.

I just realized how disrespectful my play has been so far concerning barbs, so probably an issue I need to address next, which probably means going archery as copper is uncomfortably located.

Civ4ScreenShot0319.JPG

Oh some additional thoughts that spring into mind: starting with a scout allows you to scout a bit more. After the animals are gone it's impossible to get killed unless you move it in a risky way. Just move one tile and skip, don't move into hills/forest.

In your T60 screenshot you are going for AH. AH is one tech that you should try to skip when possible (when you don't have AH-:food: in immediate vicinity) in favor of something more urgent.

On AH, was 50/50 on going for AH or for Writing. Thinking on AH was more for exposing horses, and also it would boost writing, but don't have immediate need for it. Can always switch into writing first

Yeh, not a big deal I think. Revealing horses is not really a big thing though, you do nothing with the unlocked units for a long time and the tile itself is of little impact.

Had a long play session to turn 217 (1535AD)

Spoiler Update :

So we have lots of land to explore, so I decided to rex to about 10 cities, then aim for a Cuirs / Cav rush on my continent, and then use Cannons on the 2nd Continent... Pretty much standard play, went for music, then won lib, build loads of Cuirs, used the 3 GM's I got to a) upgrade HA's to Cuirs, b) keep me teching to Rifling, and c) upgrade cuirs to Cavs.

have capped Hammy, close to capping Sally, then will hit Toku. Am building lots of Trebs for upgrade to cannons, then will tech Astro, and hit the the other continent. They are well behind apart from Hanni, but he still has a ways yet to get to Rifling, and I probably will have Infantry / Artillery by the time I get to him

So far, we going ok even with the awful cities I had to start the game with

https://i.imgur.com/nPsaS0j.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/oC51Afb.jpg[/img]']
https://i.imgur.com/5EkYQ5c.jpg[/img]']

Turn 252

Spoiler Update :

Have capped Sally and Toku, so have now control of the continent, so am now building ships to take my army to Hanni, as he is main threat now, and he has Rifles.. However I have Infantry and Cannons, so I should be ok once I get over there and hit him hard.

Still a bit to go yet, as I don't have enough ships, but its hopefully a matter of time now

https://i.imgur.com/SQnBxBn.jpg[/img]']
https://i.imgur.com/LenYqJB.jpg[/img]']
https://i.imgur.com/zDkG2sJ.jpg[/img]']
https://i.imgur.com/MvIkUKc.jpg[/img]']

Having a go at this after a longish gap.
Spoiler :
Wonderland. (well GW and Pyramids), up to 950bc, only four cities so pretty slow. On the subject of two wheat city I settled mine SE of the wheat instead of plains hill because I looked at all the riverside tiles and thought cottage spam bureaucratic capital.

Attachments

• Monarch Bismarck temp.CivBeyondSwordSave
    112.2 KB · Views: 70
Yea I will finish this game (took a break from computer games in last week), but will be finishing this + the emperor shadow game I have going. I am a little further on than my last post, but will put full update once I get back on the computer

Spoiler Spoiler :

I've capped Hanni, and in process of taking Egypt who has split away from Sury.. Egypt has Infantry, but I've taken Thebes so him having Infantry should not cause major problems..

Will post screen shots + turn I am on (can't remember but think its around turn 280), when I next load the game, not been on civ over a week, wanted to get out and about a bit

Last edited:
Played on for a bit, up to 1490ad.
Spoiler :
More sex than rex but got up to twelve cities, got MoM (an excellent wonder than never becomes obsolete and scales with empire size) and Colossus. First to theology so I built AP and UoS and spammed Jewish monasteries and temples. Annihilated Hammy with trebs in 1340 (he'd built Glib and Glight in Babylon).. Sally has a slight power lead but we're friendly co-religionists.
Got circumnav and met the other continent, Hannibal is the least primitive tech wise. I've got steel and miltrad so upgraded trebs to cannon and maces to grens. Four turns away from Lib>Communism. I've been avoiding astronomy because of Colossus.
Now up to seventeen cities and time for decisions. Maybe I should go for astronomy, settle some islands, trade with Hanny and Rammy and hope for resources. Toku remains isolated and no friend of Sally so maybe have a go at crushing and capping him..

Attachments

• Monarch Bismarck temp.CivBeyondSwordSave
    304.5 KB · Views: 68
It was turn 280 I was on :)

So will continue this very soon
Spoiler Update :

• Capped Hanni
  • Have taken Thebes and Giza of Ram, about to take Elphantine. Hopefully he will cap then
  • Am teching combustion, as Ram will get it in 4 tuns, so if he is not capped I'll need defence for my ship
  • Once Egypt is done its just Sury left, and he is behind
Egypt war

Hammy after I capped him

Hi All

Back after a long break, and decided to finish this before restarting some new games + the emperor game I had going.... Won in turn 290

Spoiler Final situation :

So after my last post, I capped Ram in Turn 282 (1824), then declared on Sury, who was well behind in tech.... His Cannons / rifles could not compete with my Infantry \ Artillery, so he capitulated in 1842 (Turn 290)

Screenshots of final placing

I did enjoy finishing off this, now to start a new game afresh

Top Bottom