1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Monthly Competitions Submissions Thread IV

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Balthasar, Oct 6, 2012.

1. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

2. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Due to the site migration, I'm leaving submissions open for September open for the next five days (until the 7th). Units or pcx's posted to the download database after Sept 30 will be entered into next month's contest, as usual.

ALSO: posted a rules change, allowing artists to sign up for automatic submission of up to three units per month. See Rule #8 in the first post (OP) of this thread.

3. Delta_Strife

Delta_Strife Chieftain

4. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

5. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

6. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Chieftain

Kyriakos and Gojira54 like this.
  7. Balam-Agab

Balam-Agab God King

Kyriakos and Gojira54 like this.
  8. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

Kyriakos likes this.
  9. ShiroKobbure

ShiroKobbure Still modding Civ3

10. Delta_Strife

Delta_Strife Chieftain

Kyriakos and chickenx4 like this.
  11. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Kyriakos likes this.
  12. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Artist: Blue Monkey
    Name of file: Playground Mod Title Screen
    Thread: download page. preview of the set of which it is part in the Playground Mod thread.

Additional Credits: This is not an "official" part of the Playground mod - simply something offered in support of their efforts. NB: it contains fan art which falls within the fair use exceptions - no copyright infringement is intended. Both the download page and the download zip file contain acknowledgement of Bill Watterson to whose work it is an homage.

This preview is a jpeg. The download file is a pcx indexed for use in-game.

13. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

14. Kyriakos

Nearly 3 months later, no contest update. Are you still alive, @Balthasar? :D

15. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

I'm alive, but I'm afraid the contest is on life support. To give you an example of just how bad the patient is, here is everything that has been added to the Civ III database this year. The units and pcxs submitted to the contest are framed in red:

You can readily see the problem.

There were plenty enough pcxs and units made to have had many exciting contests this year,
    but despite the fact that the Monthly Competitions Submissions thread is at the very top of the 'stickied' threads list,
    and despite a very very very liberal submissions policy, it seems that there's little appetite for most of our creators to submit their work to the Contests.

I have tried emailing pcx and unit creators to submit their work. I have run contests. I have browbeaten unit makers into making submissions.
    All to no avail. I have tried not to take it personally.

There's good news: I now have permission and assistance to create a 'Front page' submission. That's what these images were created for.
    I hope to be able to start putting that together soon.

Glad you're still interested. Any ideas?

Kyriakos and Nathiri like this.
  16. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

I personally didn't submit the stuff I made (Sim City 2000 conversions, Playground Mod 3.0, and recolored units) because no other buildings or mods were submitted and I don't believe in winning by default, and the units were only lightly touched up so I didn't feel like I can take ownership of the new unit.

I guess if rather than a monthly contest, it was changed to yearly or quarterly, I would feel better about submitting it, but that's my stance on it.

17. Kyriakos

Maybe you could submit them, and maybe we can just not have contests for months when there is just one entry, but still use those entries in the yearly? :D

18. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

That's sorta where this was going. Y'know, they give me, I think, a limit of 25 entries for any given poll. At the rate that units and pcx's are being created around here, I could run contests consisting of every new download from the previous month for each category, holding the rare single unit or pcx for the next month. It would be fair, and not require submissions (uploading it to the database would be the 'submission'). Whaddya think about that?

Kyriakos likes this.
  19. Kyriakos

I think it would be nice, mostly because otherwise the contest seems to not be functional at all. Besides, it's not like anyone loses anything. You could typically pm the creators with a message, telling them they will be participating, etc.