1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MOO2Civ

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Agent327, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

As there is only one question being posed, I'll answer that: if it says Full Version, it's a complete mod. As to your other remark, if I'd known there'd be so many bug/error reports with latest patches 4k and 4l, I might have thought twice before uploading. But the fact is that I usually playtest a patch thoroughly before uploading and none of the mentioned bugs/errors showed up then. Given the fact that patch 4k has 1,800+ total downloads and patch 4l even 3,100+ total downloads now (plus a number of the reported bugs/errors appear to be installation problems), I reckon the overall performance isn't that bad though.
    ---

And ofcourse:

:xmassign::snowlaugh::santa2:

2. Webrider

Webrider Chieftain

Doesn't sound that bad, I can't get the mod to play. The mods I can get to play are FFH2, fall further 51, Rise from Erbus 1.2, Rise of Mankind 2 version .71 for multiplayer and .81 single player.
    The install for this mod seems pretty straight forward. It is just confusing when it doesn't work and you use the word patch and full version for the same file. They seem mutually exclusive. A patch implys a fix, Version L would be more consistant with the English language usage of the word patch and full version. Thanks for the clairfication, I guess I need to figue out whats up with my version L.

3. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Ah, yes... I guess the name sort of stuck since the first patch. Didn't know you were reporting a problem as you didn't mention that in your previous post. If everything is installed properly, there still may be a bug/error. As said, there have been reported several, which, apart from installation problems, I've not been able to sort out, simply because I couldn't replicate them on my end. That's rather frustrating for both parties...

4. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

5. Asthix

Asthix Prognosticator

Sadly I too am having install problems. I decided to download patch k and the installer went fine,

the mod loaded, but after clicking launch on a custom game, immediate MAF. I tried again and

got to the loading screen before MAF, so I got rid of k, downloaded patch L and it installed to a

civ4 folder instead of 'civ4 BTS'. I moved the mod folder to the right place, the mod started up

again fine, I got halfway through the loading screen and I thought it might... but no. MAF again.

Are there settings which I need on or should not have on?

6. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

The auto-installer for patches 4k and 4l auto-installs to "Civ4\BtS\Mods"; that should be "Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods". (I've tried to correct this several times, but the faulty install path keeps reappearing...) Apart from this several posters have reported issues even when the mod is correctly installed. I've just been able to reinstall Civ4/Warlords/BtS and I'll look into it ASAP.

7. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

I've started on rebuilding a stable version based on MOO2Civ patch 4i and hope to get a working version up by the end of this week.

8. fulano

fulano Chieftain

So I took your advice and downloaded version 4k and played it an hour and it worked perfectly. I like the mod! It's not in depth enough to capture my attention for years like MOO 2 did but I will for sure keep the mod and play it.

I just have one suggestion so far.

Spoiler :

One reason I think Masters of Orion II was so interesting for me was because the game was so different each time you played it. I think this was caused by the fact that you could only get one technology out of each new technology group. Your strategy would have to tailor to whatever techs you could manage to collect. This also made spying and stealing techs much more worth it than in Civ4

The only way I could think of doing this in Civ4 is to make the tech tree match the MOO tech tree more closely. Each specific upgrade would have it's own tech slot and technologies would become available by researching any previous tech in it's group.

This way a person could research one thing in each group if they wanted like in MOO 2. They could research everything in each group but it would take a long enough that it would not be worth it. While somebody is researching missile bases and automated factories I could be on my way to weapons and bombs that would pound a missile base to dust.

There are two problems with this that I saw though. First I doubt the AI would be smart enough to skip unneeded technologies and the AI seems willing to trade anything so it might not make a difference if the AI gives every new tech it gets away, second the project would be a lot of work and hard to balance.

Just wanted to throw the idea out just in case it was a good one. :)

9. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Well, that's some good news at least.

As for your tech tree idea: it would require a major redo (of the current tech tree), which I'm not up for right now, as my first priority is to get a stable version up. (Which you might guess from the lack of upload isn't done yet...) The idea itself is very good, but I currently don't have the time to implement it moddingwise. Apart from bugs there's still quite a lot on the TO DO list that I haven't gotten around to doing. That said, I'm hoping to include something new with the next full version.

10. fulano

fulano Chieftain

I just finished my second game of version 4k and I like the mod very much. :) I really like how the custom ships and starbases handled, and that you can build on each planet of a star. Well done! :cool:

It does seem to have some balance issues but I'm sure you are aware of them. I did list a few problems I ran into at the end of this post.

Thanks for your great work on this!

Spoiler :
    Increase the Astral Gate cost so it takes 20 or 30 turns to finish. It took me one turn to build an astral gate piece my first game. My second game the Psilons built the gate when the rest of the galaxy was barely half way through the tech tree. I was playing on epic speed.

My starbases didn't build missiles as they should. I think only one of them actually built missiles, the others didn't.

The mechanized workforce policy description says it gives -1 unhappiness instead of +1.

11. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Can't really take credit for that as that's how it works in Jon Shafer's Final Frontier.

I've noticed this when playing the original Final Frontier mod. I wouldn't recommend using Astral Gates at all, as they're not in MOO. (So basically they won't be modified; I never use Ascendancy Victory option myself, just the first 3 Victory conditions - in accordance with my own recommendations on the Downlod Page. Since I don't want to force people to play like that, the other 3 Victory conditions are still in.)

That's... weird. It shouldn't happen. (Never had this reported before. Are you absolutely sure?)

Thanks; I don't think anyone noticed this before. I'll add it to my TO DO list. :thumbsup:

12. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

I've uploaded the current MOO2Civ 5.0 Beta here:

http://www.2shared.com/file/10404069...v_50_Beta.html

(To download use the "Save file to your PC click here" button at the bottom right.)

Please note that this is a bare bones version; it does not have any new content (in fact TC01's mapscripts are currently not included, nor is the custom music - both of which will be re-added later). I'm uploading it anyway, as it is stable - as far as I can tell - for those who've been reporting isues with the last 2 or 3 patches and for feedback purposes mainly. So if anyone is still experiencing bugs/errors please report them.

If no errors/bugs are beig reported I'll be using this version for future updates/patches (and place it in the Downloads section officially).

NOTE: The file itself is called MOO2Civ 5.0 period (as is the ini. file), so trying to start "MOO2Civ 5.0 Beta" will not work. Save as "MOO2Civ 5.0", install in the ...\BtS\Mods folder and you should be fine.

More news later.

13. Asthix

Asthix Prognosticator

It works! Thanx JEELEN.:goodjob:

Btw, I forgot to remove the 'beta' from the end of the filename. (well, I removed it B4 specifying the pathway and I guess it popped back up)

Anyway it still works fine despite being called 'MOO2civ 5.0 beta'
    Also, there is a typo in the first turn message.

Spoiler :
    ...were imprisoned in a 'OPocket Dimensi'ONa the size of...

14. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Thanks, Asthix. Wow, that typo must have been sitting there for ages... :shake:

15. gmcgd1

gmcgd1 Chieftain

I can't get this Mod to work.

I'm on 3.19 of BTS Have installed the full MOO2civ_patch-4k ie one at the top of the download thread.

It fires up fine I can select various options then starts to initialize and stalls part way through.

Not the only mod that does this some of the std FFH scenarios do the same.

Many thanks

16. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Welcome, gmcgd1 - sorry for yor troubles. Unfortunately you're not the only one reporting such troubles... If you've already tried either patch 4k and/or 4l, you might check out post #912 below for MOO2Civ 5.0 Beta, which (I hope) is a stable version.

17. Asthix

Asthix Prognosticator

a few things I'm getting that may only be because its a barebones version:

Am getting more crashes upon reload than I would like, still sporadic though'

All terrain has vanilla civ tags. (coast, floodplains, tribal village instead of space wreckage)

18. gmcgd1

gmcgd1 Chieftain

Thanks Jeelen

I'll try that final frontier was my fav vanilla BTS so here's hoping

19. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Crashes... not good news... :sad: Yes, I noticed the tags myself, but I was more interested to know if 5.0 was as stable as I thought it was, hence the Beta upload...

Similarly, I've been trying an MP game yesterday for which I had my hopes up, but after 20 turns we were getting like an OOS per turn (on IP connection.) Neither of us experienced any crashes though, playing on a Large FF Flatmap.

BTW, there's a specific MOO2Civ Bugs/Errors report thread here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=321316

Which reminds me: please be specific on what map (and size) bugs/errors appear and describe them as detailed as you can. (Ideally: just attach a savegame from right before a crash - if that's what happened - so I can run a check.)

20. Asthix

Asthix Prognosticator

after thinking about it, most of the crashes I've had have been while loading a game (in-game only rarely and not limited to this mod) and could very well be due to the fact that my desktop is 2000 years old and has this virus that makes you think its gone, but then its really not, but then oh, hey! Its me again! and so... yeah you get the idea.

Wow. After reading that I know I need a new box.

Edit: Happened twice now, no stars or planets visible on loading a game.