More GPs Module

Just to make sure I'm being 100% clear, I only got it to work when I changed the picture size to 480x600; saving with BC2/DXT3 but leaving the size at 481x600 did not work.

Artwork that isn't divisible by 4 on 1 or more sides looks like this to me:
Spoiler example :
upload_2021-1-11_10-52-38.png

I suspect that if 1 pixel was shaved off both sides of the image (968x720) it would work
I can't open it up in GIMP to crop the image; the layer doesn't appear when I try

I'm 100% sure that i've seen this pic (I like it) I've not so much time to work on it right now.
This graphic bug will be fixed next release. For sure. I'll use the conventional way I use to make WW splash pic.

I suspect also that EraType causes this moreGP doing almost nothing! Vanilla Civ ignore EraType or something.

Re A__110 - it looks just like the image posted above when viewed in WTV and is transparent for me in-game, so I believe that making the sizes multiples of 4 will fix both problems :)

It looks fine and I can manipulate it in GIMP (I'm running a fairly recent version 2.10.20)

Regarding era, the choice of great person runs in up to three passes. In the first pass it will accept any person from the current or an earlier era, so in a standard game, it will tend to pick the earlier era ones much of the time. And yes, looking at the code, I think in vanilla it is a completely random choice. As I said before, I tweaked my game so that in the first pass it picks from the current or later eras for GWAM and for exactly the current era for other types - just so I can see the new stuff!

However, for people playing with lots of civs, MoreGP should be fulfilling its primary objective of meaning the great works don't run out.

Actually, moreGP v. 2 does not work well as expected !
Hinin and me are still testing in real game. It seems that 'no name' GPs come up even if new GPs are available. Not always. It's not very clear.

I may have stumbled on the reason. I found Gregor Mendel is in both vanilla and MoreGP. Since the game uses the names to determine if a GP is available, once one of them has been born the game will think they both have.

Looking now I also see two Alan Turing and two Dmitry Mendeleev (vanilla spelling) but the spelling is different on that one.

Perhaps there are more duplicates. I think it could also include cases where the same name is used for two kinds of GP e.g. Scientist and Engineer as there is only one list of names of born GPs.

BTW, will there be more Great Diplomats in V2? They seem to run out in a standard game. Also, the audio for great works of writing works fine for me but is a bit quiet compared to the vanilla ones.

Looking now I also see two Alan Turing and two Dmitry Mendeleev (vanilla spelling) but the spelling is different on that one.
I had a doubt about Turing. Thx

BTW, will there be more Great Diplomats in V2?
Current version is V2.
Great Diplomats? Why not.

But to be honest, MoreGP doesn't work (at all)
In my last test game, I was the first in ERA_FUTURE with not any GW and GA available! :wallbash:
I'm testing a sql without EraType.
I'm also wondering if there is a number max limit of GPs in the dbase. Does someone is able to investigate about that?

Before MoreGP, I made for my personnal use, a small mod with only ~20 GAs (The most boring when missing IMO). Without EraType. The new GAs was coming up after the last vanilla available. All was fine.

Perhaps it would be helpful if I explain the mechanism that chooses which great person to use.

There are up to three phases. In each phase, it builds a list of eligible GPs and then picks at random from that list.

In phase one, GPs from the player's current era or any earlier era are eligible.

In phase two, GPs from the next era after the player's current era are eligible.

In phase three, any remaining GPs are eligible. This would include those with no set era and from even later eras.

For GWAM, all great people have an era set and all three phases potentially apply. For Great Diplomats, none have an era set, so phase 3 random picks always applies. For the other types, there is a mix or no era and set era, the latter being the ones added by MoreGP. For those types, all the new GPs added by MoreGP will get picked first, with the original GPs only getting picked if there are none left of the relevant eras.

So the behavior you are seeing makes sense to me. When you reached ERA_FUTURE, all the GW and GA had already been picked, either in the previous era with a phase 2 pick or as a random phase 3 pick in an earlier era when all the preferred ones had already been picked.

The behavior of your personal mod also makes sense; Artists would now be picked like the others kind with a mix of set era and no era, so the no era ones would tend to get picked last.

Note that the era assigned to a great work depends on the era when it is created, not the era set in the sql. Are you sure you didn't see any future-era works in earlier eras?

I think the reason you didn't see any once you reached ERA_FUTURE is simply because they had all been used already. How many civs were in the game? There are now 105 great works of writing so they could still easily run out if you have a lot of civs.

We need EvenMoreGP!

I made a spreadsheet (csv) of all the great people that the game can see - this was made by adding logging to the game - and it looks like all from MoreGP are present to me. If you sort the list alphabetically you can see there are maybe 10-15 duplicates, sometimes with different spellings. It should also be a useful reference when choosing names for v3.

I've also been logging the process by which names are chosen and it seems to be operating perfectly so far.

Personally, my main interest in this module is to add diversity and variety to great people, especially GWAM. In my games (8 or 10 civs) I don't run out of great works. I have run out of other kinds of GP before but, hopefully, the extra names added in v2 will eliminate that (except for diplomats of course).

I think the only way to really solve the problem for games with lots of civs, where the generic GWAM can't create a great work, is to introduce generic great works. This would require a dll change and my impression is that the developers are reluctant to do the necessary work.

Failing that, I think a massive number of extra GWAMs will be needed. One possibility would be to add many autogenerated great people and great works, all referencing the same data file. So, for example, "Great Artist 1" creates "Painting 1" and so on, but all access the same art file "Great Painting.dds". This could, perhaps, be a separate mod "GenericGW", so only people who experience problems would need to load it.

Attachments

• GreatPeople.zip
    16.6 KB · Views: 40
Perhaps it would be helpful if I explain the mechanism that chooses which great person to use.
Yes, very very helpful.

I made a spreadsheet (csv) of all the great people that the game can see - this was made by adding logging to the game
How do you do that? I don't have those "great people that the game can see" in my log files.

Many thanks

How do you do that? I don't have those "great people that the game can see" in my log files.

Total hack. Added some code to create the log file and log each name considered when a GP is born, rebuilt the dll (my old version), then created one GP of each type using IGE to trigger the logging. I've kept the code around as comments in case it's useful again one day.

Of course, you can see all the database entries using SQLiteSpy, but it's not easy to see duplicates or the names already used when adding new ones.

I've kept the code around as comments in case it's useful again one day.
It will. Before the v.3 release, I'll send you the modul and you'll send me the log. OK with that?

I'm on this v.3 currently. It's a big work (DDS Re-encoding, All quotes re-balance and a lot more GPs of all kinds)
If someone want and can make a list of Great Diplomates, it will help a lot... :hug: (Must be really great and multinational. Focus on industrial, modern and post-modern era) >> Format: Diplomate names . Date of birth

I was just going through @psparky's list, and I am shocked. No Lester B Pearson as a great diplomat? I was looking for his name so I could delete him if the Canada mod was loaded, but I didn't have to.

Saves me some work, but what a snub!

ideas for more great diplomats:
Johann Rudolf Wettstein (Swiss Mayor of Basel who showed up to the Wesphalian peace negotiations uninvited and unaccredited, and successfully negotiate Switzerland's independence at the conference)
Pope Leo I (The pope that met with Attila and negotiated for him to stop his invasion of Italy)
Ibrahim Pasha (Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire under Suleiman the Magnificent. Negotiated an alliance between the Ottomans and France against Spain, and negotiated for Hungary to become a vassal of the Ottomans without a war)
Jose Maria da Silva Paranhos (Diplomat for Brazil to Germany, Foreign Affairs Minister for both the empire and nation of Brazil. Negotiated the modern borders of Brazil with Paraguay, French Guiana, Argentina, and Bolivia. It can be argued that his successful diplomacy gave Brazil complete control of the entire Amazonian basin, and he gained entire provinces of land for Brazil in exchange for relatively minor concessions)
Moshoeshoe I (founder of Lesotho. Through tactics, intelligence, negotiation and persuasion, he forged alliances with many smaller African and refugees from the destabilization caused by the growth of the expanding Zulu empire. He created the kingdom of Lesotho, resisting the expansion of Afrikaaners, and his kingdom survives to this day. The prototypical pan-Africanist)
Jigonhsasee (Along with Hiawatha and the Great Peacemaker, created the Great Law of Peace which brought together the 5 nations to form the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois))
Kamehameha III (modernized the constitution and, through diplomatic means, ensured the survival of the kingdom of Hawai'i from various imperial interests)
Kosa Pan (The second Envoy sent from Siam to France. Established the Siamese embassy in France, had audiences with the Pope and Louis XIV. solidified French-Siamese alliance)

Last edited:
ideas for more great diplomats
That's a good and quick start. Thx

:goodjob: @All VPfanatics :
Tell me what GPs you want to see in VP (Artists, Musicians, Generals, Admirals, Merchants, Engineers, Scientists and mostly Diplomates)

Format: GP type . GP name . Date of birth

Must be really great and multinational. Focus on industrial (1840+), modern and post-modern era please.

Fritigern for GGeneral. Defeated the Romans at the battle of adrianople in 378. Wiped the Romans out, killed emperor Valens, made the Goths the de facto power in the balkans for the next 30 years

Fritigern for GGeneral. Defeated the Romans at the battle of adrianople in 378. Wiped the Romans out, killed emperor Valens, made the Goths the de facto power in the balkans for the next 30 years
He's Great! Date of birth?

EDIT:
ERA_CLASSICAL

Last edited:
unknown. He was a chieftain of the Thervingi Goths leading a refugee group fleeing the Hunnic invasions in 376, so I would guess he was in his early-mid 30s. so c. 340?

For practical purposes, I made lists of all the GP added by the module. Of course, that's spoiler territory for those who want to discover them, but it's better to have this in order to not propose a GP that is already added.

Spoiler Great Musicians :

• Manuel De Sumaya
  • Agbani Nguru Ikorodo Group
  • Hammamizade Ismail Dede Efendi
  • Robert Herrick
  • Gaetano Donizetti
  • George Linley
  • Stephen Foster
  • William Vincent Wallace
  • Gabriel Faure
  • Josephine Baker
  • Mohamed El Qasabgi
  • Carl Orff
  • Django Reinhardt
  • Mahmoud Zolfonoun
  • Edith Piaf
  • Luis Alberti
  • Glenn Miller
  • Thelonious Monk
  • Ajim Krajka
  • Ray Barretto
  • The Beattles
  • Dr. M. Balamuralikrishna
  • Janis Joplin
  • David Bowie
  • The Temprtations
  • Fela Anikylapo Kuti
  • Franco Du Congo
  • Ram Jam
  • Ricky Lee Jones
  • Horace Andy
  • Womack and Womack
  • Ernst Reijseger
  • Sinead O Connor
  • The Sugar Hill Gang
  • Karl Jenkins
  • Ruben Gonzalez
  • UFO
  • Shigeru Umebayashi
  • Degung Sunda
  • Sawai Hikaru
  • Peaches and Iggy Pop
  • Roberto Fonseca
  • Nils Frahm
  • Chad Lawson
  • Balti
  • Luis Fonsi
  • Mannat Noor
  • Chilly Gonzales
  • The Weeknd
  • Gabriel Garzon Montano

Note : It appears there is a typo in the sql : The Temprtations => The Temptations

Spoiler Great Artists :

• Yan Liben
  • Tepantitla
  • Zhang Zeduan
  • Kano Motonobu
  • Mogyeondo
  • Judith Leyster
  • Jeong Seon
  • Samuel Felsted
  • Hyewon
  • Thomas Cole
  • Johan Christian Dahl
  • Raden Saleh
  • Jan Matejko
  • Albert Bierstadt
  • Edouard Detaille
  • Berthold Woltze
  • Ivan Aivazovsky
  • John Atkinson Grimshaw
  • Black Hawk
  • Albert Lynch
  • Princess Kaiulani
  • Akseli Gallen Kallela
  • Vladimir Baranov-Rossine
  • Frantisek Kupka
  • Ludwig Meidner
  • Alexander Yuriyevich
  • Wojciech Kossak
  • Alphonse Mucha
  • William Paxton
  • Piet Mondrian
  • Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz
  • Tarsila do Amaral
  • Evelyn Dunbar
  • Milan Konjovic
  • Nguyen Nam Son
  • Gao Jianfu
  • Willem Gerard Hofker
  • Montague Dawson
  • Sawlaram Lakshman Haldankar
  • Thomas Hart Benton
  • Jasper Johns
  • Zao Wou-Ki
  • Betye Saar
  • Andy Warhol
  • Norval Morrisseau
  • Uki
  • Yunizar
  • Mode Muntu
  • Fahrelnissa Zeid
  • Louisa Matthiasdottir
  • Jean-Michel Basquiat
  • Georges Mathieu
  • Kacimi
  • Alan Fearnley
  • Babak Roshani Nejad
  • Xue Mo
  • Naza
  • Mario Murua
  • Syed Thajudeen
  • Wang Yan Cheng
  • Joseph McGurl
  • Rachid Hanbali
  • Mickalene Thomas
  • Andre Kohn
  • Jean Andrianaivo Ravelona
  • Alex Pardee

Spoiler Great Writers :

• Sin-Leqi-Unninni, Epic of Gilgamesh
  • Sappho, Ode to Aphrodite
  • Nestor the Chronicler, Tale of Bygone Years
  • Snorri Sturluson, The Prose Edda
  • Is'haq Nebura-Id, Book of Kings
  • Šigi Qutuqu, The Secret History of the Mongols
  • Al-Khansa, Diwan
  • Ono no Komachi, Kokin Wakashu (from where her poems are known)
  • Margery Kempe, The Book of Margery Kempe
  • Wu Cheng'en, Journey to the West
  • Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
  • Gaspara Stampa, Rhymes of my Lady
  • Hanna Diyab, Aladdin's Wonderful Lamp
  • Christin de Pizan, The Book of the City of Ladies
  • Margaret Cavendish, The Blazing World
  • Beatrix Potter, The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • Elias Lönnrot, Kalevala
  • John Keats, Ode to a Nightingale
  • Hans Christian Andersen, The Snow Queen
  • Khurdishbanu Natavan, Lilac
  • Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own
  • P.L. Travers, Mary Poppins
  • Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Were Watching God
  • J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
  • Stanislaw Lem, Solaris
  • Leopold Sedar Senghor, Nocturnes
  • Vasily Grossman, Life and Fate
  • Witi Ihimaera, Pounamu, Pounamu
  • Isaac Asimov, Runaround
  • François Cheng (Chéng Bàoyi), Genuine glory is here
  • Marguerite Yourcenar, Memoirs of Hadrian
  • Marguerite Duras, The Lover
  • James Baldwin, Notes of a Native Son
  • John Irving, The World According to Garp
  • Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart
  • Sylvia Plath, Mushrooms
  • Toni Morrison, Song of Solomon
  • Thomas King, Green Grass, Running Water
  • Andrzej Sapkowski, The Witcher
  • Isabel Allende, The House of the Spirits
  • Lawrence Hill, The Book of Negroes
  • Paulo Coelho, O Alquimista
  • J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
  • Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale
  • Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things
  • Eden Robinson, Monkey Beach
  • René Goscinny, Asterix the Gaul
  • H.P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

Note : You can simply put François Cheng without his Chinese chosen name. He was mostly famous with his French one.

Spoiler Great Generals :

• Cyrus the Great
  • Dumnorix
  • Trung Vuong
  • Kanishka I
  • Lady Trieu
  • Ran Min
  • Balamber
  • Sarvarâjochheda
  • Gwanggaeto the Great
  • Narses
  • Belisarius
  • Abou Bakr As-Siddiq
  • Heraclius
  • Maya Queen Lady Kabel
  • Nikephoros II Phokas
  • John I Tzimiskes
  • Mahmud of Ghazni
  • Robert Guiscard
  • Alp Arslan
  • David IV of Georgia
  • Saladin
  • Sundiata
  • Baibars
  • Tran Hung Dao
  • Oz Beg Khan
  • Bertrand du Guesclin
  • Xu Da
  • Hayam Wuruk
  • Jan Žižka
  • Skandenberg
  • Janos Hunyadi
  • Huyana Capac
  • Asnäf Sägäd I
  • Aminatu
  • Levtraru
  • Tokugawa Ieyasu
  • Malik Ambar
  • Queen Nanny
  • Mihai Viteazu
  • Nurhaci
  • Jan Karol Chodkiewicz
  • Nzingha Mbande
  • Stanislaw Koniecpolski
  • Jan Sobieski
  • Shivaji Bosle
  • Baji Rao I
  • Ahmad Khan Abdali
  • James Wolfe
  • Alexander Suvorov
  • Toussaint LOuverture
  • Mikhail Kutuzov
  • Nguyen Hue
  • José Gervasio Artigas
  • Piotr Ivanovitch Bagration
  • Ranjît Singh
  • Kazimierz Pulaski
  • Simon Bolivar
  • Ignacy Kruszewski
  • Cochise
  • Seh-Dong-Hong-Beh
  • Crazy Horse
  • Richard Hebden OGrady Haly
  • Kumu Eseko Elombe
  • Mekonnen Welde Mikael
  • John Pershing
  • Sir Arthur William Currie
  • Douglas MacArthur
  • Edward Rydz-Smigly
  • Edward Puttick
  • Kiyotake Kawaguchi
  • Josip Broz Tito
  • Matthew Bunker Ridgway
  • Lewis Burwell
  • Simon Spoor
  • Philippe Leclerc
  • Juan José Valle
  • Vo Nguyen Giap
  • Moshe Dayan
  • B. Marcel Bigeard
  • Chung Il-kwon
  • Hal Moore
  • Mario Menéndez
  • Norman Schwarzkopf
  • Liamine Zéroual
  • Jehangir Karamat
  • Fernando Tapias Stahelin
  • Abdul Fatah Younis
  • David Petraeus
  • Yasar Güler
  • César Astudillo Salcedo
  • Vladimer Chachibaia
  • Melvyn Ong

Note : Typo for Toussain LOuverture + Vauban isn't present :faint:

Spoiler Great Admirals :

• Hannu
  • Pytheas
  • Xu Fu
  • Zhang Quian
  • Lacedaimonius
  • Himerios
  • Ngô Quyen
  • George of Antioch
  • Lamba Doria
  • Hugues Quieret
  • Jeanne de Belleville
  • Wang Dayuan
  • Hamza Bey
  • Vincenzo Cappello
  • Juan Martinez de Recalde
  • Yi Sun-sin
  • Keumalahayati
  • Martim Afonso de Castro
  • Gustav Horn
  • Cornelis Tromp
  • Jan van Brakel
  • Jean Bart
  • Fiodor Apraxine
  • George Byng
  • Kanhoji Angre
  • Peter Tordenskjold
  • Robert Surcouf
  • Ching Shih
  • Steen Andersen Bille
  • Miguel Grau Seminario
  • Hans von Koester
  • August von Thomsen
  • Abraham George Ellis
  • Anton Haus
  • Ijuin Goro
  • Paolo Thaon
  • Sir William Clarkson
  • Józef Unrug
  • Mineichi Koga
  • Frank Jack Fletcher
  • Conrad Helfrich
  • Vladimir Kasatonov
  • Ram Dass Katari
  • Bengt Lundvall
  • Jerzy Tumaniszwili
  • Sveto Letica
  • Theodoros Degiannis
  • Lâm Nguon Tánh
  • Pávlos Koundouriótis
  • Konstantin Makarov
  • Jan Klenberg
  • Gulab Mohanlal Hiranandani
  • Lillian Elaine Fishburne
  • Wasantha Karannagoda
  • Édouard Guillaud
  • Ahmed Khaled
  • Lee Hsi-ming
  • Alireza Tangsiri
  • Louise Kathrine Dedichen
  • Bob Auchterlonie
  • Gladys Mbulaheni

Spoiler Great Merchants :

• Colaeus
  • Marcus Licinius Crassus
  • Tunka Manin
  • Al-Mustansir
  • Suryavarman
  • Marco Polo
  • Musa of Mali
  • Ibn Khaldoun
  • Cosimo de Medici
  • Nyatsimba-Mutota
  • Jacob Fugger
  • Konstanty Korniakt
  • Thomas Gresham
  • Shah Abbas
  • Tanaka Shosuke
  • Piero de’ Bardi
  • Osei Tutu
  • Sava Tekelija
  • Howqua
  • Nathan Rotschild
  • Adrian van der Hoop
  • Heinrich Nestle
  • Tippu Tip
  • Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata
  • Rumaliza
  • Cecil Rhodes
  • Simon Iturri Patino
  • John Jacob Astor IV
  • Madam C.J. Walker
  • Helena Rubinstein
  • Tomé de Barros Queirós
  • Melitta Bentz
  • François Blais
  • Osman Ali Khan
  • David Sarnoff
  • Raymond Rubicam
  • T.V.Soong
  • Yoyoda Tatsugoro
  • Estée Lauder
  • Masaru Ibuka
  • David Ogilvy
  • Taiichi Ohno
  • Sam Walton
  • Karl Albrecht
  • Ingvar Kamprad
  • Li Ka-Shing
  • Lee Shau-kee
  • Carl Icahn
  • Carlos Slim
  • Muhammad Yunus
  • Haji Bolkiah
  • Scrooge McDuck
  • Bernard Arnault
  • Mukesh Ambani
  • Aliko Dangote
  • Masayoshi Son
  • Jeff Bezos
  • Jack Ma
  • Michael Dell
  • Jerry Jang
  • Colin Huang Zheng

Note : Ibn Khaldun wasn't a merchant (even though he traveled a bit). He was a scholar mostly known for example as the father of historiography (I will add him as a Great Writer)

Spoiler Great Engineers :

• Tapputi
  • Eupalinos
  • Ximen Bao
  • Marcus Vitruvius Pollio
  • Apollodorus of Damascus
  • Isidore of Miletus
  • Anthemius of Tralles
  • Al-Ishafani
  • Yu Hao
  • Maslama am-Majriti
  • Su Song