More GPs Module

That's actually an interesting decision to make : we put Uderzo and Goscinny in the module originally as a way to thank Astérix Rage for the project, and so didn't want to add more cartoonists (which to me are more of a mix between a GW and a GArtist). However, if people really want to, we can add one or two cartoonists from each grand family of comics (American comic books, Franco-Belgian BD and Japanese manga) as a way to close things.

Yes, for me the ninth art must be represented.

Ôtomo Katsuhiro, Tanigushi Jirô, Shirô Masamune,...
Franquin, Hergé, Goscinny, Morris, Hugo Pratt, Shuiten, Moebius, Enki Bilal, Tardi,...
Frank Miller, Corben, Dave Gibbons and Alan Moore, Bernie Wrightson,...

While we're in the process of naming writers/artists/musicians of note outside of the anglosphere, I think that Sam Cooke (Atomic) definitely deserves note as a crucial songwriter and producer, especially since he is considered to be the inventor of soul music and paved the way for black-owned independent record labels in the 1960s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Cooke

And as for what song to sample:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Change_Is_Gonna_Come

Yes, for me the ninth art must be represented.

Ôtomo Katsuhiro, Tanigushi Jirô, Shirô Masamune,...
Franquin, Hergé, Goscinny, Morris, Hugo Pratt, Shuiten, Moebius, Enki Bilal, Tardi,...
Frank Miller, Corben, Dave Gibbons and Alan Moore, Bernie Wrightson,...

You see, since I don't want to overcharge the module, I chose two GWW per place. I agree that there are A LOT of very interesting cartoonists (Naoki Urasawa, Junji Ito or even Hiromu Arakawa, or Hayao Miyazaki as the author of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind also comes to my mind for example, as an manga reader since childhood), but because we have very limited space, I chose a more historical approach for the remaining GWW.

So here are my choices :
  • Machiko Hasegawa : Sazae-san, first published in 1946, it is considered the first modern manga and has had the longest-running anime adaptation in history
  • Osamu Tezuka : Astro Boy, considered to be the most influential manga in the 20th century and the source of inspiration for countless mangaka.
=> Here, we also have two types of manga : the shonen and the yonkoma (different in themes and in their narrative structures), which shows different influences and ways this media evolved

• Alex Raymond : Flash Gordon, considered to be the first true superhero created for comics (although Superman became later the standard in the domain)
  • Bud Fisher, Mutt and Jeff, first modern daily comic strip and existed until the 80's
=> Once again, I wanted to show two differents types of comics : one is the classical heroes comic book, the other the more XIXth century-inspired comic strip

• Uderzo : Astérix the Gaul => Already in the module
  • Georges Rémi : The Adventures of Tintin, considered the most famous and influential series in Franco-Belgian bande-dessinée.

Last edited:
You see, since I don't want to overcharge the module, I chose two GWW per place. I agree that there are A LOT of very interesting cartoonists (Naoki Urasawa, Junji Ito or even Hiromu Arakawa, or Hayao Miyazaki as the author of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind also comes to my mind for example, as an manga reader since childhood), but because we have very limited space, I chose a more historical approach for the remaining GWW.

I understand, I based my choices, not necessarily the most judicious. Fair, I will plead for Moebius (Jean Giraud, Gir) because his work is international, that it influenced all modern cinematographic science fiction and that it is respected as much in Europe as in the United States and in Japan.

65 new Great Diplomats coming:
Code:
_D__010', 'ERA_CLASSICAL'), -- -229           , 'Titus Quinctius Flamininus'),
_D__020', 'ERA_CLASSICAL'), -- 0395           , 'Pope Leo I'),
_D__030', 'ERA_MEDIEVAL'), -- ~1200           , 'Jigonhsasee'),
_D__040', 'ERA_RENAISSANCE'), -- 1478       , 'Baldassare Castiglione'), 
_D__050', 'ERA_RENAISSANCE'), -- 1491       , 'Eustace Chapuys'),
_D__060', 'ERA_RENAISSANCE'), -- 1825       , 'Kamehameha III'),
_D__070', 'ERA_RENAISSANCE'), -- 1523       , 'Pargali Ibrahim Pacha'),
_D__080', 'ERA_RENAISSANCE'), -- 1581       , 'Sir Thomas Roe'), 
_D__090', 'ERA_RENAISSANCE'), -- 1583       , 'Hugo Grotius'),
_D__100', 'ERA_RENAISSANCE'), -- 1594       , 'Johann Rudolf Wettstein'),
_D__110', 'ERA_RENAISSANCE'), -- ~1640     , 'Kosa Pan'),
_D__120', 'ERA_RENAISSANCE'), -- 1737      , 'Lord Macartney'),
_D__130', 'ERA_RENAISSANCE'), -- 1786      , 'Moshoeshoe I'),
_D__140', 'ERA_RENAISSANCE'), -- 1786      , 'Sir Stratford Canning'),
_D__150', 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL'), -- 1861       , 'Albert von Mensdorff'),
_D__160', 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL'), -- 1871       , 'José Maria da Silva Paranhos'),
_D__170', 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL'), -- 1876       , 'Orestes Ferrara'),
_D__180', 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL'), -- 1877       , 'Sir Samuel Ebenezer Runganadhan'),
_D__190', 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL'), -- 1897       , 'Robert Anthony Eden'),
_D__200', 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL'), -- 1898       , 'Tran Van Chuong'),
_D__210', 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL'), -- 1899       , 'Miguel Ángel Asturias'),
_D__220', 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL'), -- 1900       , 'Narciso Ramos'), 
_D__230', 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL'), -- 1904       , 'Suzanne Borel'),
_D__240', 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL'), -- 1904       , 'George F. Kennan'),
_D__250', 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL'), -- 1906       , 'Yakov Malik'),
_D__260', 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL'), -- 1909       , 'Shanker Shamsher Jang Bahadur Rana'),
_D__270', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1917           , 'Adam Malik'),
_D__280', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1917           , 'Stéphane Hessel'),
_D__290', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1920           , 'Javier Perez de Cuellar'),
_D__300', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1922           , 'Boutros Boutros-Ghali'),
_D__310', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1923           , 'Max Jakobson'),
_D__320', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1925           , 'Gérard Ouédraogo'),
_D__330', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1928           , 'Eduard Shevardnadze'),
_D__340', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1928           , 'Zbigniew Brzezinski'),
_D__350', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1930           , 'Lawrence Eagleburger'),
_D__360', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1931           , 'Redha Malek'), 
_D__370', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1936           , 'Patrick Nothomb'),
_D__380', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1936           , 'Larbi Messari'),
_D__390', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1936           , 'Donald McHenry'),
_D__400', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1937           , 'Peter Jay'),
_D__410', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1937           , 'Ali Treki'),
_D__420', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1938           , 'Jacques Diouf'),
_D__430', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1938           , 'Jiri Grusa'),
_D__440', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1941           , 'Endymion Wilkinson'),
_D__450', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1942           , 'Mountaga Diallo'),
_D__460', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1943           , 'Migonette Patricia Durrant'),
_D__470', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1944           , 'Arthur J. Collingsworth'),
_D__480', 'ERA_MODERN'), -- 1944           , 'Roble Olhaye'),
_D__490', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1947       , 'César Mayoral'),
_D__500', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1948       , 'Masatoshi Muto'),
_D__510', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1951       , 'Benedikt Ásgeirsson'),
_D__520', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1952       , 'Vitali Tchourkine'),
_D__530', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1954       , 'Andreï Karlov'),
_D__540', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1954       , 'Mats Foyer'),
_D__550', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1955       , 'Saëb Erakat'),
_D__560', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1957       , 'Jamal al-Jamal'),
_D__570', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1957       , 'Zhao Lijian'),
_D__580', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1962       , 'Raychelle Omamo'),
_D__590', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1964       , 'Susan Rice'),
_D__600', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1965       , 'Ahmed Sareer'),
_D__610', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1972       , 'Samantha Smith'),
_D__620', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1972       , 'Nikola Dimitrov'),
_D__630', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1973       , 'Carolyn Rodrigues'),
_D__640', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1975       , 'Vuk Jeremic'),
_D__650', 'ERA_POSTMODERN'), -- 1978       , 'Julie Chappell'),

Well, in that case I add my stone to the list by proposing Hattusili III, king of the Hittites and responsible, with Ramesses II, for the creation of the most ancient peace treaty known in history (the Eternal Treaty, or Treaty of Kadesh). Apparently, he also had an intense diplomatic activity during his reign (from the great number of tablets we found in his palace). We don't know his birthdate, but he became king around the middle of the 1260's BCE (often said 1267 BCE) and reigned around 30 years.

Last edited:
By the way, I'm looking for quotes for Sazae-san, Flash Gordon and Mutt and Jeff (from the comics, not anime adaptations). If someone has good ones, don't hesitate.

By the way, I'm looking for quotes for Sazae-san, Flash Gordon and Mutt and Jeff (from the comics, not anime adaptations). If someone has good ones, don't hesitate.

For Flash, perhaps

upload_2021-1-26_23-7-32.png

from https://news.justcollecting.com/fir...p-original-artwork-alex-raymond-1933-auction/

Just for reference, do I still need to enable this via a .modinfo file per the first page of this thread? If so, how do I actually go about doing that?

Just for reference, do I still need to enable this via a .modinfo file per the first page of this thread? If so, how do I actually go about doing that?

No, it's fully integrated into VP. That reply was answering my question about using it with an older version.

No, it's fully integrated into VP. That reply was answering my question about using it with an older version.

Wonderful, thanks. Just wanted to check since I hadn't seen any of the 'new' GPs in the couple of games I'd played.

@psparky
I hadn't seen any of the 'new' GPs in the couple of games I'd played.
I'm still worried...

V.3 is in progress:
-- 050 Great Musicians _M__
-- 080 Great Artists _A__
-- 034 Great Writers _W__
-- 112 Great Generals _G__
-- 087 Great Admirals _B__
-- 116 Great Merchants _N__
-- 082 Great Engineers _E__
-- 081 Great Scientists _S__
-- 066 Great Diplomates _D__

Wonderful, thanks. Just wanted to check since I hadn't seen any of the 'new' GPs in the couple of games I'd played.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but we are trying to establish if there might be a bug here.

Because of the way they are chosen by the game and because most of the new ones are for later eras, for GWAM, you typically won't see many/any of the new ones until the last two or three eras. On the other hand, for all the other great people the new ones will tend to come out first.

With that in mind, do you think it's definitely not working for you?

Edit: Never mind - found a bug

I'm still worried...

Me too :(

Did you also see in the latest beta thread stalker report he had run out of musicians in what I believe is an eight-player game, which seems very unlikely?

As I said I've been logging the selection process (in my old version) and it's working perfectly. In each phase, it considers all the possible choices, eliminating those that don't match the era criteria or have already been born, then choosing from those that remain. If none remain, it moves onto the next phase. Those that don't produce their great work are recycled and can be born again - all working perfectly.

I compared the code from my old version with the latest and the only change has been to the random number generator, but as long as the updated one produces numbers in the correct range (and if it doesn't, the game would fail in many ways) everything should work the same.

Perhaps there is something outside of this code that has changed that's causing a problem. At some point, I'll try adding logging to the latest version and see if that sheds any light on the situation.

BTW, in order to regenerate the full list of names, I think I will only need the sql file, not the whole module. At least we should try that first.

Last edited:
OK, so I've identified the problem...

Once one new Great Musician (for example) has been born, the game thinks all of the new ones have already been born.

Since my old version, there has been a change to the way the names of great people already born are stored. It now uses some sort of hasher function. The name that is stored is the TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_M__xxx. I'm guessing that because the names all follow a pattern they all hash to the same value - something like that anyway.

We will probably need some input from the main developers, possibly G, to determine how to resolve this.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but we are trying to establish if there might be a bug here.

Because of the way they are chosen by the game and because most of the new ones are for later eras, for GWAM, you typically won't see many/any of the new ones until the last two or three eras. On the other hand, for all the other great people the new ones will tend to come out first.

With that in mind, do you think it's definitely not working for you?

Ah, well, the follow-up work you and Asterix Rage did would explain why I ran out of GPs midway through my Arabia CV game :lol: Basically, for reference, I just didn't see any of the new GP names (but I was playing on a 16 major civ map so I had assumed we just ran out of names!).

Incidentally, you never need to apologize for asking me for clarification about bugs - I mod myself (although for Paradox games, not Civ) and well know how important getting good bug reports is! Hope you get the issue patched.

Top Bottom