1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Most Anticipated New Civilization

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Sparthage, Feb 19, 2012.

?

Which civilization do you anticipate the most in the new expansion?

1. Netherlands

91 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Mayans

60 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. Byzantines

72 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. Carthaginians

69 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Celts

75 vote(s)
    20.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

Celts for me; though all five announced civs are ones I'm glad to have in the mix!

2. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Chieftain

I know, I can't wait to hear Boudica talk Irish (I presuming, since Dublin is one of the cities under her control)

3. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

Would she speak Irish English?
    Or would it be Gaelic.
    I really have no idea.
    I loved the Dutch music in CivIV Bts. Irish is great too.
    I'm curious as to what Carthaginian music sounds like.

4. jdog5000

jdog5000 Revolutionary

Mayans in 2012!

And Boudica has to speak Gaelic or something, given how far they've gone with other civs in tracking down historical languages when possible.

5. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

My guess is Irish Gaelic. It's close to a living language (I usually lovingly refer to it as a Zombie language, but there are areas of Ireland known as Gaeltacht where people have to speak Gaelic). This will make it easier to find a native speaker.

Alternatively, it could be Welsh. According to Wikipedia, there are actually far more Welsh speakers than Irish speakers. It might actually be more accurate too since the Welsh were the Celtic peoples who were definitely on the British isles (they fled to Wales when the Anglo-Saxons came).

I don't know if we know. Anyone remember what they had for Civ4? Probably the most logical thing would be Tunisian music, so it'll have an Arabic flair.

6. Corm

Corm Chieftain

I will be playing the Celts first. I have to say I totally hate the idea of the "Celts" as a Civ and I always have done in earlier versions (I think there should be Gauls, Picts, various Brythonic tribes etc) but I love em too.

She would speak a Brythonic or Proto-Brythonic lanuague btw not a Goidelic lanaguage which is what Irish, Manx and Scots Gaelic is derived from. Welsh is a Brythonic language so she should sound Welsh. :D

I know im being pedantic but I love "Celtic" history and the Iceni were Britons.

7. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Well, we both agreed it should be Insular Celtic. I did not realize there had been that much of a distant divergence. I speak a little Irish Gaelic, which is why I want her to speak that, but I agree the Welsh is a better choice. Neither will be completely inappropriate since, the further back in time you go (and the more obscure the language), the more wiggle room you have, imo. As long as they don't pull another Egypt speaking Arabic thing I'll be happy (I have a suspicion that Carthage will speak Arabic, however).

8. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Chieftain

The racist warmonger :mischief:

I wonder if willem will speak dutch like today or the dutch in that time period

9. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Given Elizabeth and Napoleon, I'd say the Dutch today.

10. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

:(
    Probably modern Dutch.

11. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Chieftain

Haha I wonder what He will say if he dows me :lol:

12. Atlas627

Atlas627 Chieftain

I don't think these are the same civs. Look VERY closely at the symbols. One is curved and flower-y while the other is straight-edged.

EDIT: Actually, its the centers that look different. They have pretty close shapes, but different patterns.

EDITx2: But one has the Pictish Warrior and the other has Cardiff...aren't those both Celtic? The city is not occupied, but it could have been captured. And the Pictish Warrior could have been gifted by a CS. Or they changed the symbol between these pictures and they actually are the same civ?!

13. CivOasis

CivOasis Ahuizotl

One of those symbols is a unit symbol.

14. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Chieftain

It would be historically inaccurate to have her speaking Irish English. The language hadn't existed yet.

15. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I'm almost certain she won't be speaking Irish English, that would be a ridiculous mistake. However, there's a debate over whether she'll be speaking Irish Gaelic or Welsh. I think Welsh is more likely, but I'd love her to say in her defeat speech "Pog mo thoin" ;)

16. Durgat

Durgat Chieftain

I hope they put more Indigenous North American civs in. Cheyenne or Celilo, or anyone else.

17. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

This thread isn't supposed to be about who you want in (the Civ speculation thread might be better for that). It's about which of the currently announced civs are you looking forward to the most.

18. vonbach

vonbach Chieftain

Indigenous native american people would be the clovis people.
    Otherwise known as Europeans.

19. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

I'm really looking forward to playing the Byzantines, especially after the rather flavorless East Rome from Civ4 (maybe it was their grey colour). But I'm also going to play the Dutch as soon as the expansion comes out, I really like their mercantile and seafaring playstyle, as well as the colour orange :D

The third civ in my queue will most probably be one of the four surprise civilizations.

20. vonbach

vonbach Chieftain

I'll admit I'm looking forward to both Byzantium and the Dutch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.