Most Underrated Actors/Actresses

muhtesem insan

Amateur Revolutionary
Inspired by Kyriakos' thread. Let's list Actors/Actresses that you believe deserve more credit for their work.

Willem Dafoe (He plays mostly in crap movies but I believe he's an excellent actor. )
Ed Harris
Gary Oldman
Sean Penn
Joaquin Phoenix

^But all of those (Dafoe the least of them, of course) are either well-known, or A-listers anyway in the american movie industry.

As for Oldman, well, he was good for a time, but now seems to be spiralling down (Robocop? :\ ).
He also was in some crap films (like that Harisson Ford one as Potus :lol: ).
Never liked Penn.

Harris is ok/good, but like i said he is very well-known already, and casted in good roles.

As for my suggestions:

I am not sure how any US actor that we would tend to know (many non-US people here) would be easily termed as underrated. I would nominate that australian (i think) actor from Shine, the one who plays the pianist in his late-teen years. He was later on in a movie titled Max, with John Cusack. Max had him in the role of Hitler, and focused on him as an artist, prior to involvement in politics (it was a hypothetical movie mostly).

Not sure if the two protagonists from the 90s series 'The X-files' were in any good movie. The female lead was at least ok in one film where Sharon Stone was the star (and a pretty decent movie overall, despite having a stupid name).

First of all your need to explain the X-Files as "90s series " made me feel old :).

Of course almost all the actors should be known. So maybe title should be most underrated popular actors :) None of these actors have the recognition of george clooney, or tom cruise, but I believe they should have. That's why i classify them as underrated.

From wiki:

wikifiles said:
The X-Files is an American science fiction horror drama television series created by Chris Carter. The program originally aired from September 10, 1993 to May 19, 2002

It seems that the 9/11 killed the show. It did have quite the momentum, and was a decent idea. :)

Sir Christopher Lee, because for some reason he isn't universally acknowledged as the most interesting man in the world.

Well, he and BRIAN BLESSED, whose name must always be spelled in all caps.

-Christopher Walken
-Ryan Gosling

the rest is later when I remember

It seems that the 9/11 killed the show. It did have quite the momentum, and was a decent idea. :)

I think the show just ran out of steam; it was time for it to go. I mean look at the movies, they were not that great. Once the series started attempting to answer the questions it had been asking, it started to go downhill, imo. The show was never about explanations, it was always about the investigation of some strange or unexplained phenomena. The whole "The bees are going to destroy the world" or whatever it ended up being was just too silly. I think they should have ended on a high note instead.

As for underrated actors, I don't know any. I have a hard time remembering the names of people that I work with, let alone celebrities. I don't really know who is considered to be highly rated either, as I don't follow any of that celebrity watch claptrap.

So let's go with Rowan Atinkson. I don't think he gets enough love. That is a total guess, but probably a good one.

John Hurt, not perhaps underrated among people who rate such things, but still underrecognized as one of the best film actors ever to have lived.

Also underrated, off the top of my head, Reese Witherspoon and James Purefoy.

I suppose you mean the one in the original Alien, The Elephant Man, and more recently V for Vendetta?

Cause he surely is a great actor :)
But i am not sure how he would be termed underrated anyway, he is in main roles in a large number of popular and lucrative holywood movies.

Maybe Tilda Swinton. My mom thinks she looks scary but I like her. She does look very English.

I like Illeana Douglas too. She's very funny and I've liked her in everything I've seen but most people probably don't know who she is. She's mostly the guest star or small part in whatever she does.

Kyriakos, that guy in the photo, I've seen Alien and parts of the Elephant Man but I don't recognize him. He looks pretty scary, like his face is about to fall off.

Joaquin Phoenix
I only saw him in Her which was a terribly boring movie (where he basically just emoted to his cell phone for two hours, well maybe two hours, I only go thru the first 45 minutes).

I'd say Ed Norton but I think everyone already knows he's great.

I only saw him in Her...

This is extremely offtopic but I can't resist. Is it normal in English to use the preterite in stead of the perfect? To me that sentence seems wrong because you imply that it is impossible for you to ever see a movie with Joaquin Phoenix again(which I assume is not true).

It's the guy who dies first in Alien. The Alien bursts out of his chest.

I saw the movie many times but I did not recognize the actor. It really scared me when I was a kid.

This is extremely offtopic but I can't resist. Is it normal in English to use the preterite in stead of the perfect? To me that sentence seems wrong because you imply that it is impossible for you to ever see a movie with Joaquin Phoenix again(which I assume is not true).

People aren't always so observant of that. My stepfather has a rural dialect and he often says things like, "I seen them yesterday."

In Britain, at least in London, they use "done" a lot, like "We done this already."

In the South in America people use done sometimes instead of have, like, "I done told ya ten times."

On Another note, I'm not trying to nominate Grace Jones because she hasn't really been in that many movies, but how many people have seen the music video to Slave to the Rhythm? It's one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. I'd post it but there's some nudity.

It was getting near the end when it was cancelled.

Yeah, the main X-Files was wrapping up at that point (and it probably should have earlier), but its spin-off series was possibly killed by 9/11. I'll let the wiki explain it:

The plot of the first episode, which aired March 4, 2001, involves a US government conspiracy to hijack an airliner, fly it into the World Trade Center and blame it on terrorists, thereby gaining support for a new profit-making war. Parallels of this scenario to the September 11 attacks are noteworthy, if not uncanny, since the episode was aired six months prior to 9/11.[

Well, it was that or poor ratings. One of the two.

Top Bottom