1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MTDG3 Preparation PitBoss

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PitBoss Games' started by Caledorn, May 6, 2012.

1. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Thanks! :thumbsup:

2. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Unless we get more players, does everyone think a large map is okay? Or should we just start the game in a few days on a standard map instead to get this going? :)

3. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

With 10 players, depends on the type of map, it can be good on Large. Normal can do too.

4. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

With 10 players I'd be contemplating somewhere between Large and Huge. Wouldn't go to Standard, would be very cramped. Large is probably fine, unless we get another signup or two.

5. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

So... time to get this started? :)

6. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Yes indeed!

I have just been busy preparing the machine that is going to run the game, and with summer setting in it's impossible to sit inside with a computer in daytime. I'm SO not used to 26 degrees celcius in the shade yet. The machine is more or less done though, so I expect the game to be up and running within 2 days from now! :D

7. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

The game is now up, with a small reservation that if I have done something wrong we may need to restart it. I have logged in myself, paused the game, and logged right out again.

The first post has been edited with the IP. Please log in, claim your civ and repause the game :) Let me know about any problems!

8. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

I havn't done this before, so just in, choose your civ, set a PW and go out again? Or can we take our turn aswell?

9. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Feel free to take your turn :) Just remember to press Pause again before you log out, and please remember to use Exit to Main Menu and not to desktop, as exiting to the desktop directly from within the pitboss game may leave other players unable to log in.

10. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Had to install some updates, so took the game down for about 30 minutes in case anyone tried to connect unsuccessfully. Up and running again now, and still paused waiting for everyone to get in position. :)

I will most likely not announce it when I do updates in this thread, unless someone complains about the server unavailable btw. ;)

Edit: Oh, and I will most likely change the port of this game to 2057 when the real MTDG game starts. Just so you're all aware in advance. I need some help from someone on how to accomplish this, while also running the CivStats uploader for both games. I know it's easily sorted though, so will be quick when I do the update. :)

11. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

:lol: My start is encased by ice and icebergs... nice. :p

Been a while since I've played on a completely random map, forgot it sometimes did that. Are we just running with the first random generation? There are folks around who could easily generate a few maps and pick out one without stuff like ice starts if we want. Or we could go with a script like Fractal or Big_and_Small, which tend not to have as many issues with stuff like ice starts if I recall correctly.

Will still play on this map if others want to, just that ice starts tend to be a bit boring and predictable in multiplayer... stuck with only one usable city for ages, inevitably fall behind and get killed by a larger nation without an ice start at some point.

Also, what's the registration password for Civstats, so that we can get emailed when new turns roll? http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=2386

12. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Ah, crap - that doesn't sound too good. I don't mind restarting the game, seeing as we're just in turn 1 anyways. It would require the others to agree to it as well, although I can't really imagine anyone would object with a start like that.

I'd prefer that we keep the game on a pangaea map - if you know someone who can arrange a map with somewhat balanced starts, preferably this weekend, then please go ahead and do so. I don't know if those two map scripts you mention generate pangaea maps - and what I would like to avoid is isolated players. Unless there are some major objections by the other participants I think it's the best course of action, as the goal of this game is to have fun (And that start definitely doesn't sound like fun). :)

Edit: Oh, and in regards to the civstats pw. Should I just put it here in the thread, or is the proper form to PM it to the players? :) I was wondering about that, but forgot to ask ;)

13. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Okay, I'm sure I can find someone who would be willing to spend a few minutes checking a map for us - probably within hours. :) If you definitely don't want anyone separated on a different land mass then this is probably worth doing regardless, because the Pangaea map script is imperfect from the perspective of putting everyone on one land mass. Very occasionally it puts a player on a different land mass to the others - so if you really don't want that then we really should get someone impartial to check.

So, the list I'll pass to them will be:
    Does that sound about right? I'm sure they'd be happy to take more specific instructions if we want to give them - e.g. "make strategic resources fair". Or we could just get them to leave the map completely natural after the random generation, only checking to make sure the two items mentioned above (poor/ice starts and isolated starts) are not the case. :)

14. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

You're a veteran player, LP, while I'm more or less a noob (especially in comparison to you). :) As such, you know far more than I do about what makes the grounds for a fun game in a map. As long as the map that is made is unrevealed to both you and me on our honour, I trust your call in this matter and that you will make sure we get a map that is designed to be fun for everyone involved.

If you think fair strategic resources for instance is a good idea, then please ask the mapmaker to take that into consideration! Same goes for any other suggestion you may have on the map. The two points you have written are the two points I think are important, other than those two I leave the map in your very experienced hands. :cool:

15. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Oh, I won't even see the map - whoever checks it will send the file straight to you afterwards. (If you PM me your email I can pass it on, or they can leave you a link to a download site.) :)

What difficulty were you going with? Noble? Just realised we forgot to discuss that. Noble, Prince and Monarch are most commonly used in multiplayer.

16. Yuck_Fou

Yuck_Fou Chieftain

In every game are some starting place better then other .. if you are good player i think its not problem to play game with bad starting position.. My starting position isnt rich too but i dont see reason for remaking..

Edit: And what about this pw on civstats?

17. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Being encased in ice is considerably worse than having mere mediocre resources, though. When there are no valid spots for a second city for 10-20 tiles in all directions due to all the tundra and ice, it's not much fun to play (at least in multiplayer).

We already have someone who has generated and checked a new map for us - I've notified Caledorn. :)

18. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

I just logged in and for whatever reason Paris was set to produce a warrior rather than a worker. Unpaused it and then repaused it and it was fine. :confused:

19. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I see we have one player in opposition of changing maps. Can we get a tally on what people want so we can get a consensus, please? I'll leave the game paused until we reach a majority decision, and I will give you the Civstats pw on PM later tonight.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

20. Elkad

Elkad Emperor

Pre-screened map is fine by me. I've already played the game where I had to walk 35 tiles to get out of the tundra/ice..