[MULT] Pitboss Worldbuilding Challenge

Because we can. Because we can take the blows. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight.

I'm Batman*.
*Not**
**But I can whistle the theme song.

So everything's fixed now?

There's a new wonder-- El Dorado -- but I don't want to place it unless I know people without the Spain & Inca DLC can still be in the game. Anyone know if this is the case?
Also, I'm setting all city-states to King difficulty. In case that matters. Dunno really if it does.

a) Yes, it's possible to place El Dorado (and the Fountain of OP) on the map and still have people play on it; both those NWs were added in to the base game in a patch that came out shortly after the Spain and Inca DLC.
b) The CS difficulty sounds good.

EDIT: Woo, 1,000th post!

So let me get this straight sillsworth...you are the only person who has seen the whole map and you are playing SPAIN? And now you are placing El Dorado?! Not trying to offend just seems like a conflict of interests or something haha

So let me get this straight sillsworth...you are the only person who has seen the whole map and you are playing SPAIN? And now you are placing El Dorado?! Not trying to offend just seems like a conflict of interests or something haha

I'm sure she's doing nothing wrong and El Dorado is far, far away from her lake victoria/KSM capital. :)

I'm sure she's doing nothing wrong and El Dorado is far, far away from her lake victoria/KSM capital. :)

Let's just say that the position of El Dorado will remain mystical for millennia. As for my Lake Victoria Cap, I've placed all wonders at good places in the map, at an equal distance from each other. It's gonna be hard for me to get to all of the, before Rome or Egypt or someone snatches them up.
The barb issue is still prevalent, I'm going to try to get the game up tomorrow afternoon, as I'm going in for an interview with a game design professor after midterms (ooooh). Sorry for the delay, midterms and BARBAIAN ENCAPMENT SWPAWIN has really been bothering me.

Don't worry about us. Do well on midterms. They are far more important than getting this game to start in a timely fashion.

Good luck with the interview!

Yeah, to echo what redwings said, there's no extreme rush. Good luck on your midterms (speaking from experience, oh how fun they are...), and hope your interview goes well!

Hope things go well for you, sillsworth. And don't be too rushed about this. Like others have said, there are more important things.

:goodjob:

Hey guys!
This is fuzzy_dumpling, sorry I've been offline pretty much this entire time (Except when silsworth used my account). I'm really interested in the server, I've just been crazy busy with exams up until this point. Hopefully I'll be more active in the future.

Anyway just saying hello...

Hey guys!
This is fuzzy_dumpling, sorry I've been offline pretty much this entire time (Except when silsworth used my account). I'm really interested in the server, I've just been crazy busy with exams up until this point. Hopefully I'll be more active in the future.

Anyway just saying hello...

Good to see that you actually exist. But exams are a good excuse. Ultimately, they're probably more important than this game. Probably.

Okay, so in the meantime of trying to find a barbarian-spawning system, I've written down the opening turn of the city-state of Mombasa. Using IGE I've found Mombasa, located what tiles are being worked (through deduction!), the qualities of the city-state (Maritime, Irrational), and what is being produced (nothing). They also only have the technology of agriculture. I've purposely not included the history or language of Mombasa as I do not officially know what civs are around Mombasa, or the origin of the city-state. That will be determined after the ancient era, so I don't want to make assumptions or create a constructed language quite yet. The first ones to find a city-state can write up a description of the city-state (not necessarily as long as this) and post it on the social group. This way, anyone to encounter the same city-state can use the page as a reference to what the city-state is like. Though, the city-states are constantly evolving.
Spoiler :

MOMBASA (4000 BC):
Mombasa is founded on the coast on the rocky coast of a distant land. Mombasans have not ventured north, but the outsiders that have say that nothing edible can be found for miles. The hunter-gatherers of Mombasa have only gone as far as the poorly-defined borders of the city-state, north where the lichen meets deciduous forest.
The forests are too poor quality to provide much sustenance for the Mombasans. The hunters may return every week with a hare or wolf cub, but never anything of much weight or value. The forest is too cold in the winter and too rich in nitrogen in the summer to harbor a growing animal community.
Spoiler :
Instead, the Mombasans harvest root plants around their community, several enclosed circles of debris-hut shelters. In the spring, when the trees begin to grow back and the water melts, the Mombasans carve bark off the wet trees and strap it to their huts, slowly trying to create a better system of housing that keeps them warm and living, without the added animal infestations the debris provides.

(the above spoiler was what I wrote before I checked the Civ game and realized that the forest patterns did not line up and it rendered Mombasa to be more on the coast. I had to rewrite.)

Mombasa sits on the shore of the land, facing south towards the calmer coasts. A series of hills and outcrops keep the western wind from hitting Mombasa straight in the face, which would've lowered the temperature of the community to unsurvivable conditions. Instead, villagers of Mombasa keep large fires going in the complex cave network below the cold plains. Though the mining abilities of Mombasa are still primitive, Mombasans were able to wrap small cave pockets in dried tallgrass and live a comfortable life. Mombasans collect driftwood from the coast and burn it, lighting the fires great greens and yellows, which are thought to be spirits, but are actually burning sea salt (this ocean has strange salts and minerals in it).
Mombasans hunt the cave-bears and ghostly creatures of the caves, but most of their food comes from the ocean. Trained divers jump from the coast down into the dark waters, emerging with as many crabs as they can carry. They usually snap and try to escape, so these divers (mostly women) bring rope bags to throw the crabs into. They've also learned ways to avoid the crabs, and have been taught to sense movement.
Life in Mombasa is slow, the winters are tough and the land seems barren, save for the berry bushes above Mombasa. In the early autumn, families leave for the east, harvesting the plentiful bushes of cranberries, cloudberries, and blackberries (the resource that spawned was wine, I edited wine into berries (that will eventually become wine)). The fruit is one of the only things that get the Mombasans through the winter, that and the abundance of shellfish and inba (white root vegetable, comparable to a potato, but sour).
Mombasa does have a serious problem, however. The source of freshwater Mombasa once had has past, forcing the people of the community to find other ways of purification. There are underground sources, flowing into the sea, but they are not as pure as needed. The Mombasans, pressed for options, add apside (a naturally forming crystal, found deep in the caves) into the water. Crushed and added to the water, apside does remove all pathogens, but it has begun to take hold on the community. Apside damages the throat as it goes down, turning people mute as the apside clogs their vocal chords. Most of the population is not mute, but the apside has still had an effect on the vocal cords, rendering much of speech impossible. Language has grown in accordance, a mixture of pre-apside words and sounds that only apside victims can make (mostly clicks and cawing-like sounds).

Okay I dunno where I'm really going with this. I'll leave this hear as a template I guess. Uuh, yeah. Not my best work, I'll probably revise is as I go one. This totally isn't realistic, I'm sure Dev is gonna shoot holes in this immediately. I barely did research though, I'm cool with any criticism.

I really want to get this underway, and so I strongly suggest you plant a bunch of encampments and turn on Raging Barbarians, sillsworth. Yes, there will only be the one wave, but on Quick speed with Raging Barbs nothing short of a massive military expedition will be able to wipe out the hostile nomadic tribes.

From what I have gathered, the no barb spawning on scenarios might be an unpatched bug. The only solution offered I found while searching around the 'net is fiddling with the teams (which we already tried). I think either follow cpm's suggestion above, or avoid the scenario mode and just reroll starts on the base map. I doubt anyone is going to be that upset about it if they don't have the same spot.

Top Bottom