Multi-Player Bugs and Crashes, v42 & SVN after April 2022

raxo2222

Time Traveller
Report any OOS errors or issues with Multi-Player simultaneous games here.

You CAN play Simultaneous Multi-player as a single player and get a semi-real time turn based game that processes turns a bit faster since the AI is moving when you do. We can also try to debug those as well.

If you are trying to play actual multi-player, the IP connection is the most valid but you're likely to hit some OOS errors. To minimize these,

1) Turn off events in the game options when you set things up - yes this negates flammability but you'll have lots of OOS errors all game if you don't.
2) Make sure Rev is off. This tends to cause some as well.
3) Make sure to try to avoid building any wonders other players are building, even if it lets you, especially if you are on the same team.
4) Avoid automating anything at all, including sending units beyond the reach of their movement for a turn. For some reason, this is a known issue.

Beyond that, when you DO get an OOS error (which sometimes happens in the first round even) you should:
1) report the autosave if you have one from the immediate round before the OOS takes place and you find you can repeatedly hit the same OOS error that round.

2) report the logs you get - you should have logging turned on for all systems through the config ini settings.

and more importantly:

3) save the game AFTER the OOS has taken place, have everyone get out entirely to desktop, all reload and reinitialize the game. If you try to shortcut this to get back on track, you will doom yourself to immediate OOS errors again.

If you're having a LOT of OOS errors, please post here to let me know to look into it. A 2 player game is something I can TRY to evaluate somewhat, and just knowing the era and when things are beginning to OOS a lot can help.

CivilizationIV.ini tends to self-destruct itself once a while.
Remember to back up it, file can be found at C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword

Last edited:
Crash to desktop.
Reproduces consistently.

Build v42.1.BETA.6904 - 2022-05-25

Steps:
  1. Load attached save.
  2. End turn.
  3. End turn.
Result: game crashes to desktop for both players.

Logs/dumps are attached.

Attachments

• November 13, BC-10479.CivBeyondSwordSave
    6.5 MB · Views: 25
  • Logs-Player1.7z
    576 KB · Views: 22
  • MiniDump-v42.1.BETA.6904-20220429-183848.dmp.7z
    15.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Logs-player0.7z
    577.1 KB · Views: 22
  • MiniDump-v42.1.BETA.6904-20220429-183850.dmp.7z
    15.7 KB · Views: 22
Crash to desktop.
Reproduces consistently.

Build v42.1.BETA.6904 - 2022-05-25

Steps:
  1. Load attached save.
  2. End turn.
  3. End turn.
Result: game crashes to desktop for both players.

Logs/dumps are attached.
Do us a favor and load the game with one of the players and let the other one go unloaded and turned over to the AI, so that it's technically a single player game (on one system) but in MP mode. Save, then end turn. If it crashes, it's probably the same spot, and it would then be much easier to resolve as we could look at the crash spot like we normally would any other. Trying to run under debug with 2 players I find usually itself leads to OOS errors and game corruption of its own due to some disharmony stemming from the VS attachment process entering the picture. This is part of what makes OOS errors hard to work with as well. But being right at the point of being able to end turn and get a crash, you should be able to convert to a single-system process that can still show the crash site and what steps is happening to come up with the crash. That'd make it a little easier on us.

Do us a favor and load the game with one of the players and let the other one go unloaded and turned over to the AI, so that it's technically a single player game (on one system) but in MP mode. Save, then end turn. If it crashes, it's probably the same spot, and it would then be much easier to resolve as we could look at the crash spot like we normally would any other. Trying to run under debug with 2 players I find usually itself leads to OOS errors and game corruption of its own due to some disharmony stemming from the VS attachment process entering the picture. This is part of what makes OOS errors hard to work with as well. But being right at the point of being able to end turn and get a crash, you should be able to convert to a single-system process that can still show the crash site and what steps is happening to come up with the crash. That'd make it a little easier on us.
Loaded the save as player 0, continued the game without player 1 -> result is the same.

Attachments

• MiniDump-v42.1.BETA.6904-20220429-190951.dmp.7z
    15.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Logs.7z
    575 KB · Views: 21
Loaded the save as player 0, continued the game without player 1 -> result is the same.
Great! That helps and we can probably do something with it.

I tried to play this excellent mod with a friend. Started Civ IV with 2015.exe and then Advaned>Load a mod>C2C. Then Multiplayer>Play by Email>New Game.
I make a game (Thimios=Player 1, Fotis=Player2), no passwords, add 1 AI, disable random Events, and Launch. Make a turn, press end turn and the game notifies to send the save to the next player. At the bottom, there is "Game paused by Player 1". I send the file to Player 2 but when he loads the pbem file he gets the message: "Player 1 it's your turn" and shows the city of Player 1 where he can't make any move or end turn. Also at the bottom, there is a "Game paused by Player 1" blinking message. To summarize, we can't play by email. Hope the above helps to find a solution!

*Thanks again for all the work and time you provide*

Attachments

• ThimiosFotis_BC-200000_to_Fotis.CivBeyondSwordSave
    892.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Logs.zip
    275.4 KB · Views: 18
Crash to desktop. Reproduces consistently.

Build v42.1.BETA.7148 - 2022-08-15

STR:
Load attached save.
2. End turn.

Result: game crashes for player #0.
Loaded the game as player #1 (player #1 joined as player #0), it still crashes on my side.

Also crashes arter loading the game and continuing without player #1.

Attachments

• September 13, BC-2030.CivBeyondSwordSave
    10.3 MB · Views: 21
  • Logs Player 0.zip
    326.7 KB · Views: 18
Crash to desktop. Reproduces consistently.

Build v42.1.BETA.7148 - 2022-08-15

STR:
Load attached save.
2. End turn.

Result: game crashes for player #0.
Loaded the game as player #1 (player #1 joined as player #0), it still crashes on my side.

Also crashes arter loading the game and continuing without player #1.
Minidumps are also attached.

Attachments

• Minudumps.zip
    92.7 KB · Views: 17
Consistent repeatable CTD on SVN 11529. Game was originally started on V42 stable. It’s a hotseat game.

Steps to reproduce:

1. You start the game with a group of workers selected. Build a mine. (Screenshot attached)
  2. End turn.
  3. The turn starts with another group of workers selected. Build a mine. (Screenshot attached)
  4. The game crashes.
I have been getting this crash very regularly since I updated from stable to the SVN a couple of days ago. It always happens with workers, sometimes when I try to build something, and I think sometimes when I select them. It took me some time to be able to produce a save that consistently reproduces the crash, so I have plenty of minidumps available if you want.

I have attached my save, the latest logs and minidump. I personally couldn’t find anything in the logs.

Thanks for your help. I also want to tell you what a formidable job you have done these past few years: I have been playing for a while now and I love the level of polish and effort that has gone into the mod.

Attachments

• Files.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • Step 1.png
    Step 1.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 20
  • Step 3.png
    Step 3.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
Consistent repeatable CTD on SVN 11529. Game was originally started on V42 stable. It’s a hotseat game.

Steps to reproduce:

1. You start the game with a group of workers selected. Build a mine. (Screenshot attached)
  2. End turn.
  3. The turn starts with another group of workers selected. Build a mine. (Screenshot attached)
  4. The game crashes.
I have been getting this crash very regularly since I updated from stable to the SVN a couple of days ago. It always happens with workers, sometimes when I try to build something, and I think sometimes when I select them. It took me some time to be able to produce a save that consistently reproduces the crash, so I have plenty of minidumps available if you want.

I have attached my save, the latest logs and minidump. I personally couldn’t find anything in the logs.

Thanks for your help. I also want to tell you what a formidable job you have done these past few years: I have been playing for a while now and I love the level of polish and effort that has gone into the mod.
This was a tricky one, figured it out after 4 hours of investigation, fix on its way to SVN now.
The crash was entirely specific to hotseat game mode and the exe was involved in causing the crash which is why it was tricky to figure out as the exe is a black box.

Top Bottom