Multiplayer issues.

First I'd like to give some observations that might help prevent OOS in MP games:

1) City build and tech pop-up's. It's a great idea to run with Minimize Pop-Up's and always have a unit on Skip Turn so that the pop-up's always minimize. Reason why is that the person that gets a pop-up very easily goes OOS as his/her computer pauses the game. Any one else not finished running through the end turn sequence might not have pertinent information sent to his computer.

2) Events. Not really a problem in it self, only because when an event pops up (which it does first) the person that gets the event might go OOS. If there's a way to "push" the events to minimize as other pop-up's then that wouldn't be a problem. This includes election events like the Apostolic Palace.

3) Great People. Sure, it's great to have a big picture pop up but it can also help causing OOS. If it's possible to "push" that back to a minimized pop-up too it would help avoiding OOS's.

Any of those fixes would be really good to have for MP games if they are possible to do.

Cheers

All these issues look similar to the ones fixed by Afforess in the Abandon City/Sell Buildings mod.

Basically the popups are not using the default messaging between computers and so need to have it coded into them. I think the fix was done to the events for multiple choice selection but the assumption may be that if there is only one choice then OOS can't happen. Your comment on Great People suggests that this is not the case.

At the moment I know enough to probably identify where the problem is but not enough to fix it. :(

All these issues look similar to the ones fixed by Afforess in the Abandon City/Sell Buildings mod.

Basically the popups are not using the default messaging between computers and so need to have it coded into them. I think the fix was done to the events for multiple choice selection but the assumption may be that if there is only one choice then OOS can't happen. Your comment on Great People suggests that this is not the case.

At the moment I know enough to probably identify where the problem is but not enough to fix it. :(

If you know when the similar issues were fixed in AND I may be able to find them in the AND SVN and figure it out

It is Python, you need to expliitly send a net message whenever a player makes a choice. What I don't know is if they have to have a unique id (I expect so) and what ones have been used. the function/method used is called something like NetMessage.

Top Bottom