Multiverse

This is probably a rather generic piece of advice to new players, but it might avert some frustration: If you play to play bigger maps, play a customs game and turn off raging barbs - I played a game on a huge map and four AI civs got eliminated by barbs quite early. I quit after that.

I believe part of the problem is that the barb AI gets "advanced" units too early in this mod. I saw commanders appear about the time I got them (the AI civs didn't have them (on noble)) and saw spearmen appear long before I could build them myself. I wouldn't have minded that so much if not for the fact that the barbs were eliminating my competition ... which makes for a rather boring game.

Other than that I am a bit skeptical about the distribution of the resources working out, but certainly intrigued enough by this interesting concept. Thanks for all the effort in bringing us something nice and new. :)

Most definitely. Turn off barbarians. I also caution against anything larger than Huge worlds and 4 to 6 AI opponents.

Play with the controls before you start a game and look at all options -- I like to turn off city flipping and tech brokering, but that is just me.

Hello I love your mod but i'd like to know if someone knows a method to play it with an existing map (the rhye's earth map for example) ? Is there a system to combine a mod with a map ?

Thanks for your help

Hello I love your mod but i'd like to know if someone knows a method to play it with an existing map (the rhye's earth map for example) ? Is there a system to combine a mod with a map ?

Thanks for your help

It really depends on how the map is setup. Generally, I would say that it is not because specific maps, rather than ones that simply generate a random map, have preexisting statements for specific civilizations and technology, which would cause corruption of the game.

There is some very cool random maps generators out there, adding some interesting unique content (saw one that adds sustainable thunderstorms) but these are random and not specific maps.

Troy

Well I tried during a few hours to adapt Giant Earth Map to your mod and I miserabily failed :( all I got was an error message saying that the program could not read my file.
Here it is attached if someone wants to have a look at it. I don't know why it's not working I first generated a game with the mod choosing the civs with the custom game option and then did some copy / paste with the GEM file to keep locations accurate. But though I spent some time trying to remove things that I thought might be causing the error there's nothing to do to make it work... Too bad I would have dreamt of playing this great mod on GEM.

Attachments

• gem for multiverse.zip
    90 KB · Views: 165
Playing Tips:

#1 Getting hit by barbarians hard? Try building a Commander as they can "steal" any barbarian unit that he defeats in battle.

#2 Sea voyages taking too long? Try building sea lanes. They are essentially a road in the ocean and can be built by a number of ships in the game.

hello whenever I try and start a game with the mod loaded I get this message http://imgur.com/qQ3Jw
is there anyway to fix this?

I have never seen this error before. It is odd that you are getting it. An easy fix is to start Civilization IV with the shift key held down as that will clear the cache -- worth a try.

Is anyone else getting this error?

I found the <bUseLSystem>1</bUseLSystem> in the CIV4ImrovementInfos but it is sketchily used. I could try and patch this, but find it odd that it comes up for you as an error as it seems to work perfectly fine on so many other machines.

I have never seen this error before. It is odd that you are getting it. An easy fix is to start Civilization IV with the shift key held down as that will clear the cache -- worth a try.

Is anyone else getting this error?

I found the <bUseLSystem>1</bUseLSystem> in the CIV4ImrovementInfos but it is sketchily used. I could try and patch this, but find it odd that it comes up for you as an error as it seems to work perfectly fine on so many other machines.

Tried the shift thing, didn't work.
I guess this means I can't fix it?
I'm going to try and see if my sister got our disk and try and reinstall itand see if it works

Tried the shift thing, didn't work.
I guess this means I can't fix it?
I'm going to try and see if my sister got our disk and try and reinstall itand see if it works

I will definitely try and fix this with the next update, whenever that happens I cannot tell. I hope a reinstall fixes this problem because I have not heard of anyone else having it.

It is something to look at, but it is often hard to fix the error when I am not getting it.

Troy:confused:

oaky i reinstalled it although it seems I can't use custom games, Is this something with the mod? Or is it not supposed to happen? Nvm It stopped crashing

oaky i reinstalled it although it seems I can't use custom games, Is this something with the mod? Or is it not supposed to happen? Nvm It stopped crashing

Some of the map scripts seem to cause the game to crash (for me anyway). That may have been your problem. Choosing a different map in custom games always fixes it for me (each time I start a mod I choose "play now" to reset the options otherwise a previous mod can screw those up even in a custom game, so the map I choose may not be a good one and the game will crash if I don't remember to choose a different one).

Hey, folks. This looks like an awfully cool mod, so I figured I'd give it a try, yeah? When I load the mod and it reboots, I get a list of errors I have to click 'ok' on that basically say that various maps failed to load. It looks like this;

The first window says a traceback failed, lists a line and clicking 'OK' says Python failed to load a map. This continues for, from what I can tell, all of the vanilla maps.

When I try to start a map, the game just crashes on me. The crash is just a generic 'Civ 4 BTS has encountered a problem and needs to close.'

I'd like to play the mod, but at the moment it doesn't seem like it'll be cooperative, and I'm not particularly savvy with python modification to be able to tell what the issue is. Anyone else having this problem? I should mention that on the Steam version of the game.

Edit; Actually, this issue seems to be across the entire game, all of a sudden... I can no longer play Civs 4! I'm reinstalling it to see if something got corrupted by the mod maybe? Not sure how that would have happened since it's in the Mods folder and all. Has anyone else had this kind of issue before?

Turn python error reports off*---those often are minor and you can play without them (it's the XML errrors that are more important). Also, some of the map scripts with this mod crash while loading, so choose a different map if it happens. From what I can tell, this mod was never finished, so some errors are going to happen (ie, the python ones).

*and if you aren't "savvy" in python, those reports won't mean much to you anyway

Turn python error reports off*---those often are minor and you can play without them (it's the XML errrors that are more important). Also, some of the map scripts with this mod crash while loading, so choose a different map if it happens. From what I can tell, this mod was never finished, so some errors are going to happen (ie, the python ones).

*and if you aren't "savvy" in python, those reports won't mean much to you anyway

Actually the mod, like all mods here, is never really finished and only waiting for the next revision. Civilization IV is a modder's playground. I could continually toy with new ideas and concepts.

With that being said, this mod was actually based off from the Thomas' War mod and most of the errors you see with reporting on comes from the original mod.

I agree with this post that you should turn that off as it only causes problems.

Start with Archipelago or Continents as I know they work. I have never gotten a map loading error?

Are you talking about some form of pre-generated map with specific civilizations or maps generated by other users or mods? If so, they will not work nor were intended to work in this mod.

Let me know if you get any further and if you see anything that you would like changed or modified.

Edit; Actually, this issue seems to be across the entire game, all of a sudden... I can no longer play Civs 4! I'm reinstalling it to see if something got corrupted by the mod maybe? Not sure how that would have happened since it's in the Mods folder and all. Has anyone else had this kind of issue before?

I cannot see how my mod would affect Civilization IV since it is a separate folder placed in the mods directory. I have never head of this before.

I wonder if you tried loading another mod that uses the BUG modules, as that could have some long term effect on other mods?

Bear Cult cities have the Sikhism symbol.
The religion is often referred to in the Civilopedia as Voudoun (sp?).
If you build the wonder it takes away 1 gold per city.

I cannot see how my mod would affect Civilization IV since it is a separate folder placed in the mods directory. I have never head of this before.

I wonder if you tried loading another mod that uses the BUG modules, as that could have some long term effect on other mods?

That's what I'm saying, I don't understand how that could be possible. I have been playing Destiny, which also uses BUG, but I don't try to load the two mods at the same time- since Steam doesn't allow me to use shortcuts to load mods, I have to load the vanilla game back up any time I want to play a mod anyways.

I'm not entirely sure what happened either way- even with Archipelago, every time I try to run a map, even with vanilla BTS, after a complete uninstall and reinstall, results in a generic windows crash.

Bear Cult cities have the Sikhism symbol.
The religion is often referred to in the Civilopedia as Voudoun (sp?).
If you build the wonder it takes away 1 gold per city.

Religion has always been a real pain in the a$$ in this mod. Every time I think I got it solved, it does something wacky.

Are you saying all wonders take 1 gold per city?

Top Bottom