1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Music Files Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Steampunk Scenario' started by Balthasar, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Sir Sam Vimes

Sir Sam Vimes Duke of Ankh

I for one forgive you the slip, given that you live up to your title and know basically everything else :bowdown:

2. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

I've got you fooled, anyway. :D

3. Sir Sam Vimes

;) lol

4. Sir Sam Vimes

in the middle of my exams, so apologies for brevity. DL'd all trax and started trying to glue them together. What about 'mars' from the planets suite for angry diplo? And this for human era four :)

5. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Holst's Mars? That's public domain (I think), so it could be used if it fits. The Angels & Airwaves piece doesn't move me, for several reasons, not the least of which is that, having found an ample supply of music that we know we can use legally, we should see what we can do with it before adding music of more questionable availability. Your own compositions are perfectly allowable though, and I'm ramping up my own midi ability, so, don't worry, we will have alot more music to work with in the near future...

6. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

The performance recorded may be protected, iirc. I think he's referring to the VP version, which we have permission for.

7. Sir Sam Vimes

;)
    I was referring to that. Its coming along nicely: I've been pretty sick, whcih has slowed me down a bit, but at least meant that I had nothing else to do. I hope to have some stuuf up here son. When I post stuuf, of course, its just goona be a 'first draft' so to speak, so feel free to criticise it as much as necessary. I'm only here to help carry out everyone else's vision;)

8. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

I'm glad you're still working on it, Sir Sam. Sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well; I had a summer cold recently and I was miserable for two weeks. If you were sicker than that, I totally sympathize.

I'm almost done (finally) debugging the units* - it's taken better than a year, thanks to computer crashes and a series of RL crises - so about the time you finish the music, I'll be able to provide you a beta to test it with. I love it when a plan comes together....

*See the screenshots pages of the Lost Worlds Thread for evidence of progress.

9. Sir Sam Vimes

I got shingles brought on by being almost permanently on antibiotics from december 2010 to may...

at least i'm enjoying this. For some reason, steampunk always cheers me up... I've been reading China Miéville's Bas-Lag books recently and they just prove that steampunk works with absolutely anything. Gothic fantasy? Check. Vampires? Check. Sea monsters? Check. Pirates? Check. Quantum theory? Check. Espionage? Check. An emotionally-stunted philologist as a heroine? Check. and that's just The Scar...

10. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Shingles? Ouch! Poor lad...now you really have my sympathy!

Sounds like another set of books need to be added to my library, too. ;)

11. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Shingles as in Herpes? Yuck!

12. Sir Sam Vimes

Yeah. Just read all his stuff :D

He was on Radio 4 yesterday... there was a programme at 11.30 am about SF and gender

and no... shingles as in adult chickenpox, not the contagious (herpes) strain. I can count myself lucky I didn't get that!

13. KingArthur

KingArthur Searching for the Holy Grail

14. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

15. T-mun

T-mun King Numa

:bump: Sorry, I had to share this with you :D

16. Sir Sam Vimes

AT LAST!

After some intervention from real life (I haven't even played Civ for 2 months, let alone modded...), I'm in a good situation music-wise! I recently aquired a high-spec notebook, pimped it out with production software and here's a teaser of what I've been working on...

This is the first wav track for the 'asian' (atlantis/underworld) culture for the ancient era. Its so short because it only plays in a loop until you build your first city, and then it appears at the start of the final, full ancient era mp3... (currently in progress...)

Nothing is mastered yet, that'll wait until all tracks both background and diplo are done so the volume levels are standardised...

And remember, these are just demos, so any constructive criticism is much appreciated :)

Attached Files:

17. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Lovely tune. A suggestion: mix (if you can) this sound under that one -

View attachment 308767

To give it a bit of 'underwater lung' feel. Alternatively, hissing steam and echoey random clanks might conjur a 'submarine' feel.

Looking forward to more...

18. Sir Sam Vimes

Thanks for that piece of music! Its going in...

Steam fx in later eras... I reckon :)

And thanks for the encouragement: it means a lot!