Music of Civ VI

Wow, the Nubian theme origin was figured out before I got an answer from Geoff Knorr....:eek:

It was a weird coincidence! I happened to be listening to that particular track yesterday for my research; I was quite surprised at this too.

I didn't realize throat-singing was a Mongolian thing; I thought it was unique to the Inuit and Sami.

The Samis don't do throat singing, but here's a fun fact: throat singing is usually done by men in Asia (mostly by Mongolians and Tuvans as far as my research has shown), but by women in polar America. ^^

The Samis don't do throat singing
No, but Sami shamanic chants are similar to throat-singing. Inuit throat-singing isn't shamanic, however.

Here's a video of Allah Musau on youtube:

And another song Salaam Ya, whose name I found in the DLC Music Bank

Here's the full list of the song names in the Music Bank
Nubia_Ancient_Theme_Lyre-Ney-Drum
Nubia_Ancient_DrumsOnly3
Nubia_Ancient_Zafa_NeyOnly
Nubia_Industrial
Nubia_Medieval
Nubia_Ancient_Theme_LyreOnly
Nubia_Ancient_DrumsOnly2
Nubia_Ancient_DrumsOnly1
Nubia_Ancient_SalaamYa_Lyre-Ney-Drum
Nubia_Ancient_Theme_NeyOnly
Nubia_Ancient_SalaamYa_NeyOnly
Nubia_Ancient_Zafa_Lyre-Ney-Drum
Nubia_Atomic

Unfortunately, the YouTube links don't work for me, probably because they aren't open for access by European Internet users. :(

Mr Knorr's response to my questions:

Good to hear from you again! Nubia was a particularly interesting civ to compose music for because while very ancient, does still have an active culture and unique musical tradition, with most Nubians now living in Cairo. The main theme is based on two Nubian folk songs, Allah Musau and Zafa. Zafa is a traditional wedding song and Allah Musau is a song sung for babies, but I have also seen it performed at Nubian wedding celebrations as well.
I contacted several Nubian musicians while developing the music, but unfortunately none were available for recording. The ney in the ancient and medieval eras is performed by Sandro Friedrich.

So it seems like there is another song inspiration for Nubia's themes, Zafa.

Mr Knorr's response to my questions:

Good to hear from you again! Nubia was a particularly interesting civ to compose music for because while very ancient, does still have an active culture and unique musical tradition, with most Nubians now living in Cairo. The main theme is based on two Nubian folk songs, Allah Musau and Zafa. Zafa is a traditional wedding song and Allah Musau is a song sung for babies, but I have also seen it performed at Nubian wedding celebrations as well.
I contacted several Nubian musicians while developing the music, but unfortunately none were available for recording. The ney in the ancient and medieval eras is performed by Sandro Friedrich.

So it seems like there is another song inspiration for Nubia's themes, Zafa.

Can I just say that I really appreciate your effort in reaching out to the composers on behalf of us! Thanks!

Can someone identify the specific parts of the track inspired by / based on Zafa? I don't have access to the videos of the original tracks from the Aswan Folkloric that the themes are based on (as I'm in Europe).

Can someone identify the specific parts of the track inspired by / based on Zafa? I don't have access to the videos of the original tracks from the Aswan Folkloric that the themes are based on (as I'm in Europe).

The music that starts around 0:56 sounds the most like a part in Zafa.
Bum Bum Ba Bum! Bum Bum Ba Bum! :D

I certainly think Baba Yetu was the best main theme for Civ, and Civ IV had excellent wonder and background music. Wasn't as fond of the leader music though; I think V and VI did much better with that.

I certainly think Baba Yetu was the best main theme for Civ, and Civ IV had excellent wonder and background music. Wasn't as fond of the leader music though; I think V and VI did much better with that.

Yeah, some of Civ IV's leader themes are pretty good, but they're musically quite basic. The move to recording with a real orchestra in V and VI was a really good move. However Civ IV had a larger library of original and licenced music in the background (my highlights are Dvořak and Adams). Civ VI relies on a lot less music, so it gets repetitive more quickly. The standard of the pieces is very high though.

Agreed that some Civ IV leader themes were good in that they were memorable (I can still remember Justinian's choir and Charlemagne's Sumerian-inspired (odd) theme).

I do wonder why they stopped using licensed music for VI--as far as I know, all the background music was composed in-house (with the assistance of some outside musicians for the ancient and atomic themes). V and IV both used licensed music, though IV's selection was better.

Yeah, some of Civ IV's leader themes are pretty good, but they're musically quite basic. The move to recording with a real orchestra in V and VI was a really good move. However Civ IV had a larger library of original and licenced music in the background (my highlights are Dvořak and Adams). Civ VI relies on a lot less music, so it gets repetitive more quickly. The standard of the pieces is very high though.
The chief thing that stands out in my mind about Civ4's music was the easy listening that played in the modern era and made me want to tear my ears off. :p

Baba Yetu is easily the best music in the entire history of the Civilization series.

Good thing Tin returned for Sogno di Volare, which is easily the second best music.

My favorite is still the Arabian theme, the Banat Iskandaria. I always thought it was an interesting melody, really has the melodic minor feel to it, but it's usually played much faster and feels rushed to the listener, or at least to a western listener.
I prefer the medieval version best, as the ancient version seems to drag and the more modern era versions sound too westernized.

I also like it because it works well with the instrument that I play. I play double bass (or upright bass... basically the six-foot tall violin), and I've messed around with it. The first melodic line sounds great pizzicato in the higher register, and the second melodic line sounds great arco in the middle register. I'm working on arranging it for a double bass quartet, with fourth seat playing percussion by tapping the bass's ribs and upper/lower bout. Hoping the bass section in my orchestra will play along and the conductor will let us play it.

Top Bottom