Music of Civ VI

I also kinda hope that Civ VII will bring peace/war theme system (along with Civ V style graphics and leaderscreens). It has been already mentioned that especially Brazilian and Kongolese themes are really strange to listen when you nuke someone. At least there are some darker themes, like Norway, Japan, Germany, Scythia, and soon Mongolia, but still...

In Civ V, every war theme was special because you could easily imagine the war (well... almost every... *looks at Siam*). When I hear Denmark, I imagine incoming Danish fleet. When I hear Persia, I imagine sorrow. Arabia sounds like an incoming army and then a battle in hot desert. Mongolia is like army of Mongols attacking and burning a city. Even Morocco, which is hated by many people. When I hear it, I imagine a night battle in desert and sorrow of Moroccans. And take Field of Poppies, which makes you feel bad for nuking someone or attacking weaker and innocent Civ.

When I hear Brazil after nuking someone, I can only imagine people celebrating it in carnival.

Not saying that Civ VI music is bad. When you hear American Atomic theme when you're finishing the space race, it's really beautiful and atmospheric. But it's not exactly the best music to listen to when you're in a war.

Hey! Don't diss Ramkhamhaeng War theme! I can easily imagine the conflict from that music! :gripe:You just need to be more familiar with Southeast Asian music.

Hey! Don't diss Ramkhamhaeng War theme! I can easily imagine the conflict from that music! :gripe:You just need to be more familiar with Southeast Asian music.
Sorry. I can imagine some war elephant marching through a jungle, but I just think that especially the last part when the flute comes in sounds too peaceful :p

I can't wait for Geoff Knorr to post the First Listen for the Mapuche themes on Youtube.
I'm not an expert on traditional Mapuche music, so I'm not sure what to expect....

I can't wait for Geoff Knorr to post the First Listen for the Mapuche themes on Youtube.
I'm not an expert on traditional Mapuche music, so I'm not sure what to expect....

I searched for "Mapuche" instruments, and I saw these hose-like trumpets:

We might hear them, but I hope that panpipes won't be used, since I want them reserved for the Incas.

I searched for "Mapuche" instruments, and I saw these hose-like trumpets:

We might hear them, but I hope that panpipes won't be used, since I want them reserved for the Incas.

I would be impressed if Geoff Knorr actually contacted Mapuche musicians/singers to perform in the themes. It's less likely than the Cree (due to the distance between Chile and US), but possible.

The Mapuche have one of the most subdued Industrial themes in the game, and their Atomic theme reminds me somewhat more of other civs' Industrial. I'm not complaining; many of the Atomic themes are too bombastic for my tastes.

This popped up in my fb timeline this morning...

New Album by Christopher Tin (Baba Yetu, Civilization)

About:
Spoiler :

'To Shiver the Sky' is my third album, and is a musical exploration of mankind's conquest of the sky. From Leonardo da Vinci to Jules Verne, I'll be setting to music the words of the great scientists, stargazers, and storytellers who dared to look at the heavens and imagine their place among the stars.

Like with my first album 'Calling All Dawns' and its title track 'Baba Yetu' (the first piece of video game music to win a Grammy) I'll be basing this album on a piece I wrote for the 'Civilization' game franchise: "Sogno di Volare", the theme to Civilization VI. It's a triumphant ode to mankind's aspirations; a choral anthem that uses Da Vinci's writings on flight as a reminder that we, as humans, are capable of achieving great things.

The album will be recorded at the legendary Abbey Road Studios with my longtime collaborators, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. It will feature an international roster of singers and soloists, performing in a multitude of languages.

And like my first two albums, 'To Shiver the Sky' continues my exploration of the world around us. 'Calling All Dawns' took us on a journey from day to dawn; 'The Drop That Contained the Sea' traced a single drop of water as it cycled from sky to stream to sea. This time I'll be taking our shared hopes, dreams, and fears, and launching them skywards. I invite you to join me on the journey.

About:
Spoiler :

'To Shiver the Sky' is my third album, and is a musical exploration of mankind's conquest of the sky. From Leonardo da Vinci to Jules Verne, I'll be setting to music the words of the great scientists, stargazers, and storytellers who dared to look at the heavens and imagine their place among the stars.

Like with my first album 'Calling All Dawns' and its title track 'Baba Yetu' (the first piece of video game music to win a Grammy) I'll be basing this album on a piece I wrote for the 'Civilization' game franchise: "Sogno di Volare", the theme to Civilization VI. It's a triumphant ode to mankind's aspirations; a choral anthem that uses Da Vinci's writings on flight as a reminder that we, as humans, are capable of achieving great things.

The album will be recorded at the legendary Abbey Road Studios with my longtime collaborators, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. It will feature an international roster of singers and soloists, performing in a multitude of languages.

And like my first two albums, 'To Shiver the Sky' continues my exploration of the world around us. 'Calling All Dawns' took us on a journey from day to dawn; 'The Drop That Contained the Sea' traced a single drop of water as it cycled from sky to stream to sea. This time I'll be taking our shared hopes, dreams, and fears, and launching them skywards. I invite you to join me on the journey.
This is exciting!

Although I wonder if there will be a new theme for Rise & Fall? If so they’ve kept it very quiet.

Last edited:

Based on what little I know of Mapuche music (mainly those used for Leugi's Mapuche mod for Civ5), this music seems accurate. Kudos to Roland Rizzo and the others for working on these themes!

Based on what little I know of Mapuche music (mainly those used for Leugi's Mapuche mod for Civ5), this music seems accurate. Kudos to Roland Rizzo and the others for working on these themes!
What themes are the inspiration for the Mapuche music? I'm not as fond of the music as compared to the Cree, but it's certainly not bad.

What themes are the inspiration for the Mapuche music? I'm not as fond of the music as compared to the Cree, but it's certainly not bad.

I can't tell, but I will ask Geoff Knorr about the musical inspiration for the Mapuche themes soon. I know Roland Rizzo composed them, but Knorr is more receptive to fan questions...

About:
Spoiler :

Awesome stuff! I pledged immediately. :)

I'm actually looking forward to hearing the First Listen for the Zulu themes. I'll probably already be on the plane when that gets uploaded though. :cry:

Top Bottom