1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My 80K game journal

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Moonsinger, May 22, 2004.

1. binyo66

binyo66 King

Great, I forgot about "production bonus." :(. U r right, most likely she got more units than she could afford it. But, it brings up another question, why russia picked up mayan for the war? because mayan owe a lot of money? because mayan was the weakest? neighbour? or russia was AI :D?

2. ossi

ossi Chieftain

Why did you choose "sedentary barbarians"? Aren't "no barbarians" better, since you can't get settlers or techs in SID-level anyway!? But I think the AI can get techs or settlers. Or am I wrong?

3. Moonsinger

Moonsinger Settler Retired Moderator

I'm not sure why she ran out of money. My guess is that some of her gpt deals with other civs ran out and she didn't readjust her science slider.

4. Moonsinger

My Mayan was the weakest civ of all until the end.:) Most of the time, I got less than 200 military units while each of the AI had at least 400 or more. Even for Sumerians and Koreans, most of their forces were archers and spears which can't possibly stand a chance against my muskets and cavalry, but according to my advisor, they had a much stronger military. When I asked them to leave, they declared - very typical of them.

Anyway, at that time, the Russia and Persia had the most advance troops in the world. They already got a ton of Infantrymans when they declared war on me. In any case, they were absolutely no threat to me at all .:) Because I was on a different and far away continent, other than landing a few units trying to take my undefended palace now and then, I have never seen the AI mounting any major offensive away from their home continent. I guess we could say that an archipelago map is an exploit because the AI don't know how to wage war on this type of map.

5. Moonsinger

You are absolutely right that the AI can get techs and settlers from the huts on Sid and the human player can't. "No barbrians" may be a much better setting for Sid. In this case, I forgot to turn it off, but it was no big deal. Since I initially built workers for exploration and no military unit, it was impossible to get barb from the huts.

6. binyo66

binyo66 King

@moonsinger by not having a military units how did u set the luxs. slider in the beginning of the game? do u think it's the best not to have any military unit in the beginning of the game or just for SID level? is it possible to get warrior from the hut in SID?

BTW, sorry too many questions :D

7. Aeson

Aeson orangesoda Retired Moderator

You can get warriors, maps, and gold from huts on Sid.

8. Moonsinger

I did get warriors from a couple huts at the beginning, but just disbanded them for shields. Note: Just as long as we don't have any military unit, we don't get barbs from the huts. After all the near by huts were popped, I kept a warrior from the outer huts and sent him to explore the outer ring while ordered my workered to start building road back. Overall, I got two warriors for shields and a few stack of gold (25g each).:) May be that was the reason why I subconsciously selected "sedentary barbs" rather than "no barbs" at the time.

9. Offa

Offa Bretwalda

Sorry to hear of your retirement. Civ is pretty addictive, but a relatively harmless addiction. If only it was faster to play.

How long did this game take? It seems these HOF milked games are particularly onerous judging from SirPleb's game. Brilliant game to finish with though.

10. Moonsinger

11. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

This may sound strange, or at least I find it strange... the 9% interest rate happens because of the aggression level setting (which I found out last year in the Sid XOTM game, which I never finished or submitted). Had this game gotten played on "normal" aggression or some other level, you couldn't get 18 gold for 1 gpt... it's more like 14 gold for 1 gpt or something like that say on normal aggression. This has nothing to do with the level of the game.