My attempt to make a tutorial for struggling Regent players

I enjoyed your tutorial and learned from it. I appreciate the time you took to do it.

One thing it points out to me is that, like many players, I overbuild buildings in the early game.

Hi vmxa, good work.

Just interested to ask though, would you be willing to make a similar tutorial but for slightly higher difficulty, say Deity?

I would recommend Drakan's article for a first Deity win, with perhaps the modification that you don't need to put the aggressiveness at maximum. In my opinion, you'd find it easier to play as a careful builder than a warmonger. But, even if you want to win by conquest or domination, the basic idea of tech-surfing and cashing in on it at Demi-God/Deity can help A LOT. Perhaps this game ends up a little too advanced to serve as a tutorial, but you might find it interesting reading anyways.

189 military victories vs 1 military defeat?

Are you sure all those victories were just luck, or was there some saving-and-reloading going on?

What are hardest to believe are your earliest battles, before you have access to significant bombardment units, and when you have tech parity with the AI and thus do not have overpowered military units.

I find it very, very difficult to believe those RNG stats.

Hi vmxa, good work.

Just interested to ask though, would you be willing to make a similar tutorial but for slightly higher difficulty, say Deity?

Thanks Mike. I always felt that player going beyond emperor does not need any help. They are probably aware of all the concept and tactics.

I had considered doing one for Monarch as that could have been useful to some, but there just are not enough players left playing to make it worth the work. I have not seen enough posters asking for help over Regent, plus there are lots of SG's around on Monarch/Emp to read.

Are you sure all those victories were just luck, or was there some saving-and-reloading going on?

What are hardest to believe are your earliest battles, before you have access to significant bombardment units, and when you have tech parity with the AI and thus do not have overpowered military units.

Thanks for the vote fo confidence. Not all that much luck involved I would expect. I do not recall the game at this point, but I would guess that I had fewer than a half a dozens battles that were close to being even.

It is not my style to give them a fair fight. The earliest were probably vet or elite archers on regular warriors or maybe a regular archer, all defense 1. Maybe one vet warrior attacked by a regular warrior, with my defender on better ground, maybe even fortified. Maybe even backed by an archer.

Then swords (vets) on warriors and archer and so on. What would be the point of reloading anyway? I have not reread it, but I would bet they never put any attack in on a town where they had a chance to take it down.

So what are talking about, maybe not losing a unit or 3? Not much of a concern as the point of the tutorial is not to not lose a unit, but rather how to go about keeping the AI from doing well.

LOL totally agree with this! :lol: I'll just say that for me, to get even one third of that score in battle, I'd have to sacrifice a newborn to the RNG gods, or plain old reload.

Top Bottom