1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My idea for a new weapon

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by 5StarGen.Xeno, Jun 9, 2007.

1. 5StarGen.Xeno

5StarGen.Xeno Chieftain

you know in the game you get to drop an atomic bomb yes. But would it be awsome to build one as powerful as you want it to be? Like you can choose between how powerful it is, maybe it would be longer to make if it is more powerful but you get my point. It would also be cool to do the same thing with hydrogen bombs too right. And although i am not really sure, i think the Tsar bomb (most powerful bomb ever) is a hydrogen bomb. So that would be the most powerful bomb in the game. Cool right? :)

2. Solver

Solver Civ4/5 beta tester

Did you know you can build multiple nukes and launch several at once for a more powerful effect, so to speak?

3. 5StarGen.Xeno

5StarGen.Xeno Chieftain

yeah i did but it i think it would be better using my idea :)

4. Preacherman

Preacherman Chieftain

That reminds me of Alpha Centauri, where different reactor types gave different sized effects.

5. Atreyu

Atreyu Chieftain

how do you launch multiple nukes?

6. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

^Launch one, it hits, then launch another. There's no way to launch more than one at the exact same time, but it doesn't really matter since Civ is a turn-based game.

They could do this to a degree, perhaps make a nuke with one higher radius of affect, or a bomber-dropped nuke (so Satellites are not required), but it would be slightly unfun if someone dropped a nuke on you that obliterated your entire continent.

7. Solver

Solver Civ4/5 beta tester

Actually, if you select several nukes with shift or ctrl-clicking, you can launch them at once. If you launch multiple ones, the graphical effect is more powerful.

8. jftsang

jftsang Chieftain

I don't like this idea really, Solver has pointed out why.

9. jftsang

jftsang Chieftain

I think we also need other things like this:

Nuke: as is the nuke presented
    Tactical Nuke: only fires a short range, but is movable. Does not cause splash damage
    Cruise Missile: does not leave fallout
    Armageddon Device: destroys much more than the ordinary Nuke does e.g. three squares spread

how about an EMP thing that cancels out the effects of the Computers and Robotics tech in the land nearby?

10. anima36

anima36 Chieftain

well in the modern world it seems to wholly possible to build a bomb as powerful as we chose. the largest ever designed was the original tsar bomba at 100megatons, thats 100,000,000 tons(or tonnes cant remember) of TNT, the one they built had half that power, it was also one of the cleanest bombs ever produced with the fallout of a fission based weapon of 3% of its size. the other 97% of its power came through fusion. there is a very large crater where this bomb went of, a 1gigaton bomb(equivalent to a billion tons of TNT) was proposed to be built in case an asteroid headed for earth needs to be put off course however saftey implications meant the idea was turned down.

11. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I would add neutron bomb: kills a lot of pop and units,but leaves tile improvements and city buidings as they were. Maybe launching it could be considered a atrocity ( -2 on top of the nuke standart ).
    I would also had boat bombs, missile bombs, bomber based bombs and of course the russian suitcase atomic bomb ( looking at the graphics of BTS, maybe that one may be in game ( the guy with the :nuke: suitcase( i don't belive that he is transporting radioactive isotopes for a hospital X ray machine :lol: ))

12. Vox Mentis

Vox Mentis Chieftain

After a certain point, it becomes counterproductive to make a nuclear weapon larger - the Tsar Bomba went past that point. There's a reason modern nuclear weapons are much smaller than that, and it's not because large ones are harder to make. Large nukes were useful when they were likely to miss their targets by several kilometres, but modern ones are much more precise, so they don't have to be quite so massive. You'd end up wasting a lot of explosive power blasting empty fields and sky.

Smaller (tactical) nukes would be much more useful, in real life and in civ. If you need more, you can launch more than one. Say you need either one Tsar Bomba sized nuke, or 3 tactical nukes to do the same thing. For the cost of one Tsar Bomba, you could probably build 6 or more tactical nukes.

13. Colossian

Colossian Chieftain

Correct. It's useful againt AI. Normally AI intercepts 3 or 4 of 5. so at least one will expolode. If you launch each, all nukes will be unsuccessful.

14. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I figured that suitcase guy was a corporation man, one of the "suits" you send out to spread your business.