My Rhye's and Fall: Europe Logs

but then it wouldnt be historical!

You aren't forced to play historical. I try to be a powerful as possible. For instance, I never build Leon as the Capital of Spain, but Valadolid. Not historical, but Valadolid is much stronger. (access to river, more food in the BFC so it can grow bigger, some extra resources) If you want to play historical, go ahead, but sometimes you'll have to play ahistorical, because then it will be easier.

I think you're gonna love this, I know I did.

Fourteenth Game- Portugal:
It's time for Portugal. after the auto play I though about the city placement for a bit, and then moved Lisbon one tile to the north to get the fish and iron.
From the beginning I was counting on the Cordoban cities, thinking of ways to take them, but then I saw the horrible Spanish placement and though:"That's a shame, such good land gone to waste...". I sent my initial horse archer north to explore and check on the Spanish cities, and lo and behold, Santiago had only two crossbowmen. I sent my Knights of Avis and Axemen over there, it fell easily. Next I razed Madrid, and the Spanish collapsed. I razed Leon (With a catapult to help the poor Knights) and Santander, and settled Faro and Berga I traded around some techs, and started building Armored Lancers and Trebuchets for Cordoba. A turn after I declared war they collapsed, and my newly upgraded knights took Cordoba and razed everything else. I settled , Zamora, Coruna and Valencia. The french took Pamplona and bombed it with and artist, so it encompassed some territory. In the world Germany and France were the powerhouses with Venice and Norse close behind, and the spanish managed to reemerge and collapse without me noticing.
A picture of Iberia:
Spoiler :

I then proceeded to raze the Cordoban cities and North Africa and re-settled Tanger and then Casablanca.
The reformation came along, I converted alongside Norse (founder), France, Burgundy, England, Sweden and Rome(!!!!):
Spoiler :

After that I settled the islands, founding Ponta Delgada, La Plamas de Gran Canaria and Valverde. That was UHV No.1, and then came year 1640, UHV No.2:
Spoiler :

After that, It was just continuing getting those colonies. I got Aztec Conquest, Indian Trading Post, East Africa, Gold Coast and Hispaniola. I would have finished before 1640 but the English stole my Cuba.
Spoiler :

Portuguese UHV, check!
The world when I won:
Spoiler :

Additional Info:
Spoiler :

What's next? I'm not sure. Ideas?

someone suggested Sweden earlier and im interested in a game where i can actually see Line Infantry in action

someone suggested Sweden earlier and im interested in a game where i can actually see Line Infantry in action

Sweden is too easy. I once won a domination victory with them, since even your smallest cities can produce a Karolin within four turns, so I took over Muscovy and Germany and Morocco. It would be fun to see the Swedish takeover, though :p.

Has anyone done Genoa yet?

As said before, I posted Genoa already.

Sorry about the delay, haven't got a lot of time for Civ nowadays, but I guess I'll to Sweden next. Too bad the AI Norse can't settle properly.

WTF? Protestant Rome? That's wrong on so many levels. It's not even the holy city anymore.

I'm waiting to see Sweden

Sorry for not posting for a while, had other concerns on my mind (Magic: The Gathering National Championship for anyone it might mean something to). Been working on an England that will be poster soon after I return from vacation (a week from now). After that I'll do Sweden, although the Norse suck at city placing.

So, which civ should I do next (Hurry before I decide on my own, you can make a difference! :p)?

Hey, lets play as Poland.
I don't know if only I cannot manage to play this civ, or this is something natural and everyone has the same problems. I played them 3 times with different strategies, but I'm simply unable to win.

UHV to have the biggest population was impossible for me because of stability and those stupid plagues, from which you cannot defend - neither having good health nor mercantilism and no foreign trade (btw: in Poland historically there were no plague so I don't understand this feature...) - maybe "plague immune" should be a national power for Poland?

UHV to have highest faith points number is hard as well - it is enough work to defend from Barbarians (especially Mongols) as well as neighbours like Norse, Germans, Hungarians or Austrians. You want rather go for barracks, city walls and a lot of military (few times downsides to almost 0 by plagues) than temples, cathedrals etc. You could always switch to orthodoxy or protestantism, but then UHV is gone...

UHV to not loose a city is actually the only one I could achieve.

I don't know, either Poland is so heavy unbalanced or I do something wrong?

Sorry for not posting for a while, had other concerns on my mind (Magic: The Gathering National Championship for anyone it might mean something to). Been working on an England that will be poster soon after I return from vacation (a week from now). After that I'll do Sweden, although the Norse suck at city placing.
Nice! you could play Viking Norse until Sweden spawns
Hey, lets play as Poland.
I don't know if only I cannot manage to play this civ, or this is something natural and everyone has the same problems. I played them 3 times with different strategies, but I'm simply unable to win.

UHV to have the biggest population was impossible for me because of stability and those stupid plagues, from which you cannot defend - neither having good health nor mercantilism and no foreign trade (btw: in Poland historically there were no plague so I don't understand this feature...) - maybe "plague immune" should be a national power for Poland?

UHV to have highest faith points number is hard as well - it is enough work to defend from Barbarians (especially Mongols) as well as neighbours like Norse, Germans, Hungarians or Austrians. You want rather go for barracks, city walls and a lot of military (few times downsides to almost 0 by plagues) than temples, cathedrals etc. You could always switch to orthodoxy or protestantism, but then UHV is gone...

UHV to not loose a city is actually the only one I could achieve.

I don't know, either Poland is so heavy unbalanced or I do something wrong?

Poland may get the stability area expanded (Lithuania) so more cities=more Faith Points

I'm back!

Fifteenth Game- England:
When I first tried playing as England, I had some trouble with the Mega-France I encountered. At one of the autoplays I suddenly saw a French respawn note. That means they crashed once and my life will be much easier.
So, after the autolplay I settled London, and because they crashed France was not in war with me. Caen, Calais and York flipped, and I settled Monmoth in wales. I built a small army and hit Paris, taking it with a few Armored Lancers. France collapsed soon afterwards:
Spoiler :

After that I conquered Edinburgh, Dublin and Nantes and settled brest, Wick and Plymoth. I think that it was after hitting guilds that my economy started to balance, but it might have been Banking. Getting through the early game was tough with Norse, Spain, Kiev (They survived the Mongols!!) and Austria teching pretty hard. I vassalized Germany that suffered the barbarian start syndrome, Moscow, Poland and Burgundy, and founded the Hansetic League. Along the way I got a crusade and took Jerusalem and Sour. As I finished the stabilization process the time came for my first UHV, but I was missing some cities so I reloaded and settled Bantry in western Irland and a city in western France. I got my First UHV, and here's my Empire:
Spoiler :

A little bit before that I had a race for the Bibliotheca (which as you see I won) and I got Renaissance Art, which gave me all sorts of goddies. I also had a though fight with Austria for the Gardens of Al-Andalus (Why the hell would a 5 people city need it?!!? London needs it!), which I eventually won. I also recently started a golden age which was the tipping point for my technological advancement. I got Protestanism, and I was joined by Sweden (That collapsed the Norse), Austria and Bulgaria.
After teching, teching and some more teching I hit the Colony mark.
Spoiler :

After I researched the Nationalism area of the tech tree for it's wonders (St. Basil, Versailles) and great people, I decided to beeling the Industrial Revolution, so I went the the tech tree and clicked on it.
While I got there I built every single wonder and every single colony, and Germany Collapsed, so Netherlands joined the union. Passed some more turns and finelly at 1693 I got the revolution, and a turn later the win. England, check!
Spoiler :

The world when I won:
Spoiler :

Additional Info:
Spoiler :

A few notes:
1. The English start is tough with all these cities flipping and hitting your economy, but you can recover after a while. I think that if the AI would settle Caen less often it would be easier.
2. A few nice things happened in this game: Kiev survived the mongols, Arabia collapsed and reemerged a couple of times, Turkey didn't start strong at all, Byzantium still had chunks of Anatolia so it took the Turks some time to get strong, Hungary collapsed and Austria claimed the territory, Spain engulfed Portugal after taking Lisbon and then vassalizing them. Interesting developments.
3. Islam was founded in Sour :crazyeye:

Well, before I move one to Beta 2 for only one or too games (All I'm gonna have time for) I wanted to post my scoreboard. Enjoy.
Spoiler :

Next game:
People wanted Sweden, but the Norse settling pissed me off and playing Norse until they Swedish spawn is too much for me. How bad do you want Sweden?
Any other suggestions/wishes?

A question: Will some of you still be here after Civ 5? It might take me some time to get it (I might even wait out the expansions, not sure yet, although it's unlikely) and I might find time to play some Civ 4, but I probably won't do it if I have no audience ;)

ill still be reading even if i dont play Civ4. also i think Civking suggested playing as the Norse until the Swedes spawn so why not just do that?

Keep it up! It is good for both players strategy-wise and us modders fixing-wise!

I will for as long as I can, which is around a week and a half. After that I will barely have time.
@Duke: Like I said, it feels too time consuming, and I wouldn't be able to stop myself from making Norse too weak and easy to devour.

I'm thinking Burgundy, or maybe a Dutch game (It feels short, but that's the only appeal).

I'll be here to read, Sinitahr. Civ V looks like crap anyway. >.>. I'll wait for some good, reasonable mods come out for it before I think of getting it. So keep firin' away, Sinitahr. You've got an entertained audience.

Top Bottom