1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Name, Flag, Motto, Anthem,

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by Nobody, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Sigma

Sigma Censor

Blkbird:

I guess at this point we must say to each his own, and agree to disagree. I don't know why I'm being so adamant about it - maybe it's just me being stubborn. After all, I like my own flag design better than either of the "redone" Swissempire flags. :D

It's up to the people to decide. I would like it to be noted, however, that the poll should only decide which design to use, after which a second poll (if necessary) would decide which version of the selected design to use. Did that make sense?

2. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

Well, personally I would like this, too. But I think others may consider different versions of a things to be different things. Maybe we need a pre-poll to decide if or not we should make the decision two-step? (Btw, it wouldn't be limited to the flag, the anthem may allow some "patching" as well.)

3. Illini Rule

Illini Rule Chieftain

that does not look like a flag. It looks like the star i 3 feet in front of the flag

4. Sigma

Sigma Censor

Since so many people feel like criticizing my use of effects in my flags, I've created a flat version of my own flag:

5. Illini Rule

Illini Rule Chieftain

much beter, but still not my favorite

6. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

wow i'm really confused. Are we using flat or 3-d or both? I'm so lost, as you guys will remember i made my original flag in paint! I just figured our what the .jpg or somthing like that was. Could someone sum the debate up, i like summaries:p

7. Sigma

Sigma Censor

When designing my flag and redoing yours, I used some 3D effects that I thought made it look better, but some people disagreed.

I imagine we would first vote on which flag design to use (yours, mine, or the other ones that were proposed). After the design was decided upon, we would then vote on which version to use (i.e., if my flag was picked, we'd vote on using the 3D one at the top of the page, or the flag one a couple posts later). Does that help?

8. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

Also, Bengeance your anthem needs words, and Octavian X are you putting a Fanatica type name into the nomination pool? This is for only 4 things. Who will organize the unit and city names, and the landmark names. Not to get all buerocratic( Hooverdam i can't spell) but i thiink we need a name office. Not to decide the names, but to organize and clarify and listify and all that jazz! With an organized list look at all the new entries. I don't know how to go around lobbying for this office(thread) could someone tell me how?:eek:

9. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

I'm impressed by your openness towards criticism. :goodjob: This is much better, but allow me to make a suggestion: Use full yellow (R 100%, G 100%, B 0%; or #ffff00) for the star. The current yellow (#cdcc00) looks a bit "dirty", the full yellow would brighten thing up. And while you're at it, you may replace the "almost full red" (#fe0000) with the full red (#ff0000) as well - it won't make any visual difference now, but it could when the image is eventually used in future processings.

10. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

The yellow on the New flag looks to off.

I for one like 5_stars the best. It looks like it could be a rel flag, but still kinda cool looking. :thumbsup:

11. 5star_US

5star_US Chieftain

thanks a lot!:D

12. Nomad Bryce

Nomad Bryce Innovian UU Cannon Turtle

I was also thinking that the full yellow would be better! I really like your flag sigma, but the yellow currently used looks like mustard.

13. Sigma

Sigma Censor

What's so bad about mustard? ;)

It was originally intended to be gold, but it's really hard to make gold look good without some kind of "shine" effect. So I present to you the yellow version:

Oh, and Blkbird, I definitely used full red but for some reason when I exported it as JPG it changed it to #fe0000. I exported as GIF and it fixed it. :D

14. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

I understand. But for a graphic that doesn't contain natural elements like gradient and lightening, using lossless format is far better. In fact, since there are only so few colors in use, a palette PNG (the common PNG, not Macromedia's own PNG) should be the best choice. My avatar for example is just that, a palette PNG with only 64 of the maximum of 256 colors being used.

15. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

know that the contraversy is over can we post the polls soon?

16. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

No we can't! There are other people, like myself, who also want to make submissions eventually, but only *after* it's determined which civ/leader we're playing. So there should not be a poll before the game has been created.

17. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

but then we won't know what we are called!. Also why would the name depend of the Civ/Leader. Unless your doing the Fantica variant, which would be a choice! You can also in the future submit names for cities, states, landmarks! It's not like you can't name things after this. I should really like to stop calling ourselves people of *insert nation here* thats just odd. Also we need to decide our name so when the generate the game, the nation can have a name to put in that box!

18. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

There is nothing wrong to use the default name for a week or two until the new name is decided. And the civ/leader is *of course* relevant for the name, flag, motto, anthem, etc. For instance, we may want to name everything in the native language of that civ.

Plus, I never use "*insert nation here*". "Out nation" is a much better choice.

19. Bengeance

Bengeance Civ Retributioner

Yeah, I agree. Lets say that we end up with Gandhi and India. We might very well want to make a concerted run at all religions and then we could very well want a flag that reflects that decision. It won't hurt to be default for a while.

20. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

NO NO NO

Swiss empire is 100% correct. We MUST chose before the game starts taht way we can get our flag added into a mod. How cool would taht be? Also that way we can chose our nations name.

(and maybe rename rosevelt alphawolf ;))