Native America Mod

Ok, here's a map of North and South America made by CivArmy, modified by me for this scenario. It's a large map. With all players it took my computer (Athlon XP 1900+ 512MB PC133 RAM) ~15-20 seconds per turn in the beginning.

It's not perfect. I made it quickly (~4 hours). I don't pretend to have realistic resources and starting locations. What I tried to do is give a general, realistic feel. For starting locations, I used the descriptions from the game. I made it possible for the Hawaiians to use their unique unit boat to populate all the Hawaiian islands and possibly make it to the west coast of North America.

Unzip the biq file to your Conquests\Scenarios folder. It's named Native America Map. Load that scenario in the game under "Civ-Content".

The file:

Native America Map.zip

And a preview:

Attachments

• NA_Map.jpg
    NA_Map.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 743
the

If you continue to experience crashes etc. Try this
NA Unit Crash Fixes - Thanks to Colonel Kraken

link is not working.

I have done the fix, will let you know how it comes out. Should 6.2 fix the Tikal problem I had?

tombuazit said:
the

If you continue to experience crashes etc. Try this
NA Unit Crash Fixes - Thanks to Colonel Kraken

link is not working.

I have done the fix, will let you know how it comes out. Should 6.2 fix the Tikal problem I had?

Oh yes, I'm sorry. I deleated NA Unit Crash Fixes because 6.2 incorporates all my fixes and the patches. 6.2 should, hopefully, fix the problem with the Tikal.

this mod looks great. I downloaded the file and all the parts to it. but, everytime I start a game with it, I get this message.

Load Error
ERROR READING FILE
Missing entry in "text\Pedialcons.txt":TECH_Hunting

Hope someone can help me out, appreciate it. I did everthing I was supposed to .

OK, i downloaded and played the Tupi.. until 735 AD - Kingdom Era
the game crashed with no error mensage.

somethings are a bit annoying:
-It was too easy to conquer other civs with the CS and some AI citys was undefended.
-Too easy to get rich, i was with 11030 gold (+105 per turn).
-The science rate is too slow (minimum 30 turns to research).
-The naval part of the game should be aprimorated, my slow canoes can't get to other islands (the game gets a bit boring if you don't have contact with another civs).
Other than that the mod is very great and cool to play.

Nice mod, we love especially the musics. There is no description for stuff in the civilopedia though :/

A coupla bugs I wanted to point out:

1) the installation paths are wrong, both of the main install and of the patch. You gotta zip the files with the correct paths and folder names, it's quite simple and would save a lot of headaches to people like Redd who will never play the mod because they don't about this stuff.

2) the Tupi AI has the option "never build settler" turned on. Due to this they will never expand. I don't know if this is wanted or not, but since the mod is on random map, hence not a scenario, I wouldn't do this because it's quite unbalancing.

Colonel Kraken said:
Ok, here's a map of North and South America made by CivArmy, modified by me for this scenario. It's a large map. With all players it took my computer (Athlon XP 1900+ 512MB PC133 RAM) ~15-20 seconds per turn in the beginning.

Over all, this is a good map (I do like the idea of tilting the continents on their side), but I have one beef... it portrays the midwest of North America as being far, far too mountainous. Namely, there's a huge mountain range where southern MN/WI, northern IL and Iowa should be. There should be hills along the Mississippi, but other than that, it should just be forests and grasslands. No mountain ranges in that area. Heck, we Wisconsinites call people from IL "flatlanders" but this map makes that area look like the Rockies.

Is there another more accurate map other than CivArmy's that someone has adapted for this mod?

BH

I used all the time this map. The resources are all random and if you tell me how i´ll upload the biq.

Attachments

• NA.jpg
    NA.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 429
re: the map, well, what I'm looking for, ideally, would be one with accurate placement of resources, etc... (something that CivArmy's did well; I just have beefs with how mountainous he makes North America seem).

Anyway, I'm unlikely to play this mod again as it's buggy. I played as Powhatan last night and had two issues/bugs:

1) Powhatan (and possibly other scientific tribes) doesn't get its free tech at the beginning like it's supposed to. Not a huge deal, I guess, but still not r

2) The "Native Grenadier" has a cost of 0 shields, which pretty much ruins any sense of balance in the near-end game. This is the deal breaker for me... I was having a pretty fun game till this came up.

All in all, this *would* be an awesome mod if not for that grenadier problem (and the free tech bug would be nice); I know the creator says he's not supporting this mod anymore... but if these are simple bugs to fix (I think they are, but I know nothing of modding), maybe we could get some help? I'd love to play this mod again, but I won't until that grenadier thing is fixed.

BH

If you open the Editor, look at Rules > Edit > Units
In the Popup menue you look for the Native Grenadier and then you can chance the shield cost at the upper left side.

R8XFT said:
Native America update

It was the Nez Perce, not the Powhaton that had no starting tech. Having the commercial trait, they now have alphabet as a free tech. The Native Grenadier now costs 60 shields to create :) .

Thanks for the quick response! (for something I paid absolutely nothing for and therefore have no reasonable expectation of anything resembling "customer support" : )

It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally discovered that Civ III came with an editor : ), so I was able to go in and make those map changes I wanted, etc... not sure I'm ready to post my map online yet, but here are the basic changes I made:

moved the upper Mississippi to the west slightly; removed extra river tiles around it; added the Wisconsin river, and the river that flows through Chicago; flattened out Illinois considerably

moved the Sioux starting location to be around Chicago; closer (I think) to their ancient territory; I know central Illinois is where remnants of a large ancient city were found several years back

removed the "Great Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa Mountain Range" completely, replaced it with forests mostly, and a few hills in SE Wisconsin; added copper and stone resources on those hills (WI is a major granite source); added furs and wood to some of the northern woods (this area is "The Big Woods" referred to in the "Little Prairie" books)

reshaped Lakes Superior and Michigan to be more accurate; added Lake Winnebago; added Green Bay; thickened out the UP (upper peninsula) of Michigan (it was way too thin); gave it the appropriate hills and forests

took out about half the wheat in the midwest and replaced it with maize; replaced some of the horses in the midwest with buffalo

replaced some of the mountains in the western stretch of the Appalachians with hills and forests

added lots of marsh to SE Georgia to reflect the massive Okefenokee swamp

I have no idea how all this will reflect game play; but I figure the point of CivArmy's map was to add reality to the game... if I can figure out how to upload my version of his map I will.

BH

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but sniff, sniff--I'd like a new version!
:cry: :D

I love this mod! If someone could "tweak" it and fix some of the minor glitches (missing .wav files/more techs to research) it would be awesome. Kudos to those that have worked on it to get it this far.

bostonkaiser said:
I love this mod! If someone could "tweak" it and fix some of the minor glitches (missing .wav files/more techs to research) it would be awesome. Kudos to those that have worked on it to get it this far.

Thank, well. Basically, Sword_of_Geddon and RX8FT have kept it going, especially in the beginning. I just wanted a NA mod, so I just wanted to make a spark. And thanks to Colonel Kraken for updating it consistently :)

Top Bottom