Naval Warfare

B

blitzy

Alright, I'm a big fan of the land war, but when it comes to fighting at sea, I take a peculiar enjoyment from it.

Thats because sea warfare is extremely subtle, and very interesting.

I'm very interested to get some distilled naval knowledge off experienced commanders. .

I am concerned primarily with the modern era. Unfortunately the age of rennaisance naval conquest cannot be replicated in the game. Only in the modern era does a proper navy become a working reality.

Blitz.

Ok well, when playing a Human person in a naval warfare game, you want to have alot of destroyers just in cause he has submarines. And destroyers are an overall good warship. Get a few cruisers and 1-3 Battleships. Also have atleast 3 carriers with fighters and bombers.
Break down:
35 Naval Vessels
20 Destroyers
10 Cruisers
2 Battleships
3 Carriers
And loaded with fighters and bombers
the bombers are used to attack the enemy fleet far away to weaken them before they get to you.

------------------
A.K.A Gregorius_Luxius
http://civfanatics.com Staff and forum moderator

Havent played against human, but I have always loved battleships, I usally make some spies to destroy coastal fortress and then destroy units in city, its good way to save population of city. Altough battleships are kinda useless after computer has discoreved rocketry.

I like to use the navy sparringly, especially against the computer. The computer loves to throw out those cruise missles. But I love how the ships bypass city walls, very effective until ppl start building coastal fortresses. But then if you make them build coastal fortresses then it took so turns away from them. So ships can be used to slow the enemy down a little.

------------------
-PaleHorse76-
All rights reserved, all wrongs avenged.

Naval warfare is the best way to go If you have control of the ocean, you can block them off from their other colonies/continents. Then you can get the landlubbers!

-----------
HARRRR!

I hardly ever use ships because I like the land units better and whenever i do get ships out the enemy usually allready has control of the sea i usualy play on one huge contenent were getting ships would be stupid because alls there is is lakes but when i do have to resort to sea power i allways go with A. crusers and make sure there vetran.

------------------
VANILLA CUBE
the great

Yeah, sorry about the Blitz and blitzy thing. I've got two computer entry points for accessing the web (usually college, 'cos it costs me nothing), and the same name can't be used for both. They are both me though!

Sounds like playing humans is very interesting, although I unfortunately never have.

One of the great disappointments with the AI - and I think many others share my sentiment - is that it is utterly useless when it comes to the high seas.

I am surprised to hear that light ships have to be used against humans, but this is probably to be expected. The more sly your opponent gets, the faster your navy has to be.

For once I will have to agree with Sun Tzu and his bombers.

On land, bombers suck. At sea, they ROCK.

When I fight at sea, I like to think of it as a campaign in the desert, and a geurilla campaign at that.

This is primarily because of the terrain, which is utterly monotonous.

This mono-terrain completely changes the nature of sea warfare. On land, there are many geographic factors affecting the dynamics of the battlefield.

Hills, passes, roads, cities - they all affect the nature of the battlefield, and decisively influence the fighting.

At sea, in a general war, there are far less dynamics. Meeting the enemy fleet can be very random, and lead to considerable delight or horror.

Thats why bombers are so lethal. They patrol and strike beyond the range of any other ship (nukes aside). Also, they can be used to press home a land war, and can switch between land and sea bases. In an invasion from the sea, battleships are left behind on the coast after the first push inland.

I also think there are two types of player psychology. There are those who like to rule the waves, and generally upstage their opponents by humiliating them with fast-moving naval wars.

Then there are land players, who stick to the continent and annihalate on a local level.

Rocketry kind of ruins the fun a bit though.

Blitz

Hey, I've just read the guideline thing you put up. Please don't delete my accounts because I've got two entry points. If its a problem, let me know what to do and I'll help you change it.

Blitz.

me? i never build military units at all! i only go for technology. couldnt do it against humans, i know. works against ai though. ships do not provide decisive victories, though. i build naval units after space ship, or, when i launch a naval bombardment (for protection for trans).

Yeah i love Naval Warfare, But you can only get a good Naval War against a human player, Although i've had a few decent naval battles with The AI on Deity, Mongols and other aggressors can build quite a nice navy for the AI

------------------
A.K.A Gregorius_Luxius
http://civfanatics.com Staff and forum moderator

"Do you worry that you're not liked
How long till you break
You're happy cause you smile
But how much can you fake"

"My mother's always tried to change herself
She never learned to let things be
She doesn't know how bad she messed me up
Cause now she seems so fake to me
But I love her"

"When shadows paint the scenes
Where spotlights used to fall
And I'm left wondering
Is it really worth it all?"

Blitz(y), you do not need 2 accounts just because you have 2 entry points. You are mistaken. I often log in from the college, and use this very account. What specific problem are you having that has led you to this belief?

------------------
Civilization I Master of masters
Webmaster of Civilization I Fanatics Center

When I try and come in from this computer, and use my 'Blitz' name and password, it says 'no such person registered' or something like that.

Blitz

That is strange. Make sure that you are spelling your user name correctly. I know this sounds stupid, but I can't think of anything else that would cause the problem. Try logging in manually from home (on the Blitz account) instead of using the save-password feature. In other words, see if you can reproduce the error at home. It may be that you are doing something wrong when logging in that in fact has nothing to do with separate locations. (I am writing this from the college, by the way)

------------------
Civilization I Master of masters
Webmaster of Civilization I Fanatics Center

Just testing it again

It works!

blitzy is no more!

Blitz, the one and only

Thanks guys. Feel free to delete the 'blitzy' account.

[This message has been edited by Blitz (edited November 15, 2000).]

Well, about naval battles with the AI, in all of my experience the AI has never, ever been able to use a carrier correctly. In a normal game, the AI seems to just not ever build carriers. In a scenario where the AI starts with carriers, it usually tries to bombard a coastal city or something with the ship itself, usually before it even uses the planes.
Battleships do remain useful after the AI has rocketry, so long as you have A.Cruisers to stack with them.

------------------
Who can do without the balance between life and total devastation

I have no great experience of civ2. I just ended and won a game at Emperor mode with a friend and our next step will of course be Deity.
So far, we only had one "naval" game. The world where we were was a bounch of little islands and wwe were Vickings so... let's go with the sea !!
Of course u have a hard life without Magellan Wonder ( that i consider one of the best five wonders ).
And i agree with SunTzu.. we were against Mongols most of all and they had such a great fleet, very impressive.

AI can't use ships properly ( AI cant do anything very properly ). It uses destroyers against cruiser, it leaves transports near or visible to ur ships. And yes, i never saw an enemy carrier.

I think an AEGIS + Battleship is really great. I they are both veteran u only have to use a nuke or a loooong series of vet.submarines.
I havenever played MP but i think it should be great. I am very worried about time in MP. Do u have only a short time to move all your troops ? In our last two games it took sometimes an hour to move all our troops.

I LOVE this couple : paratroopers+railroad . U can go around the world in a few turns, sometimes only two. And u can flood the world with ptroopers. But i need so much time to move all of them !

So one question : how is the time managed in MP ?

thx

Wentu

When I make a naval blokade i a narrow strait, with a few battleships, i make them go to sleep, so I wont have to use them each turn.
BUT when some other navy noses around, it wakes them up, so I have to send my ships to sleep again.
I cant fortify.
Is there any way to duplicate fortify ?

Actually, I find it most useful to have my blockades (when I can build them with any degree of haste) waking up to the passing of the various navies. Allows me to keep a relatively close eye on the movements of the enemy, and it allows me to move my ships out of the strait before my allies need it. When playign the world map, it allows me to prepare a naval defense for Rome or London at least a turn or two in advance of needing it. And it allows my battleships to get the drop on the enemy fleet.

Naval warfare is generally very expensive. But if you can pull it off successfully, it makes the rest so much easier. Just always be sure to stack your battleships with Aegis Cruisers. Veterans, if possible. Them suckers can take a dozen missiles without slowing down. Very useful.

Top Bottom