Need computer help

OneFastWarrior

Asthma Hound Chihuahua
I have a problem with my computer
It says something about an error and do you want to stop running scripts on this page. It happens in many websites including this one.

If you can tell me what it is and what to do I would be very greatful.

Internet Explorer

It means that some JavaScript is causing the page to run slowly. If you click OK, IE will stop rendering JavaScript on the page and it will be a lot faster. Probably don't want to do it on this site because the forum runs on JavaScript and PHP working together.

The only thing it kills on Google Maps is StreetView. Don't know about other sites.

It does not do this on Firefox. and on Explorer it just asks yes or no, but it continues, so NO MORE EXPLORER!!

Yes it does. Particularly after upgrading to a new version. Moving from IE7 to IE8 on my desktop resulted in excruciating slowdowns that aren't present when IE8 is installed over a fresh (ie (pun not intended), barley or never used) copy of an older version or in Windows 7. My copy of IE9 used to be quite fast but has slowed down even though I no longer use IE as my primary browser.

Yes it does. Particularly after upgrading to a new version. Moving from IE7 to IE8 on my desktop resulted in excruciating slowdowns that aren't present when IE8 is installed over a fresh (ie (pun not intended), barley or never used) copy of an older version or in Windows 7. My copy of IE9 used to be quite fast but has slowed down even though I no longer use IE as my primary browser.

Provide a source as to the mechanism that causes this?

I don't know the exact cause, but it's very well known that Windows slows down over time and bloats up (and IE is a part of Windows).

I had a copy of XP that went for four to five years without a format. Close to the reformat, there was about 20 GB of data that could not be accounted for by data, applications, or the OS.

Pre-reformat, it took 30 seconds to open a new tab in IE8. Post-reformat it takes half a second.

I had a copy of XP that went for four to five years without a format. Close to the reformat, there was about 20 GB of data that could not be accounted for by data, applications, or the OS.

Sometimes it happens when you install & uninstall programs or even if it just sits around not being used. Isn't it called software rot?

Or it could possibly be slack space. That is when, clusters, part of a cluster is used but the rest is unused but becomes wasted.

Where do you want a source from? It's not like scientists spend time analyzing the disk space habits of Windows. Common wisdom with XP is to re-install every 6 months from everything I've heard.

You will never see me make a claim about performance in these forums that I can't backup.

Also, I don't care about XP, only about modern operating systems, I haven't used it in years, so make sure your source is for Vista/Win7, and remember, we're talking about IE slowing down, not the OS.

IE is a part of the OS. It seems to be mainly a problem with upgrades (I have never been able to upgrade without taking a speed hit, and all the computers I've set up during my internship seem to follow the exact same pattern despite the upgrade being the second or third thing done after the OS and drivers are installed and the computer added to the domain). That said, in my experience, Vista and 7 are much better than XP in this area, though it doesn't hurt that there are more barriers between IE7/8/9 and the OS than the practically seamless integration between IE6 and XP (fun fact: IE10 and Win8 will be much more integrated than present versions of IE/Windows; the UI for Win8 is even done in HTML/CSS/JavaScript!).

It's also "common wisdom" to regularly maintain your system. If you don't regularly tune up the system, it starts running poorly. Reinstalling every six months is tedious and unless you're using some kind of imaging system it's easier to simply run spy/adware scans weekly, and with XP defrag on occasion. Not to mention clearing out temp files and cookies....

And while IE is integrated into Windows, just because IE is slowing down doesn't mean that the OS is. There are a lot of things that IE does that the rest of the OS doesn't touch.

It's also "common wisdom" to regularly maintain your system. If you don't regularly tune up the system, it starts running poorly. Reinstalling every six months is tedious and unless you're using some kind of imaging system it's easier to simply run spy/adware scans weekly, and with XP defrag on occasion. Not to mention clearing out temp files and cookies....

And while IE is integrated into Windows, just because IE is slowing down doesn't mean that the OS is. There are a lot of things that IE does that the rest of the OS doesn't touch.

I like to do a chkdsk before a defrag.

You're on Vista, right? Post-XP you shouldn't need to defrag, the system does it automatically.

I have Vista but the automatic defragger doesn't really do it very well, I've noticed sometimes either my system or data partition can be badly fragmented. Though that may be on account of the type of stuff I do with my computer.

Top Bottom