Need testers for new editor

okay what are you working on for this editor

P.S: I really like your avatar

Last edited:
Who will work on it

Edit: I download editor on my surface pro but I won't let me open a biq file in my civ 3 in my documents

Last edited:
Hey I tested your editor on Windows 10 and it worked when I open escape from zombie island 2 elite

Edit:I forget to say when i imported my biq it rejected me I have the net framework

Guess that problem with the "unhandled exception" error was never fixed. I'm having the same problem. :(

:bump:

I'm curious, have there been any mods released that make use of the fifth-era capabilities of this editor, which Steph described in post 836?

Steph said:
However, I'm working on an "expanded" version of the game, where the rules embedded inside a save file are modified when you reach a new era.

Basically, it allows 2 main things:
- When you change an era, the settings can change. Rome, militaristic in the ancient era, can become Italy, commercial, in the medieval era. The roads can reduce movement cost by 2 in the medieval era, by 3 in industrial, and by 4 in modern times, etc.

- You can have more than 4 eras. When you reach era 4, era 1 "disappear", and era 5 is added.

I'm changing my personnal mod to this format, testing the system at the same time.

As far as I could tell from reviewing the old posts - and consistently with my memory - it never quite got to the point of being advertised as ready to build with. Nonetheless, I was playing around with it a bit tonight, and the potential is there; it's a question of whether it can be done with the latest version, not whether it's theoretically possible. So I'm curious if someone did wind up releasing a mod with these capabilities, or started work on a mod with these capabilities.

For those wondering why the bump after all this time, it was the result of a blending of ideas, particularly around the excerpt, "the rules embedded inside a save file are modified". If you leave off the "when you reach a new era", it becomes a powerful concept, more so than when limited to changing eras, and that concept was the one I had been pondering. The possibilities for modding are indeed significantly expanded with that flexibility, and after ruminating on that and remembering this capability of Steph's editor, I became curious just how far this had already been pursued.

Here’s how I made my biq’s work on your editor I used quintillus’s editor and save and I imported my bio to your editor and it worked

Quintillus
I do not remember the completed feature ever been released.

IIRC the trick was with saving and exporting saved game into the BIQ file via special shell:
1) player starts and plays 4-eras game as usual - but from that shell;
2) game is auto-saved on very last turn (shell);
3) last turn saved SAV converted into the BIQ (shell);
4) game auto-restarts (shell) and can be continued.

The main problem there was inherited elements, e.g. Tech Tree. If one civ advanced into "era 5" and another one is still into "era 3" then this is the show-stopper. Setting min & max times for researching a tech would fail either - Aeon mod has tech research time min = 2 & max = 4 turns and even under these conditions it's impossible to guarantee one small civ will not be tech-backward due to tech trading.

Additionally this brings necessity to develop special editor (BIQ file was turned into Steph's BIQX format to contain > 4 eras) to work with > 4 eras simultaneously. Buildings upgrades (like you need the building A to build the building B), units upgrades and other inherited stuff should be organized in correct way.

That was interesting and useful task - e.g. look at the overcrowded RaR tech tree, it could be improved by splitting into 8 eras.

Also this would help to overcome some limits:
* buildings 256 items limit: conditional - most of old buildings need to become obsolete to disappear. This can be planned ("scripted"), though;
* resources 256 items limit: same note here;
* civs 31 limit: same note here as well - some of them to be destroyed and replaced (or not) in new BIQ file.This is all about pseudo-scripting then.
Spoiler Mem'ries :

This option would lead to the Rhye's mod for the Civ4 "Rhyes and Fall of Civs" IIRC.
Like when you play as Romans and captured Spain, at some point Spanish medieval units appear on the map and crush your legions (from my experience). :)
But playing as Japan once I overcrowded Americas with tons of knights, captured Aztecs & Maya and defended against USA due to a HUGE number of just knights. :D

* variations with the Space Race victory.
Spoiler Alternatives :

"Rhyes and Fall of Civs" has special victory condition for Aztecs + Mayas = build 3 (or 5) super-temples or wonders. In terms of the Civ3 = build space ship and win.

Plotinus brought alternative solution in his "Rood & Dragon" scenario = Irealnd has monks with "enslave" capability, and that "slaves" could be "sacrificed" into enormous amount of cultural points => cultural victory. So additional task for human player was to prevent Irish from achieveing this goal by conquest and removing them from Brtania island. But if he could have alternative Space Ship then (IMHO!) he'd use it.

All these conditions cannot be applied to completely random game, they'd work for specific scenarios only - and this is new & more sophisticated level of limitations.

Just wanted to post my experience for anyone still using this. I'm running it on Windows 11, and have found it to be useful. I have to run is as Administrator each time or else it crashes. Additionally, Expanding a map is incredibly useful but extremely glitchy. Always make backups and preferably use a version control (like git) before using it. In my experience, you can only expand in one direction at a time. Attempting to expand in multiple directions at once (such as 10 blocks in south, east, and west) causes errors, so you may need to expand your map in several different batches. Additionally, I found issues arose when I expand in opposite directions sequentially. For example:
  • I expand East by 10 blocks
  • I save the new map and load it.
  • I expand the map West by 10 blocks.
  • Either I receive an error or the map becomes corrupted. It can become corrupted where the editor crashes if I open it, or it can corrupt the map data such that cities and terrain are haphazardly mixed up.
Instead, I find I can expand it in a direction, followed by a non-opposite direction, and then expand in the opposite direction. For example, I can expand East, then North, then South.

Thank you Steph for making such a useful tool! I haven't found anything with a map expand feature like this.

How do you run it on Windows 11? On what settings?

(also, congratulations on your first post!)

Just wanted to post my experience for anyone still using this. I'm running it on Windows 11, and have found it to be useful. I have to run is as Administrator each time or else it crashes. Additionally, Expanding a map is incredibly useful but extremely glitchy. Always make backups and preferably use a version control (like git) before using it. In my experience, you can only expand in one direction at a time. Attempting to expand in multiple directions at once (such as 10 blocks in south, east, and west) causes errors, so you may need to expand your map in several different batches. Additionally, I found issues arose when I expand in opposite directions sequentially. For example:
  • I expand East by 10 blocks
  • I save the new map and load it.
  • I expand the map West by 10 blocks.
  • Either I receive an error or the map becomes corrupted. It can become corrupted where the editor crashes if I open it, or it can corrupt the map data such that cities and terrain are haphazardly mixed up.
Instead, I find I can expand it in a direction, followed by a non-opposite direction, and then expand in the opposite direction. For example, I can expand East, then North, then South.

Thank you Steph for making such a useful tool! I haven't found anything with a map expand feature like this.
I have found the map expansion to be very useful.

How do you run it on Windows 11? On what settings?

(also, congratulations on your first post!)
The only issue I had with windows 11 was needing to run it in Administrator mode. Otherwise, I have Steph's editor under C:/Program Files (x86), while my steam library is under D:/SteamLibrary. I don't run it under compatibility mode either. I never have gotten Expanded Scenarios to work, but I'm not sure if they're even finished.

Thank you! Glad to be here

Top Bottom