Need testers for new editor

Steph

Multi Many Tasks man
Retired Moderator
I've started to program a new editor for Civilization III. The goal is to have in one editor all the flags/parameters, and tools such as Gramphos copy tool.
No change in the gameplay, just an editor which is easier and faster to use (multiselection for deletion, alphabetical sort, filtering, etc.)

I need testers to, well, test it.

Requirement:
- Have conquest editor (it works only with conquest)
- Download microsoft Framework (the editor is made in C# 2005)
Download the editor

Try this one if you have Window 7 - 64 bits and the other link doesn't work.

For the moment, it's a work in progress, so don't expect to do everything with it.

warning: my editor doesn't read compress biq files yet, so don't forget to disable compression before saving!

You'll notice I have changed the organization of the flags, and grouped them in a more logical way.
I read and save the whole file, I do not display all the parameters in the interface yet. All the rules are displayed, the scenario properties, custom players data and map data are not displayed yet.

version history.

Version 0.8.2, 16/01/2010
- Support added for charm and teleport options
- Warning : saved game and expanded game management are work in progress, do not try to use them yet!.

Version 0.8.1, 22/12/2009
- Correction of a bug preventing the correct updates of the dates in the scenario properties
- Correction of a bug preventing changing the civpedia entry of a unit
- Compressed files with a space in the name should now uncompress properly.
-Warning : do not try to open a saved game, it's still a work in progress and will not work yet.

Version 0.8.0, 19/12/2009
- Editor splitted in several smaller windows, easier to manage and update for me
- Correction of several errors with refreshing (ex: add something in a list, but refresh the wrong one, so you couldn't see the change)
- Correction of errors corrupting the file if adding/deleting some items (like Spaceship parts).
- Added a tool to count the number of units for each civ, each types, etc.
- Added a tool to edit the preplaced cities : change ownership, preplaced buildings, culture, size, etc.

Version 0.7.10, 30/08/2009
- Better error handling for compressed biq files.

Version 0.7.9, 20/08/2009
- Support of compressed biq files added

Version 0.7.8, 15/08/2009
- In the unit filter, possibility to filter on the "ignore terrain cost" option.
- In the unit filter, possibility to filter on the name of the unit or the civpedia entry. Use of "*" Supported; Example : *Sword* will show French_Swordsman and British_Swordman.
- In the building filter, possibility to filter on the name of the building or the civpedia entry. Use of "*" Supported; Example : Ca* will show Cathedral and Catacomb

Version 0.7.7, 11/08/2009
- In the unit comparer, new column to show the required advance, and sort on this column either by name or index (right click on the list to select the option in the contextual menu)

Version 0.7.6, 09/08/2009
- Correction of a bug : the required government for building was not saved properly.
- Correction of a bug : a great wonder was also a small wonder, and could be built twice. Now it's a proper great wonder.

Version 0.7.5, 05/07/2009
- Correction of a bug when cropping maps with cities that where not deleted properly if on the edge.
- Correction of a bug in the "create building to produce unit" function

Version 0.7.4, 01/07/2009
- When exiting the editor, a message proposing to save is displayed.
- Support added for recent files (up to 4 files are stored).

Version 0.7.3, 28/06/2009
- Correction of a bug where copies of building had "BLDG_" for civpedia entry instead of the proper entry
- Add a new feature to automatically create building to autoproduce units

Version 0.7.2, 20/06/2009
Correction of the bug that crashed the editor when using graphical mod for the modern era in the tech tree builder

Version 0.7.1, 07/06/2009
Correction of the bug where colateral damage was not saved properly in the PRTO page

Version 0.7.0, 30/05/2009
New map tools added (menu tools). To use when the scenario contains custom rules and custom map.
- Expand or crop the map in any direction, even if the map includes preplaced cities or units
- Remove every city, units, mines, roads, etc. from a map.

Version 0.6.0, 18/04/2009
- A new tool has been added. To start it, select "Compare unit.." or "Compare building..." (last command on the contextual menu in the BLDG or PRTO page). The tool displays the units or buildings in a multicolumns list. The columns can be reorder (drag and drop), you can sort the list by clicking on a column... and you can edit directly by clicking a cell!

Version 0.5.5, 16/04/2009
- Correction of a bug that preventing the correct update of technology requirement for units after a technology has been moved or deleted.

Version 0.5.4, 13/04/2009
- Support for scientific leaders in the game page (scenario properties)

Version 0.5.3, 08/03/2009
- Correction og the bug with the inversion of "Allow cities" and "allow colonies" flags in the terrain page
- Contextual menu (right click) with "All" and "None" added for the most important lists with checkboxes, so it's faster to select all of them or none. Done for Good/Terrain, Unit/Civilization, Unit/Ignore Terrain cost, Playable civs.

Version 0.5.2, 06/03/2009
Correction of a nasty bug that could screw a biq file after added a new tech or natural resource.

Version 0.5.1, 05/03/2009
-The filter for units has been modified to allow details for the resources.
-The preview for the "Extract scenario" function is available.

Version 0.5.0, 31/01/2009
- In the general settings, the Spaceship parts and culture levels have been added
- The filters have been added to the remaining pages
- The Add copy and copy for Buildings and Citizens have been added
- The Stealth targets has been added to the unit page.

Version 0.4.7, 25/01/2009
In the tech tree builder,
-a graphical mod has been added. It displays the tech tree as it should appear in game, with all the icons
-The logic behind the size of the techboxes has been reviewed.

Version 0.4.6, 19/01/2009
In the tech tree builder
-Tech boxes have the size they would have in game
-Tech boxes are displayed in white if they are generic (grey when selected), or in blue if they are civ specific (darker blue when selected)
-The cost of each tech is displayed in red in the techbox
-The cost of the selected tech is displayed at the bottom left, and can be modified directly from here.

Version 0.4.5 18/01/2009
-First version of the tech tree builder added (click on the Tech Tree Builder button in the Tech page)
-Correction of a bug with locked alliance when the civilizations were not all playable.

Version 0.4.4 16/01/2009
-Victory points, disasters and locked alliances addeds
-When adding a new resource, the list was completlty filtered. You add to use “reset filters” to see the resource.
-Change of resource type from Bonus to other is now save properly
-Bug when reanming a resource corrected
-The "move resource to insertion" menu is now enabled when it should

Version 0.4.3 13/01/2009
- Scenario properties added
- Correction of a bug where the worker strength was decrease by 1 everytime you selected it
- Support of advanced order as "automate", that was not saved in the previous version.
- Name of tabs changed to the 4 letters code, so they all fit with the scenario properties added (and there's still room for the plagues, alliances, victory points).
- Correction of the filter on bombard strength and range for units.

Version 0.4.2, 07/01/09
It's now possible to add, delete, sort and reorder buildings and governments. All the main commands are done for all the pages.

Version 0.4.1, 03/01/09
Custom maps should now be supported. You can add or delete units and civilizations, and the map should update correctly.
If you place units / cities / colonies for Civilization A and B, and the civilizations are A, B, C, and then delete civilization A, with the regular editor the units and cities that belonged to civ A are deleted, but the units and cities that belonged to civ B are then "reasign" to civ C.
With my editor, they remain assigned to civ B.
I've tried to test this feature, but I'm not sure it works 100% OK. The way colonies are saved in the map doesn't seem to match the description made by Gramphos. With my test, the update seems OK though... And for victory location, it seems it doesn't work well. If I place a victory location for civ A and then delete civ A, the victory location is reassign to none instead of being deleted as it should, and then it can crash the editor...

Version 0.4.0
-With the addition of building and governments, all the pages are now editable except for a few details like spaceship parts! Next; add the filter, add, delete, etc on the pages which still need them.
-It's no longer possible to browse the pages before you loaded a scenario
-The name of the loaded scenario is displayed in the title of the window
-When you save, a message indicates when the save is finished.

Note: buildings have a "CanBribe" flag, but in the sample I've used, it's always set to "false". However, it doesn't seem to prevent propaganda... So I'm not sure what is the real effect of this flag.

v 0.3.4, 2008/12/28
Bug corrected: list of civilization availability initially displayed as empty (bug created by yesterday correction, I hope everything is right now!)

v 0.3.3, 2008/12/27
-Bug corrected : error when selecting a unit after adding a new unit (recent bug created with the update of a deleted civ in the list of available civ)
-Bug corrected: the population cost of unit was not saved (recent bug created by the handling of multiple strategies units)
-A few more pages are now editable. The parameters can be changed, but it's not yet possible to add/delete/sort the items in the page. The "new" pages : Citizens, Culture, Diffiulty, Diplomat and espionnage, eras, experience, workr job, world size, and flavor.

v 0.3.2, 2008/12/26
Major update, all the pages are displayed completly, and the units, advances, civilizations, resources and general pages are editable, and show most of the new features.

v 0.2.0, 2008/11/26
- All the pages have been added, although some are almost empty
- I now read the whole file, including maps and players data. It should work with different options (custom map, players and rules on/off)
- It can save the file.
- Don't try to change anything in the interface, it is only for display: changes are not connected yet.

v 0.1.4, 2008/11/11
- General settings page added

version history.
v 0.1.3, 2008/11/11
- Government page added

v 0.1.2, 2008/11/10
- Windows resized to 1024x768
- Range of numeric fields updated to match the conquest editor
- Pages added:
-- Citizens
-- Cultures
-- Difficulty levels
-- Eras
-- Diplomacy and espionnage missions
-- Combat experience
-- Natural resources
- Pages updated
-- Building , with the link to the resources.

v 0.1.1, 2008/11/09
Initial version with only the building

Extraordinary :thumbsup: Just a nit-pick: perhaps add the labels for the Flavor types?
Best,

Oz

As I said

"Last thing: for the moment I've read only the building part of the biq file.

So the list for advanced, resources, etc are not taken into account yet. I'll expand the building pages everytime I'll have done a new type of object. "

The labels for the Flavor types will thus be added when I reach the flavor section of the file. And it can take some time : here are the sections in the correct order.

CTZN (Citizens)
CULT (Culture)
DIFF (Difficulty Levels)
ERAS (Eras)
ESPN (Diplomats and Spies)
EXPR (Combat Experience)
GOOD (Natural Resources)
GOVT (Governments)
RULE (General Settings)
PRTO (Units)
RACE (Civilizations)
TECH (Civilization Advances)
TFRM (Worker Jobs)
TERR (Terrain)
WSIZ (World Sizes)
FLAV (Flavors)
WCHR [World Characteristics]
WMAP [World Map]
TILE [Tiles]
CONT [Continents]
SLOC [Starting Locations]
CITY [Cities]
UNIT [Units]
CLNY [Colonies]
GAME [Additional Scenario Properties]
LEAD [Player Data]

First bug :D
If I click on the default number string in the building list (without having a BIQ loaded) I get this unhandled exception:
Spoiler :
Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Steph_CivIII_ExpandedEditor.MainEditor.UpdateBuilding()
   at Steph_CivIII_ExpandedEditor.MainEditor.listViewBuildings_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WmReflectNotify(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Steph_CivIII_ExpandedEditor
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Travis%20Christian/Desktop/Steph_CivIII_ExpandedEditor.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

On the non-functional side, it has same size problem as the Firaxis editor. I can't see the bottom even hiding my taskbar. It would be nice to throw the whole thing in a scrollpane or whatever they're called in C#

Well, for the moment it's not "protected" against dummy testers who try to click everywhere before loading a biq ;).

About the size, what is your screen resolution? I've made the screen 1280x1024... And so I guess I forgot that you could have a task bar..

If you maximize the windows, does it help? I could make it maximized by default.

Just a reminder to anyone else, this thing won't load compressed files, so if it's reporting an exception when you load a BIQ it's probably compressed.

With an initial test of a building with a check for every flag and a number for every value, the only thing that didn't transfer was Naval Defense. (and of course the references to units, techs, etc)

I noticed a some differences in the numerical bounds. All of your number fields allow 0-999, except for Pollution which allows -999-999. The original bounds are:
Cost: 0-1000
Culture, Pollution: -100-100
Production, Maintenance: 0-100
all Combat Values: 0-1000
all Happiness: 0-255
Armies: 0-50
Frequency: 1-100

Just a reminder to anyone else, this thing won't load compressed files, so if it's reporting an exception when you load a BIQ it's probably compressed.
Good remark, I forgot to include a warning in the OP

With an initial test of a building with a check for every flag and a number for every value, the only thing that didn't transfer was Naval Defense. (and of course the references to units, techs, etc)
Naval defense is in my editor, it was listed in the format description... But I couldn't find where it's changed in the standard editor??

I noticed a some differences in the numerical bounds. All of your number fields allow 0-999, except for Pollution which allows -999-999. The original bounds are:
Cost: 0-1000
Culture, Pollution: -100-100
Production, Maintenance: 0-100
all Combat Values: 0-1000
all Happiness: 0-255
Armies: 0-50
Frequency: 1-100
For the moment, I'm just loading the value (they are all stored as int). When I'll be able to save, I'd like to try what happens if I go beyond the standard range.
It will probably not display properly in the standard editor, but I'd like to see what happens in game.
So for the moment, don't pay to much attention on the range.

Naval defense is in my editor, it was listed in the format description... But I couldn't find where it's changed in the standard editor??
Not sure what you mean... you can't find where the value is stored in the file?

For the moment, I'm just loading the value (they are all stored as int). When I'll be able to save, I'd like to try what happens if I go beyond the standard range.
It will probably not display properly in the standard editor, but I'd like to see what happens in game.
So for the moment, don't pay to much attention on the range.
Fair enough, but some "dummy tester" like me is likely to get an exception trying to view a building with negative culture. ;) Besides that, all of the numbers seem to transfer fine as well.

Not sure what you mean... you can't find where the value is stored in the file?
No, I found the value in the file, but I can't find where you can change it in the standard editor.
I can see a naval power, a naval bombardment defense, but no naval defense

Fair enough, but some "dummy tester" like me is likely to get an exception trying to view a building with negative culture. ;) Besides that, all of the numbers seem to transfer fine as well.
Good point. I'll stick to the default range for the moment, and I'll try to see if we can go beyond later, once loading/save in standard case is working OK

No, I found the value in the file, but I can't find where you can change it in the standard editor.
I can see a naval power, a naval bombardment defense, but no naval defense
Oh, right. That would explain why it displayed a 0, since I didn't set any such value in the editor. :crazyeye: it could be an artifact that was taken out of the game, since naval units can't directly attack cities.

Oh...

I've resized the window so it can fit in 1024x768.
Since I have always had the microsoft framework installed since it was introduced and have kept it up to date I decided to give it a try. It does not fit entirely on my screen my native resolution is 1440 x 900 I thought you resized it? I can manually resize the window however when I do that it cuts of the bottom portion of the editor.
I have not encountered any problems with the flags but I cannot see or adjust the gains other buildings section and also the buildings near the bottom of the list.
It opens uncompressed biqs fine and saves fine no errors noted. I did not get as in depth as weasel Op however.

Since I have always had the microsoft framework installed since it was introduced and have kept it up to date I decided to give it a try. It does not fit entirely on my screen my native resolution is 1440 x 900 I thought you resized it? I can manually resize the window however when I do that it cuts of the bottom portion of the editor.
I have not encountered any problems with the flags but I cannot see or adjust the gains other buildings section and also the buildings near the bottom of the list.
It opens uncompressed biqs fine and saves fine no errors noted. I did not get as in depth as weasel Op however.
I've resized it for version 0.1.2, but it's not released yet. I'll post it today, after I've added a few more pages

Wow, 7 new tabs! You're a machine! But I guess we already knew that.

The only better way I can think of for government relationships is a 2-dimensional grid like this, which would be independent of the currently selected government
Code:
      Gov1  Gov2  Gov3  Gov4
Gov1  -     %     %     %
Gov2  %     -     %     %
Gov3  %     %     -     %
Gov4  %     %     %     -

I think a new tab/somewhere else in the same tab with government relationships set out in that way would be very helpful! As it is at the moment, it is very easy to forget to set relationships up, and not to mention kinda awkward

I've finished to read all the governments parameters, and what a crappy way to store that in a file!
They use long to store boolean...

I have several "unknown" information.

I'll put them somewhere as read only in the interface, if you understand what they are supposed to be, tell me!

I should post a new version tomorrow.

Version 0.1.3 uploaded, with the governments.

I confirm it's strangely stored in the file. I had to use a small trick for the ruler titles, it seems the file contains garbage characters if the titles have never been intialized in the editor when a new government is added, and then the rest of the file was screwed.

So please try o add government, and play a bit with the title combination, to check if they load properly.

Also, I have 3 unknown parameters, with strange values for new government. I have no idea what they are supposed to do yet.

There is a "required maintenance" field, but the info is also in the Free units... So they seem redundant, but they are not synchronized for new government.

Last, for the relation, I've used this method instead of a two dimensions array as suggested by Weasel Op so the width is constant. I think it's a good compromise.
At least, you can see at a glance if you set properly this government.

Top Bottom