• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Networks, Internet connections and Routers

Esckey

Deity
Okay so a problem lately at my place is that as soon as my roommate starts using the internet my connection goes in the toilet, but his stays fine. My connection tends to just disappear every now and then, usually requireing me to restart the router or my computer. But nothing bad ever happens to his connection. And since he was the one that set it up and says the router may need to be replaced but I'm wondering if it could be anything else?

We have 2 computers and 2 Xboxes. My Computer and Xbox are connected to the router and his computer and xbox are both wireless.

What router model is it?

You can also try setting QoS on the router to give equal priority to your and his traffic.

Hoo boy, I had a similar router. I dont remember if they even have QoS. I can tell you that they're pretty crappy (you already know this I believe.)

Currently I have a WRT54GL (Linksys) running DD-WRT on it. It had some teething pains, such as dropped connections, reboots, but after about a week it settled down and has since been running with no issues at all.

Top Bottom