1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New 2000 word preview just popped up on Reddit

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by keweedsmo, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

It also brings a smile to those of us who look down at those simpletons who writes "ciV". Joy to the whole community! :)

2. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

The ciV trend will die out soon enough I suppose. :D

3. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

(@ Thormodr)

off topic (and my last off topic reply in this thread):
    Spoiler :

Tell you what. I'll post a poll on the matter. If it really turns out that more people people think it should be encouraged than people who think it should be discouraged, I'll drop it and just live with it, letting you go on your merry way. It'll also probably go some way to help us stop derailing this thread.

Maybe I am OCD. But really, is there not even some hint of truth in Shurdus' earlier message? Really, I ask of you what is the point of that particular abbreviation other than "it looks nice and some people already use it". I don't know how a bunch of a few letters can "look nice" compared to any others - to me that suggests something more serious than OCD actually.

It seems to me you want to keep using to spite people like myself (who perhaps are OCD). The reasons I want it to stop being used are not selfish ones - I genuinely think it is unnecessarily confusing for newcomers and problematic in other ways like being difficult to easily distinguish from cIV and being case dependent (making it difficult to read) and hence not being search friendly as a term. I'm taking great care not to make personal attacks on anyone using the abbreviation - instead I am asking why they want to use it and trying to stick solely to the subject and not the person.

Why don't people call Starcraft 2, "*C2"? That is a more intelligent abbreviation than SC2. (I apologise for using sarcasm on that one. :()

P.S. If you head to the poll, please help me keep the thread civil and free from personal attacks. Even implying I'm OCD (while I don't mind it here) could be construed as getting too personal, and I know you're more mature than that from your other posts around here.

4. Wolle68

Wolle68 Warlord

I find it difficult to distinguish between cIV and ciV at a glance. I don't think that makes me OCD; I think it just makes me middle-aged.