New Attack Ability: Galleys Can Attack Units in Cities!

must have happened to me 4 or 5 times to me over the years . A variation of the privateer hiding in your port under attack by the Al but does not require any ship in port .

Hey Spoonwood, I've just had this same bug happen to me. The same as with that video: a roaming AI galley finds a city of mine and sails up close, then declares war and attacks head-on.

Slight difference: this is with the disk-installed Civ3 Complete 1.22.

Also, since I've been asked to upload them for examination I might as well do it here.
460 AD is the turn during which Spain first dumps a swordsman on swampland and then uses a presumably empty galley to attack Isin. I replayed it several times and Spain always does that, no matter what. IT breaks out of paying me money for the Engineering tech which it presumably cannot afford.

Attachments

• galley bug autosaves.tar.gz
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • amphibious galley bug 2.jpg
    amphibious galley bug 2.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 36
you are doing good , the game decides you should be in war , who knows maybe to be slowed down with war weariness . And there is no sizeable stack around to pillage your tiles as it trundles onto some weakly held town of yours . So , it just happens . A wholly pointless attack but it is not likely that you can force your way into the CPU and slap some electronics silly .

Actually, as you can see, there is that lone swordsman that will try to capture my worker next turn. The thing is, the army of horsemen is already within range thanks to my road network.

On the plus side, war happiness from an enemy which cannot mount a realistically effective invasion.
On the downside, this diverts resources in a strained economy which I could just be using for science or for taking over the similarly-sized Iroquois next door: an AI on another continent is building Copernicus' observatory while I am just researching Monotheism.

But, back to the bug, has anybody discovered what makes this happen?
@WildWeazel? @Ozymandias?

nobody said AI was smart . And of course as an human you will be angry and mount a counter invasion . Now that as a boost , when the swordsman captures your worker it will kill the captive on the spot . That somewhat seriously pisses me off .

in deference to the game ı have so much loved , the contraints of the time should surely force us to accept that the designers at the time did not fully mean it to be idiotic ...

Actually, as you can see, there is that lone swordsman that will try to capture my worker next turn. The thing is, the army of horsemen is already within range thanks to my road network.

On the plus side, war happiness from an enemy which cannot mount a realistically effective invasion.
On the downside, this diverts resources in a strained economy which I could just be using for science or for taking over the similarly-sized Iroquois next door: an AI on another continent is building Copernicus' observatory while I am just researching Monotheism.

But, back to the bug, has anybody discovered what makes this happen?
@WildWeazel? @Ozymandias?
If you do not have privateers it does not make any sense, I have only seen parked ships attacked in ports but never when there are regular units. It may be as simple as the galley being there on the turn that the AI declares war anyway, but since you cannot remove the galley from play it is hard to tell. I recall some issue with AI ships being surrounded by land on 3 sides, so it might be attacking when it tries to leave as well, but this is just a theory.

As an aside for the privateer: The AI does not intend to declare war at all when they do this, they are never (intentionally) on a war footing when the bug occurs. The AI have a 'seek and destroy' attitude towards privateers and if they are close they will attack one. The bug is that they will attack a privateer if it is in your city's port, unintentionally declaring war by hitting the city itself. They mean to kill the privateer, not attack you.

There are no ships in the city of Isin, nor is a ship being built. There are only two Enkidu Warriors.

in deference to the game ı have so much loved , the contraints of the time should surely force us to accept that the designers at the time did not fully mean it to be idiotic ...
The down-and-dirty was that Soren Johnson was "parachuted into" Civ 3 midway through its development. Although not by Soren's hand (who went straight on to Civ 4) some of the issues can be discovered in Sulla's comments on the matter.

Top Bottom